Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/25/2004, 11:08 PM
Huh???

well, I didn't have any stories to add until my Hispidus puffer decided to help me out the other night. I was cleaning my tank, not really paying attention to the fish when my 10+ " stars and stripes decided to see what my hand tasted like. I think he was just "mouthing" me to see what the heck I was made of, but he did enough damage to take a little chunk out of my thumb.

I don't think he bit nearly as hard as he usually does....thank goodness! I have seen him crunch big chunks off of the LR.....that would have sucked to lose a digit to my puffer....his little bite already had me yelling like a little girl that had her pigtails pulled
Old 02/27/2004, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

Just to add my 2 cents in on having been stung by aquarium organisms.

I got a nice little bite on my index finger of my right hand by a yellow tongan canary blenny aka poison fang blenny. My finger started with a dull ache and then i got a weird sensation in my right eye. I looked in the mirror and my eye was swollen for about 24 hrs. It was puffy and red. So to every body out here just bee careful !!

Gloves , Gloves , Gloves !!!! Just when you think it wont happen to you , it will ~~
Old 02/29/2004, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I agree with abatefish; gloves! I just bought a 15 pair by coralife (I think) three weeks ago; they already leak but I still wear them - they have two functions. They protect you and protect your tank from unneeded proteins and oils and whatever else is on your skin. Ever notice how that protein skimmer don't work as good after you stick your arm in?
Old 03/02/2004, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

out of curiosity,, I have heard that coral will grow in the skin. I never believed this but is what I heard that M marinum stuff? Was I being told something true by an uneducated person useing the wrong wording calling it coral instead of the bacterial granuloma?

Shannon
Old 03/02/2004, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

I am courious, I was told once that coral will grow in the skin if you are cut by it. I didn't believe it but what I was wondering was if I was being told about M M marinum by some one who didn't know about the bacteria granuloma?
Old 03/02/2004, 03:36 PM
Moved On

There had been some media coverage concerning the use of coral for grafting to bone. Oh and look, here's a qoute...

Quote:
There has been a great deal of research to design bone graft substitutes, chemicals, and devices that can stimulate the bone to fuse and grow together. Electrical current has been known for some time to stimulate bone to grow, so many surgeons use electrical stimulation devices during the first weeks of surgery to speed up a fusion. Artificial bone graft materials have been developed. Sea Coral, harvested from oceans, has actually been used as the basis for a structural bone replacement very successfully.
http://www.umm.edu/spinecenter/educa...one_graft.html
Old 03/03/2004, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I am courious, I was told once that coral will grow in the skin if you are cut by it. I didn't believe it but what I was wondering was if I was being told about M M marinum by some one who didn't know about the bacteria granuloma?
Mycobacterium marinum is a bacteria related to the bacterium that causes tuberculosis. You can get a M marinum rash from any water related source unrelated to coral exposure. Fisherman, dock workers and freshwater aquarium keepers get it also. Most problems from corals come from bacterial infections related to abrasions or stings (ie human skin bacteria) and/or reactions to the nematocyts ecspecially "fire corals" which are related more to jellyfish.

Regarding a few of the earlier comments on swimmer's ear:

-can be caused by bacteria and often yeast; yeast infection usually occurs as a result of the standard ear drops used to treat initial swimmer's ear infections - they contain both a steroid and an antibiotic, each of which can enhance yeast growth independently.

-the usual culprit in swimmers ear is a pseudomonas bacteria; the same bacteria grows in your sneakers; they like warm, moist environments.

- people with and with out ear wax get it; wax can trap moisture that enhances bacterial or yeast growth.

As for bone grafts & coral, I don't know the details of the research, but it surely is referring to coral skeleton, not live coral.

Last edited by Shablin; 03/03/2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03/07/2004, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I'd get that checked out and swabbed by a doc. I got a cut working in a tank (i work at my LFS) and a while after I picked up Mycobacterium Marinum. Fish TB pretty much. Any kind of blood infection like septicimia and the likes are bad. I was on Doxycycline for about 2 months and I still have a small scar on my finger from the wound. Bad stuff. If you notice any red streaks find a doc because then, if you are infected, the infection is spreading.
Old 03/10/2004, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by breedingroom
Don Jasper,
This very well needed. Please continue with it....the web site.
I am appalled that items like Zo's are available for sale with simpy no warning..... Pet shops don't sell friigin cobras do they? It makes no sense. Ever since the the thread with the guy with the dog, I have been on N ENDLESS SEARCH...tHERE REALLY NEED TO BE A SET PROTOCOL WHEN HANDLING ZOOS AS A HOBBY OR BUSINESS OR FRAGGING. eSPECIALLY FRAGGING. i MEAN i AM JUST APPALLED AT THE LACK OF ONFO OUT THERE.
This is very good info, however, I'm not into the fish stores should have a warning...

As a hobbyist, it is YOUR responsibility to educate yourself on any dangers associated with that hobby. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, and I will research ANY purchase I make... not only to ensure the health or functionality of my purchase, but for my own well being. Guess it's just the Libertarian in me coming out!

Be safe, all... you wouldn't grab a hot pan with your bare hand, so why would you stick your bare hand into a pontentially hostile environment
Old 03/12/2004, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility, and I will research ANY purchase I make... not only to ensure the health or functionality of my purchase, but for my own well being.
I guess you don't support obese persons suing McDonald's?!
Old 03/16/2004, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

I not too long ago was busy rearranging a few pieces of coral while acclimating my newest purchase from the LFS. I woke up on the floor behind the tank not knowing what had happened. My head was throbbing! I later discovered, that as a result of leaving the LFS receipt out in plain view for my wife to see, I had suffered a Calphalon blow to the cranium.

Becareful out there. Hide those receipts.
Old 04/07/2004, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

DonJasper,

After reviewing your quote...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonJasper
After I learned about palytoxin and that guy killing his dog I got all excited and worked up and web site about 'Safe Reefkeeping'.

But then realized that one no really pays attention to that sort of stuff until afterwards...

Except the recently wounded / poisoned - who are now 'true believers' in safety - who would care? I guess that’s why my photo is next to disillusioned in the dictionary.
Do you think there is enough interest in this topic to finish your informative web page?

I am very interrested!! This is a new concern for me. Until now I thought I only had to worry about getting bitten or stung by fish or invertibrates, not the microscopic critters in the water!!

Even if only a few people appreciate the advice, it would be worth it to help someone through a medical problem like M. Marinum, or better yet, prevent it from happening in the first place.
Old 04/08/2004, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Here's an interesting occurrence; I don't know if i would advise rubbing zoo's on your skin though!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=339519&perpage=25&highlight=state%20police&pagenumber=1
Old 04/08/2004, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

I have been re-reading this thread and have a couple of questions.

DonJasper;
What is this about a man who killed a dog with palytoxin?

Where do you go to learn more about Zoo's?

Shannon
Old 04/08/2004, 11:50 AM
Carpet Surfer

There is a zoanthids forum here on RC. At the top is a thread about the toxins associated them.
Old 04/08/2004, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Hello all. I'd forgotten about this thread until I recently saw it bumped back up. Just an update...

I'd finally gotten off antibiotics about 3 weeks ago. Wahoo!
I was on them for 3 months. (Well, make that 3 months and a week because I was allergic to the first antibiotic.)

Note for the ladies:
Unfortunately our bodies need some bacteria in order to properly operate. While being on antibiotics for 3 months does have it's perks (prevents bacterial infections, fights pimples, and preventents some sickness), a major disadvantage is that it opens up new territory for yeast infections. Blah, definitely not fun. So, if any ladies get marinum in the future eat yogurt every day and don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 04/08/2004, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Here's another thread that I found in another thread; summarizes this thread:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...ight=emergency

Mycoplasma infections are very difficult to treat, thus the long antibiotic courses. Treatment of tuberculosis (related to M. marinum) requires a minimum of 4 drugs for 2 months then 2 drugs for 4-6 more months. Drug resistant tb treatment requires additional drugs over a longer time - about 2 years!

On the antibiotic note, other common antibiottic pitfalls - just the ones caused by commonly used antibiotics: allergic reactions/rashes, antibiotic induced colitis (clostridium difficile; even can be caused by the antibiotics we use to treat it), kidney problems, drug interactions, and superinfections/resistant bacterial infections. Just a few reasons not to ask for an antibiotic for a runny nose and to make sure you need one when your Dr. prescribes one.

(PS: Aqua - I hit the wrong button! men can get yeast infections also)
Old 04/08/2004, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Shablin, are you serious? I never knew that.
Old 04/09/2004, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, jock itch is a yeast infection; thrush is another. Killing the bacteria just makes it easier for the yeast to grow. Thats why molds/yeasts produce antibiotics (pennicillin, etc). Put neosporin on a bandaid and wear it for a couple weeks, you'll eventually get a 'neosporin rash' = yeast infection. All these are more common in diabetics and immunocompromised persons, regardless of sex, but I do see them occur in the average joe.
Old 04/09/2004, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I just survived these day !

I was preparing fresh Saltwater in a 60 Liter bucket, to accelerate the disolving of the salt I'ver added a Pump and two heaters. I did these for many years these way... Just today I was in a hurry and the Salt wasen't disolving fast enough...
so I startet to help it a little bit with my Hands and Arms.
For years I was trrified about the heaters giving me a electric shock... well today I finaly happend !

Do you all know the pictures of Bart Simpson getting hit by lighting ? You can see hes Skelleton on the black silhuette of hes Body.
It is as closese as I can describe what I've seen. Blackness and some white flashes. I was not able to move my arms so I fell backwards in a cupboard... that saved me live !

The result is that I have three ripped of fingernails on one hand and sever bruses and scrathces and some burns on the arm ! And my back hurts as hell because of the cupboard an the convultions...

You woulnd't believe that I have a ELCB installed for protection, but I do !
It dind't go of ! Why ? Probably because there was no leakige of current to earth since I was wearing my rubber beach sandales. The electricity just tryed to fry me... it mus be the same as with the Hairdryer in the movies...

I used to work a an electrician for some years, while doing these job I got hit by electricrty several times... but never ever like these... these was worse than anything I've ever went trough ! The light disapearing in front of my eyes, the pain in the Arms and chest and the panik...

So never try something as stupid as I did ! Unplug everything before you work like these in water...

Marc
Old 04/10/2004, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

I stuck my arm in my 60 gallon a couple years ago and got a really good jolt. Picture putting a 9 volt battery on your tongue x20. The next day i was a little sore. I replaced all of my powerheads and heater, and it resolved the problem.
Old 04/10/2004, 06:19 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Shablin
Mycoplasma infections are very difficult to treat, thus the long antibiotic courses. Treatment of tuberculosis (related to M. marinum) requires a minimum of 4 drugs for 2 months then 2 drugs for 4-6 more months. Drug resistant tb treatment requires additional drugs over a longer time - about 2 years!
I think you mean Mycobacterium, not Mycoplasma.

Dave
Old 04/10/2004, 06:26 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by shannonbarry
What is this about a man who killed a dog with palytoxin?
It would be more fair to say that his dog died from palytoxin, as it wasn't malicious.

Here's the thread; I still get teary reading that first post:http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...=dog+AND+death

Dave
Old 04/10/2004, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Sorry; mycoplasma are EASY to treat. Got it right before, but at 1 AM, plasma, bacterium, tomato, tomatoe............
Old 04/25/2004, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

interesting article about fishermen and Mycobacterium marinum

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winst...115112929.html