Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2005, 12:34 AM
TRC Leader

So what exactly is happening every 30 seconds? Is it turned on for 30 seconds, then off for 30 seconds? Very creative.
Old 10/17/2005, 08:33 AM
Life is good! It's gooud!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
So what exactly is happening every 30 seconds? Is it turned on for 30 seconds, then off for 30 seconds? Very creative.
I'm wondering the same.......If it is on and off every 30 seconds, can you just remove on of the tabs so it turns on and off every minute?
Old 10/17/2005, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

I used a different timer, made by internic, which has the tabs. It works great, and has been for a few weeks so far! thanks!
Old 10/17/2005, 03:57 PM
Brevard Area Reef Society

yup, its can be what ever you set the tabs to in 60 sec intervals. Mine is set for every 30 sec and my original one is still running with no probs!
Old 10/17/2005, 04:46 PM
T5 Reefer

This timer idea is neat.

I wondered if anyone has thought of using a relay to turn two pumps on/of opposite of each other to create wave-like flow?
I did a drawing in MSpaint so I could get my point across.

Please forgive the kindergarten-like drawing.

Just a thought.

I can build the little relay setup in a box if anyone wants to build the timer for me and we can swap them... I can solder up a couple. The only problem I can see is if the relay has a loud CLICK every 30 or 60 secs it may drive me nuts.

--itZme (Kevin)
Old 10/17/2005, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Maybe I'm wrong but the noise issue could be solved with a Solid State Relay?

The idea sounds interesting! I dont know if electrically its sound, but its interesting none-the-less.
Old 10/24/2005, 12:54 AM
T5 Reefer

Smile

Well, this is the greatest thread I think I have ever read. I just completed one of these mods. I already had the exact same timer here except that it said Timex for the name brand. Obviously rebadged by the same manufacturer for several companies.

Great instructions and pics. The hardest part for me was getting the switch tuned to work right but not hold back the motor. I had to take it apart about 5 times and try another tweak each time.

I ended up doing something a bit different. Instead of turning the power off when the "OFF" tab passes by it just breaks the contacts for about 1 second then they reclose and power the pump again. The same thing happens when the "ON" passes by. It just blinks off then turns back on again.

This came to me after reading This thread by melev about a Maxi-jet mod. It reverses flow almost every time the power is turned off then on again.

This MJ mod is AWESOME! 5 minutes total and I had to take about an inch of water out because it was flowing up and over the side of the tank even after lowering the pump by 2 inches. I did this with an existing MJ 1200.

It really worked out great since this timer blinks the power every 30 seconds or so and the powerhead shoots water one of two positions 90 degrees apart. Sometimes it doesn't reverse every time but that is the whole idea of random flow.

I even bought the parts to make the relay reversing box that I drew up in this thread but now have no need for 2 powerheads.

THANK YOU Mr Bojangles for your excellent pics and taking the time to share this with us.

-- itZme (Kevin)
Old 10/24/2005, 01:11 AM
T5 Reefer

Sorry, forgot to add the pic to my reply... Here is the best description I could come up with to explain the difference in the mod that I did. Hope it helps someone.

-- itZme (Kevin)
Old 10/24/2005, 10:24 AM

itZme, your welcome! So you are using a maxi-stream with this to swtich its directions? I might have to try that since I have 2 of them in my tank! Im glad you are happy!
Old 10/24/2005, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

itZme, thats a GREAT idea. Combining the two is a great solution to making random flow. I might have to get some powerheads and use this for one of my tanks to give it a try.

Any chance you have a video of it running? I think it'd be cool to see it in action.
Old 10/24/2005, 04:32 PM
Registered Member

it's all good fun until it reverses and sucks a clown into the outlet nossle!
Old 10/24/2005, 05:10 PM
TRC Leader

When it reverses, the flow is a different direction (with the mod I posted) but it doesn't suck a fish into it as the water always goes in through the base of the cover which is mostly screened.
Old 10/24/2005, 06:02 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by tekknoschtev
itZme, thats a GREAT idea. Combining the two is a great solution to making random flow. I might have to get some powerheads and use this for one of my tanks to give it a try.

Any chance you have a video of it running? I think it'd be cool to see it in action.
Well I had to use my digital camera to shoot video and then compiled them using windows movie maker but here is a 4.8 mb WMV file you guys can watch of this mod done in a 29 gallon with the Maxi-jet 1200 4" below the surface. It still bulges the water up almost overflowing the sides of the tank even after I lowered the pump down to a 4 inch depth after modding.

There is only one Maxi-jet used in this setup as the link I gave to melev's thread shows how to cut off the outlet nozzle to make the flow reversible without any further modification. It took literaly 2 minutes to mod the pump. I feel that it has increased the output by close to double compared to the factory flow.

I did not drill the holes in the intake end of the pump as mine is still running a undergravel filter in this current setup.

I do NOT leave the timer where it is in the videos. I only did that to help you guys see what was going on here with it spinning once per minute and the two settings both performing the same way instead of their ON and OFF functions.

Sorry about the green video... it is the way my camera compensated for having the metal halide "in its face".

----->>> Video here <<<--------

Any other questions please ask.

As far as sucking anything into the pump... it is totally impossible since the flow will push anything away from the nozzle end and the only suction is going into the intake end (which is through a UGF in my case and the factory intake has a fine mesh intake tube.

-- itZme
Old 10/24/2005, 06:05 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by itZme

As far as sucking anything into the pump... it is totally impossible
-- itZme
I guess I should never say TOTALLY impossible... I just knew someone would call me on that statement

-- itZme

Oh yeah the video is 4.3mb not 4.8mb
Old 10/24/2005, 06:38 PM
TRC Leader

That's a good video. Look at that timer go, like time is flyin'.
Old 10/24/2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I have a similar timer I might have to jump on the band wagon and give it a shot. I just did a slight mod on an aquaclear 802 powerhead that seems to be kicking out more flow and much more gentle. Basically I was cleaning it and just removes the yellow and red internal discs that direct the flow, and remove the toggle switch. Now the impellor spins and sucks water up from the existing spot and shoots it out the slot where the green flow direction lever was. Seems to be working well and you just have to remove things, that's it.
Old 10/24/2005, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I had to plug the former exit tube with a rubber stopper, to make the flow exit the side slot.
Old 10/24/2005, 08:44 PM

yeah with that vid it look preaty sweet flow. Do you or have you tried puting some air in the intake to show the flow in the tank? You could also try one of those timers by the same company that have the tabs that go all the way around so you could have multiple switching. It looks like you have a awsum (sp) water movement setup!
Old 10/24/2005, 10:19 PM
TRC Leader

I posted a video when I fed the tank to give a better impression of the flow in my son's tank. It should be in that thread that was linked above.
Old 10/24/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Very sweet....I would do that myself but the idea of hearing that timer switch on/off every 60 seconds while I sleep would drive me nuts.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 10/24/2005, 11:40 PM
T5 Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by rkl303
Very sweet....I would do that myself but the idea of hearing that timer switch on/off every 60 seconds while I sleep would drive me nuts.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bojangles

you are going to cut and bend the tabs so they look like the pic below. you need to do this so the motor will have to not work so hard to turn the dial so you will need to feel the switch when it takes little effort to turn on and off and you will also be making the switches "click" sound be very quiet to no sound at all.

The only way I know it has switched is the sound of the water changing directions ans splashing against the tank wall against the last current.

-- itZme
Old 10/25/2005, 09:59 AM

yeah there is no shound what so ever. When you normally use the timer the sound is made by the 2 tabs contacting, but when you do the mod you need to bend them so they don otherwise the resistance on the timer motor is to great for it to be turned. Thus giving you a very queit timer.
Old 11/19/2005, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

sweet Gary
Old 11/20/2005, 01:31 AM
Registered Member

Built one about a month ago and is running perfectly. Great mod for the price and time involved.

Thanks,

Armadillo
Old 11/20/2005, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

this is one of the coolest diy mods yet. I am going to have to give it a try to bad I just threw away a timer that I thought was done for I could have moded it.