Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Back On Track

Okay, I finally got my hands on a Rio 1100 pump. I am in the process of upgrading so I'll keep you guys posted. As much as I love the performance of the Tunze 9010, I'm interested i seeing how this thing actually performs. Maybe I can cater this skimmer towards my needs. Hope this brings this thread back on track. Sorry for the teaser. The upgrade should take an estimated week or so.

BTW, I'm taking opinions on how long do you think the flex tube that connects the pump to the skimmer inlet should be. I just eyed it. I kind of like letting the pump sit a little deeper from the surface.

~Mike

Last edited by limestro; 09/21/2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Wow that things pretty huge.
Old 09/21/2007, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

I know.....too optimistic
Old 09/21/2007, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

ooops did not see the third page Skimmate pics please! Cute kid by the way
Old 09/21/2007, 07:00 AM
One Good Friend

I would make the tube as short as possible. The less head the better air your gonna pull. And post some pics of it when its up and running, that thing looks huge.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:21 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

i cant stand this....
im going to have to order one myself and be a guinea pig.
hopefully the company will sell me one singularly at wholesale through the store, and not make us buy $500-1000 of products to get a good deal, because my boss will laugh...(im already laughing)
all in all their skimmers seem mediocre to good at best, certainly no high performance skimmers.
but im so sick of there not being a decent hang on under $500, i'll try anything.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

koralteck, I feel your pain I really feel this unit will set the mark for HOBs.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:44 AM
One Good Friend

I know koral, its annoying. Bermuda's supose to be getting back with me and Kodyboy here soon. We've been talking with them for a few weeks, i've been actually talking with them for months. But they seem on board to help in any way now. In the mean time here are some pics of it first set up. The skimmate is getting darker as you can see at the top but they still have alot of updating to do, hopefully soon. Here's the pics.

http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/images.htm
Old 09/21/2007, 09:44 AM
One Good Friend

And you can get it for 226 with a rio1100 for free at one of there suppliers.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:31 AM
Moved On

Hmmm Luke ... There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of bubbles in those pics. I certainly hope once broken in it will skim better than that. When I had my modded JEBO180 set up the reaction chamber was solid white like milk when it was running. That skimmate pic looks little more than water IMO.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:38 AM
clownfish fan

having seen the MCE 600 in action on a few tanks this skimmer does not really compare. it looks like it produces less skimmmate than my mce 300 and a lighter color at that. but as far as price it does compete with the 300. then again my mce uses 7w and has no large rio heat pumps in the tank. and if you were to compare it to the 9005/9010, then it would really get beat.

looking at that tank and knowing what a 20scfh looks like in a skimmer body i have to ask where is the air?

Coraltek please buy this skimmer and test it out.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:49 AM
One Good Friend

They said it was pulling 13scfh but its still yet to be determined. There were two guys whith these skimmers on here and neither decided to share what they thought....so hopefully someone will get one and decide to share. I'm not going to touch one until there proven to be good. I still suspect with the right pump, not the rio or eco, they could be a good skimmer. I do wonder how much air that body can take though, i'm guessing 20scfh max with such a small neck and that may be pushing it.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:50 AM
clownfish fan

i think 10scfh would be a ton of air in there.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:53 AM
One Good Friend

And i've seen the mc300 and wasn't impressed at all with the chamber. Much of it was water. The mc600 pics from flint and eric? Look very good. If the skimmer was only reasonably priced but its not so they won't sell very many. Most hot people are newer guys and aren't willing to fork over the 500 bux. I'd just set up a recirc behind my tank if i needed a hot skimmer that bad.
Old 09/21/2007, 11:59 AM
clownfish fan

i am an mce 300 owner and i know the 600 is much better the collection cup in the mce allows only for wet skim but it does indeed skim

i would do the recirc behind or next to the tank that is my next step i think but i worry about microbubbles so i may do an above tank sump that would be the ultimate.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:02 PM
One Good Friend

10scfh

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
i think 10scfh would be a ton of air in there.
Yea, i really think its more like 5-7 scfh in there. I know it can't be 13 from the pic. Definately agree..........i'm supose to be getting pics of it with an air meter soon, so we'll see.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:04 PM
One Good Friend

Yea but an above the tank sump could be quite an eye sore.....wifey wouldn't go for that one. lol
Old 09/21/2007, 12:11 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Yea but an above the tank sump could be quite an eye sore.....wifey wouldn't go for that one. lol

i agree and so does my girlfriend.Yea so im back at looking for a used mce 600... really i cant find a way around it and im not sure an in tank tunze would be microbubble safe at all.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:15 PM
clownfish fan

Re: 10scfh

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Yea, i really think its more like 5-7 scfh in there. I know it can't be 13 from the pic. Definately agree..........i'm supose to be getting pics of it with an air meter soon, so we'll see.
when i was at MACNA RK2 was debuing their hobby grade skimmers and had one set up with a scfh meter running a plain venturi and it was pulling 10scfh. There were tons and tons of bubbles it was looking like a white foam inside the chamber on a tank with no bio load no less. the chamber on this skimmer should look like that, but it could overflow and overload the neck with that many bubbles?
Old 09/21/2007, 01:10 PM
g l a s s b o x

i know people like their bermuda's, but so far from the pictures i've seen they just dont have enough air. granted, turbulence is not a problem...but both the rogue and their other standalone models have see-through reaction chambers. that alone is enough to scare me away from them...and then there's that 13schf claim, err uhhh ummm.....

but really, venturi's can work very well (schuran, elos, rk2, mazzei)..... bermuda has their work cut out for them. there was even a post talking how the owner of a bermuda skimmer needed to run the venturi in warm ro/di water to unclug it...i thought these were supposedly clog free?

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 09/21/2007, 01:33 PM
One Good Friend

Re: Re: 10scfh

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
when i was at MACNA RK2 was debuing their hobby grade skimmers and had one set up with a scfh meter running a plain venturi and it was pulling 10scfh. There were tons and tons of bubbles it was looking like a white foam inside the chamber on a tank with no bio load no less. the chamber on this skimmer should look like that, but it could overflow and overload the neck with that many bubbles?
The other determining factor with a milked out skimmer is flow. If its a very fast flow it won't look as milked out either. A slower flow is milkier. Its tough to say and picures aren't always that accurate either. And were comparing a rectangle to a circle and that may have an effect as well.

Flint, supposedly the bermuda's aren't even venturi skimmers, there a different type of skimmer but couldn't think of an original name so called them venturi skimmers that are anticlogging. FWIW
Old 09/21/2007, 01:38 PM
Moved On

Now a mesh modded pump on that skimmer body would kick some serious doodoo IMO
Old 09/21/2007, 01:40 PM
One Good Friend

Well, i thought about what if you fed it with a meshmod pump and then you'd pull in air as well.....but i don't think it could handle a ton of air? And what would be the difference in this skimmer and a backpak in that case? Besides price
Old 09/21/2007, 01:42 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
. there was even a post talking how the owner of a bermuda skimmer needed to run the venturi in warm ro/di water to unclug it...i thought these were supposedly clog free?

actually they said never has one of their venturis clogged thats odd...

also they said these are not venturi at all. something else.

also they said all other skimmer technologys were outdated.

When asked about NW skimmer they were not even familar with the term even though many of their competition use the NW abreviation in the names of their skimmers.

and Miramars pictures are of close to clear skimmate the same skimmate that Bergzy got nobody has gotten something darker
Old 09/21/2007, 01:48 PM
One Good Friend

Thats all true, but that was the first day the skimmer was on the tank and running. I remember many of my skimmer's first days and most didn't do jack if anything.......so i'm still not judging it until its broken in and has an air meter hooked up to it. (I was shocked about the whole not knowing the nw abrv though, lol)