Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2005, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

BUMP
Old 08/16/2005, 04:00 PM
Moved On

Im tryin Chad, but as is obvious I am spending time in here, instead of cutting wood, or finding someone to weld me a metal one together, and I wish I had never tried to assure people now, as he hasnt contacted anyone ofem from what I have read here, and I am trying to look at him as a standup guy, but it sure is getting more difficult with each post about his lack of contact.

Im finally home from that job on waterman I had mentioned, and instead of sitting down doing nothing I get online to come here and see whats up, and still evidently nothing is, and to me thats a problem, but yet he wants me to rush right over and get his paint and electrical work totally done.

And hes the one who said to me 2 or 3 weeks ago he wanted to have me do this work, and said I will just give you a $1000 for the labor and materials, and that we would go to home depot and get the stuff and he would then give me all the remaining money left from the $1000 we went in with.

Well needless to say I did find that an interesting offer, though not a regularly practiced thing I would think, anyhow we left home depot and he gave me like 300 bucks or something when there was a total of 700 left roughly, and seeing as I hadnt done the work I didnt complaign, but I did ask him why he said one thing and did another, which is what seems to be happening here.

Even if unintentional the lack of contact is not good, as he does have friends and aquaintances whod let him use thier computer to send a few emails, and he has the phone to make calls with, but yet to this point everyone in here is still posting of no contact, so when I get done with the painting I will see if I get paid off, and if that happens, I will definitely feel more confident he will make good.

Ah well, enough said, and if you guys know any good welders with a little free-time, whod like to build me a stand, please do let me know as I am in dire need of one, I have everything else but that and my plumbing, and a sump, but those will all come in short order I hope once I get the stand and get it in place with the tank on it.

Thanks and good luck with your reefs,
Frank.
Old 08/16/2005, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Just following the post. Wow its nice for frankiej to be helping everyone, thats really nice. This business though...wow you guys are patient. I would be filling out a police report if I were in your shoes. I have had do fill out police reports for other areas away from me and my business (non-aquatic related) quite often, and only have had problems filing in California police departments. I have seriously had to file on behalf of my business with 15-20 states in the past 4 or 5 years. Everytime (except CA) the issue(s) was/were resolved within 2 weeks tops. California police, well I know some people that are mods here work for the police in CA so let me just say they are liberal and too busy for out of state complaints. Its hard, seemingly impossible to fill out a police report in CA if you do not reside there. The FBI seems to agree with that statement as well since I have called them about CA police refusing to take reports and complaints in the past form out of state person(s). Regrdless, the police are there for situations just like this. The business owner may end up honestly having a streak of bad luck or maybe it something much worse. The fact remains that from the statements herein it does not appear that there is a definitive answer to what is going on, and seeing the owner seemingly sit idely by and state nothing to the customers (that we know of) regarding missing items etc at all, nor did he bother to post anything at all in this post (which if frankiej spoke to him then its only a fair assumption he knows of the thread), i would be filing if I were in any of your shoes. I didn't ordered anything from this business nad have no opinion one way or the other, however, regardless what is going on with the owner you don't have your merchandise and its been way to long for most. If one complaint comes in to his local police that person will obviously get the product or money back. Two people file both with get there money back or the product, but if everyone files with the police I would expect the police would take this seriously and figure out what truly is going on so everyone knows. Furthermore, once the police are involved they will stay involved until they can document that the investigation was completed. My personal opinion from the posts herein is to stop waiting and file with the police. I have no ill will towards this company, but people I sincerely give you props for you are much more patient than me and most.
Old 08/16/2005, 04:41 PM
Moved On

Hi again, I would like to add that since I have been in the hobby, Nic has helped me a ton, whether it be giving me deals on nice zos or what have you, or doing some work for him on his setup, or whatever it is that he may need to have done, and alot of times he gives me equipment he no longer is using or basically anything related to the hobby, he always helps if he can, free coral frags sometimes, whatever I can think of almost he has done, so I really think all will be made well, but obviously not in the timely fashion we all would hope for.

So people who are waiting to hear from him that arent local, I can definitely understand the frustration, and as previously stated I do think he will make all wrongs right, except maybe for the time waited, and even that maybe as I feel he would give anyone whos been waiting this long some nice extras to make up for the problems you have all had with your orders.

Thanks again and good luck with your reefs,
Frank.
Old 08/16/2005, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Well, if everyone would give me their list of what is owed, I would have already contacted the police. But everyone just contact them individually, maybe that is the way to do it.

Tyler

Click the Red House for my Feedback
Old 08/16/2005, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Frank,you dont need a welder, saltwater will rust metal !! All you need is some wood,screws,drill,saw,and Nic to give you a hand !!
also alot of r/o water to fill that tank up !!
Old 08/17/2005, 12:01 AM
Moved On

So I have been told several times now, but just as many times I have been told metal, as it would be a smaller more compact structure, and also will be much stronger, but im not the rocket scientist so have been just getting alot of opinions, anyhow wood, would be easier as I could do that myself, but I have had a few offers to have metal stands built for 250-300 bucks, so if I painted it and all that good stuff, priming it first after it has been thoroughly cleaned and free from any oils and such which may be on it, I think it would last alot longer than most would think, anyhow just my opinion and a bit of the beaten trail here.

As a side note I went and got the painting done for Nic, except for about a 12x5 foot section of the floor, and he still says he will be taking care of all shortly, and he did say he already knew what was up with you Tyler, and that you had received some of the stuff, but there was some kind of problem, which he intends to fix, that being said I think I would like to just wait a bit and see what happens, otherwise if nothing is done, I will gladly do what I can to get something done by him about this, as I am really starting to feel like a schmo for trying to even help explain this all for him, which as said before is his responsibility, anyway everyone take care and I will check back again soon.

Good luck with your reefs,
Frank.
Old 08/17/2005, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

Well tell the man to call me on my cell. If he already knew then there is no excuse for him to be "taking care of it shortly". Thank you very much Frank, Tell Nic, or Dial the phone for him. 404-427-7299. If he sends stuff he will be even more screwed as I have tried to let him know just to send the money back becuase its been SO long, that I no longer have a tank setup. Now thats rediculous.

Thanks,
Tyler

Old 08/17/2005, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Wait, did I read that correctly? I have already recieved stuff? If so he is talking about the wrong person. Becuase I have recieved nothing. Not even a phone call.

Old 08/17/2005, 01:30 AM
Moved On

That, or maybe he is full of it, I dunno anymore, and really am becoming frustrated myself, and its not even my deal, but anyone who is going to take anothers money for some goods/services, and then not provide them for an extended amount of time with no communique as to why, or when it will be done, is nothing short of irresponsible, and I hope to all heck I get my last couple hundred for finishing the paint and electrical work I have done.

Thanks Tyler for not being t'd off at me, and hopefully this isnt going to end up being the way alot of others seem to think it will end up being, but if it does I am on everyones side involved as much as that will count for.

Good luck with your reefs.
Old 08/17/2005, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for your help. Hopefully he will give me a call in the next couple days. Or its a police report for him. I just hate to put that on somebody, but I've given him ample chances.

Tyler

Old 08/17/2005, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

frankiej, tell him to come post here what the problem is. let him speak for himself ... these people deserve to hear from his mouth why he wont refund their money or deliver the product they ordered .

i think one of the above posters is right , unless he contacts these people personally with some sort of explanation, the people who got ripped off should call the st Louis missouri police and file fraud charges. contacting the better business burrow is also an option.

really no reason they should all sit around and hope for the best ...
Old 08/17/2005, 04:11 PM
Moved On

Believe me, I totally agree, and its like I said before in another reply here, he could easily use a friends or libraries computer to send some emails, and even if he has no email at present to use, he could call them, and give them the explanation they deserve, as to filing any charges, I myself would only use that as a last resort, but it is starting to seem like thats all thats left if continued non contact is what keeps happening, and for sure people should not be just sitting around and waiting for that, I mean they have jobs and a life or whatever, so I totally agree with your statements and just hope he hurries up and makes good before its to late for him to do so.

Thanks and good luck with your reefs.
Old 08/17/2005, 05:03 PM
kz skimmer rocks

what a bummer he is only hurting himself

frank you arent the only one, chad from midwest aquaculture said he talked to nic about it
Old 08/17/2005, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I believe his business is located in St Louis City itself. So any reports would need to be filed with St Louis City PD. The venue(department) that the crime occurs in, takes the report and runs the investigation. If you got into a car accident in California, and you lived in Texas, you wouldnt go to the police department in Texas to do the accident report. Same thing in this case. The venue where the crime was committed takes the report and does the investigation.

STL city PD Non-Emergency PH # 314-231-1212.
You will need the address of the business, and as much documentation as you have.

I suggest everyone get together in order to file a police report. They will all be seperate reports, but its the total value of the merchandise that makes the difference. If he refuses to either provide the merchandise or refund the money, that is stealing by Missouri law. Stealing over $500.00 is a felony in Missouri.

I've been watching this on the sidelines for awhile now, and had been trying to keep from getting involved. Nic is/was a member of our local reef club, SEASL, and I've met him before. He seemed on the up and up, but this is ridiculous. He needs to either refund the money or deliver merchandise.

Nick
Old 08/17/2005, 07:04 PM
Moved On

Yea I know, and it is not good to leave people hanging in the wind like that, and also he will no longer be in the city either, now he will be in the county, so maybe something to think about, but it did happen in the city, so who knows.

I just wish hed do the right thing and this would be all over but ah well, cant make anyone do anything, or at least not legally lol.

Good luck with your reefs, and also recoveries in this case...8^(
Old 08/18/2005, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

I want to thank you frankiej for what you have did or at least tried to do.
why cant he just send us our money back and drop it. if he doesnt he is only hurting him self like the above posts. at least email us back saying what the heck is going on.
Old 08/18/2005, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

and at this point i may have lost my money but WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.
Old 08/19/2005, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Good info to have....
However, 63101 is St Louis City, not St Louis County. You want to make reports by calling STL city PD Non-Emergency PH # 314-231-1212.

Nick
Old 08/20/2005, 11:45 AM
Master of my domain

wow, I am from STL as well, and I have met nic and bought many zoos from him over the past year or so (always local pickup) he does seem to be a upstanding reefer.

I now he had a serious bad luck stretch there for a while. Im sure he will take care of all outstanding issues.

As far as the customer service end goes. we have all dealt with the frustrations of not getting what we thought we paid for this is just another customer service issue that we can all learn from.

Hopefully things get resolved on a timley basis. I understand everyones frustration.
Old 08/20/2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Timley! Hah!

Tyler

Old 08/20/2005, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I wouldn't call it a customer service issue when you place an order in early July and pay through PayPal and still haven't received anything or heard from the company. I think its called theft, fraud or several other terms come to mind.
You have to realize that the web site was set up so that you ordered individual specific corals (WYSIWYG). Which means he was selling the same item to more than one person.

Fred
Old 08/20/2005, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Hmm.. ******* comes to mind.

Old 08/21/2005, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

he is supposed to send my order out monday I hope I get everything... I AM STILL keeping the claim with visa but I will cancel if I get every thing I ordered and when it is in my hands....
Old 08/21/2005, 03:39 PM
Moved On

Well, far be it from me to be a pesimist(hope i spelled it right), but I dont see how he is going to ship anything out as he doesnt have his setup going yet, though maybe he is going to his other friends place whos holding the majority of his stock, to pack and ship it from there, I will ask him tonight when I see him again if this is what hes doing, and if not I will reply here or pm with his answer to this.

Hopefully its not just a ploy to try and buy more time on his end, and hopefully he is going to do this, because if not I will have lost all faith.

Good luck with your reefs.