Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
Nope DC pump controllers don't behave that way. It's not a simple on an off. It's actually switching from 100% power to 30% every 1s or less.
Sorry thats actually what I meant, but neither the vortech or tunze do less than a 1s on their own because then they could do waves. Like I said, aquasurf looks like the real deal, but other than that, hmm. As someone who owned 6100's for a minute, what does a 100% to 30% really do for you? I'm all sold on a wave but pulsing, nah.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kimoyo
As someone who owned 6100's for a minute, what does a 100% to 30% really do for you? I'm all sold on a wave but pulsing, nah.
The 7095 has a 1s pulse and a 1.5 interval. That is short enough t create a wave. I've done it, but I found it lacking over the long term.

Constant flow at 100% with one of those pumps will cause acros to grow in one direction or strip the flesh off of them. A pulsing pump allows corals to be placed closer to the pumps, and allows the acros to grow in more random directions.

You can accomplish the same thing with multiple pumps aimed at each other, but dead spots are more likely to be formed.

We're way off topic now.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:52 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I can create the same effect as the 'wave box' with my tunzes. I just put them in the first interval mode on the shortest time setting. I get a 1.5" wave in my 125g... of course, then I dont get any water flow... but it IS possible.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Its very hard to get the precise timing down with these controllers to do nice waves, thats why the aquasurf with a tunze or diy vortech is looking like a very good option. And in tanks shorter than 4ft, forget about it, you have to go lower than 1s.

When I had my tunze I had them stay at 100% and switched back and forth between two of them which were mounted on opposite sides of my tank. So one went from 100% to 0% as the other went from 0% to 100%. I can do that with maxijets on my controller, no constant flow, albeit not with an interval as small as 1.5s.

I know people say tunze or vortechs are the best, just don't see why anymore with the other options out there, I guess its personal preference. Thanks for the discussion taco!
Old 10/30/2007, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kimoyo
I know people say tunze or vortechs are the best, just don't see why anymore with the other options out there, I guess its personal preference. Thanks for the discussion taco!
I like open discussion. the 1s pulse thing was ushered in by the 7095. The 7094 and 7091 are not capable of such short pulses, and offered less controllability than the 7095.

Best is such a "dumb" term. Really they ALL boil down to what suits your needs.

I'd say as a general rule (and this kind of goes back to the original post), you will see the most benefit from Tunzes and Vortechs in tanks larger than 100g and 5+ feet long.

I'm not saying they won't work for smaller tanks, but when you start hitting that 100g, 5ft or longer, you start realizing more bang for your buck with the Tunzes and Vortechs because the other options are expensive and energy hungry pumps. Additionally, the pumps' size in either case becomes less of an issue as the tank becomes larger.

I'd chose Vortech if it can be used with your setup, just because of the backup battery. right now, Tunze's flexibility (mounting control options) are the best. Further, there is no such thing as an obsolete Tunze because Tunze provides update parts and repair parts for all of their pumps.

My setup choice for my 240g is going to be switched over to 4 Tunze 6055 from a pair of 6100. I've been playing with one for a few weeks, and I like them. I put it on a 10g for kicks, and boy did that thing generate a swell with my 7095. My tank is only 4'x4', and I found my 6100 much too powerful for this tank.

For smaller tanks, the nanostreams, Hydors, Koralias and Maxi-mods are more than adequate. Tunzes and Vortechs are overkill for smaller tanks. You can still run them, but you do don't get as much benefit per dollar versus a larger tank.

The Hydors, Maxis and such can still be used for larger tanks, but it starts becoming inefficient in regards to tank real estate.
Old 10/30/2007, 03:56 PM
| ~ |

Vortech Wave in my tank. 48" long 32" wide. Two vortechs making a SMALL wave, about 50% powered, so big waves are possible. Using two vortechs on opposite sides is much better flow wise. You have two physical steams of current from each side as opposed to a stream and a frequency wave.

Love the flow, HATE THE NOISE. It's really bad if you ask me. BUT that's what you get by having the motor on the outside, noise.

Have a listen...

Ultimately, I'm undecided, but for the peace that comes from a quiet tank, I may go with Tunzes...
Old 10/30/2007, 04:53 PM
Charleston Reefer

If you are looking for a wave just get a tunze wavebox.
Old 10/30/2007, 05:03 PM
| ~ |

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
If you are looking for a wave just get a tunze wavebox.
Much larger piece of equipment and wave not as good IMO. Flow from two separate devices is better than one IMO.

Vortechs in other modes is less offensive with regard to noise as it is constant, but the pulse mode is probably most natural.
Old 10/30/2007, 05:09 PM
Charleston Reefer

Wavebox is not your only flow.....

You have to have other powerheads besides a wavebox. Wavebox is a lot better than vortechs for waves....
Old 10/30/2007, 05:18 PM
| ~ |

Two vortechs in wave mode can be your only flow because they are more powerful than wavebox.

Have you used both or are you just speculating?
Old 10/30/2007, 05:32 PM
Charleston Reefer

More powerful really has nothing to do with it....
Old 10/30/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

I'm planning an AGA 210 gal with 2 side overflow boxes. I'd like to have either a wavebox or the vortecs set up to sync a wave from side to side. I'm concerned that with either vortech system or a wavebox that the overflows will not function correctly with a either system in play? Is this a valid concern? Wave box would be placed in the center. Vortechs would be placed on opp end panels facing each other. Thoughts?

Brent
Old 10/30/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burton14e7
It's a new product, not a recall. I'd love bmw to send me a new 3 series because they updated it this year.
Me too the new M is out
Hell actually even just paying an upgrade cost and sending in my M would be sweet
Old 10/30/2007, 06:11 PM
| ~ |

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
More powerful really has nothing to do with it....
Obviously I'm not getting through to you.

Anyways, my original point is that Vortechs are louder than Tunzes if noise is a concern, just bringing another dimension to this thread.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:15 PM
| ~ |

Quote:
Originally posted by bbehring
I'm planning an AGA 210 gal with 2 side overflow boxes. I'd like to have either a wavebox or the vortecs set up to sync a wave from side to side. I'm concerned that with either vortech system or a wavebox that the overflows will not function correctly with a either system in play? Is this a valid concern? Wave box would be placed in the center. Vortechs would be placed on opp end panels facing each other. Thoughts?
Dual overflow will soften the sound at overflows, but there will be noise, and much more turbulence in sump. Wavebox has to be facing longways, so middle of tank probably won't work. Needs to be on one side or the other. HTH.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to add that they are both ridiculously priced.
If it wasn't for tunze's over inflated price I bet the market would have more reasonably priced devices.

I mean what are they really some magnets and a radio shack controller and a motor. hell my 14 year old could make either one of these in the garage.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:39 PM
saltwater in my veins

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverM3
If it wasn't for tunze's over inflated price I bet the market would have more reasonably priced devices.

I mean what are they really some magnets and a radio shack controller and a motor. hell my 14 year old could make either one of these in the garage.
Don't forget the duct tape.

Sounds like you are set, get him on an aquacontroller next. I heard they are just some old sony playstation parts and digital watch LCD's stuck together with silly putty.

Last edited by HBtank; 10/30/2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10/30/2007, 07:04 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Quatro
Obviously I'm not getting through to you.

Anyways, my original point is that Vortechs are louder than Tunzes if noise is a concern, just bringing another dimension to this thread.
You still need linear flow no matter how powerful the wave is....
Old 10/30/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

how noisy are the tunze waveboxes?

Brent
Old 10/30/2007, 07:20 PM
Charleston Reefer

I can't hear mine at all. When you first install it does make some noise but that goes away after a couples days.
Old 10/30/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks USC fan. Will probably end up going with the Tunze wavebox on side panel.

Brent
Old 10/31/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverM3

It is kind of crazy that I've spent more on pumps for my 120 than I have on the tank, skimmer, and lighting combined.
Old 10/31/2007, 09:06 AM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Same here! My total spent on pumps/vortechs for my 270 is more than the cost of the tank. This is ridiculous, I spent a great deal of time carefully selecting and getting the best deal on my tank and then blow a wad on the flow systems.
Old 10/31/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Why, according to Oliver a 12 year old could make better pumps in the garage.....

I'm still on the fence.... If I could come up with a way to buy two Vortechs with out having to off load my current Tunze setup I would love to do a side by side comparison.... I would just hate to off my Tunzes then regret it 2 months later.
Old 10/31/2007, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

When I moved to TX I did my rounds on all the LFS in the area and one of them had Tunze's on one tank and Vortechs on another. He said he can't possibly ask people to spend over 800.00 on either pump setup with their new tanks when they see maxi jets for 30 bucks unless they can see for themselves what each one offers. I agree with him too unless you've been in the hobby for a few years you already know what you're dropping cheddar for.