Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/15/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lvpd186
I agree, as long as you are going to build it you might as well make it to last. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this one.
now that i have the pump and tubing i can finalize the plans. then its time to cnc some acrylic sheet
Old 09/16/2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

here is an updated design. Im working on the pump plumping. It seems the venturi that came with the pump is longer than the one use on the orca skimmers. Anyways, im trying to decide if it is worth adding a gate valve to the design?

landy
Old 09/16/2007, 08:10 AM
Moved On

why do you want a gate valve in the intake side of the pump?
Old 09/16/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

so he can controll the amount of water going into the skimmer. the orca skimmers use a small venturi that is right at the pump inlet, and not the ones supplied with the nw pump. the volcano skimmers have a gate valve there, so id put one there too.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

i dont see any unions to make dissasembly possible.
Old 09/16/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

are there any advatages to using the supplied venturi? this thing is like 3.5" long.

as for the unions, i need to put them in, but if i do the pump will be even further away from the skimmer. I will have to have at least one on the intake side, but i might be able to get away without one on the output as it will have a uniseal for a bulkhead.

landy
Old 09/25/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Old 09/25/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

laser CNC's wupA$$...

that is a few of my test cutsheet.

I should have the three peices back tongiht for my side project a kalk reactor. i will throw some pictures up tommorow.

landy
Old 09/25/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Thats pretty sweet! My brother owns a machine shop but all of his CNC machines are the typical spindle (if thats the correct word to use) type. I imagine that the laser would have a cleaner edge (you can see the shine in the photos) plus you probably don't have to mess with the lubricant stuff.
(Click my Red House)
Old 09/26/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lvpd186
Thats pretty sweet! My brother owns a machine shop but all of his CNC machines are the typical spindle (if thats the correct word to use) type. I imagine that the laser would have a cleaner edge (you can see the shine in the photos) plus you probably don't have to mess with the lubricant stuff.
shinny pretty much says it and very clean as well; just blow them off, and they're ready for weldon.

Only got one piece cut for the kalk reactor tonight, it took 45 minutes to grove it for the tubing. turned out perfect.
landy
Old 09/26/2007, 04:51 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Did you groove it with the laser?
Nice parts! The DIY aspect of this hobby sure has been taken to another level with all you CNC guys around here! I'd LOVE to play with one of those toys...

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/26/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
Did you groove it with the laser?
Nice parts! The DIY aspect of this hobby sure has been taken to another level with all you CNC guys around here! I'd LOVE to play with one of those toys...
Yes it was grooved with the laser, that’s why it took so long. And i don’t get to play with it , i only get to draw the cut sheets. My girlfriend is the one with the sweet job that has a laser cnc, actually they have two.

landy
Old 09/26/2007, 06:42 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I wonder if gluing the lasered edges causes crazing? I know if you you try to glue a flame polished edge it'll darn near explode. I'm sure the lazer is pretty quick in its cut, but it crossed my mind...
A good question for James too I guess.
Sweet project Landy.

Old 09/26/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
I wonder if gluing the lasered edges causes crazing? I know if you you try to glue a flame polished edge it'll darn near explode. I'm sure the lazer is pretty quick in its cut, but it crossed my mind...
A good question for James too I guess.
Sweet project Landy.

Not sure, i glued the bottom on the kalk reactor last night, and it was pretty uneventful. What would cause it to “craze”. The fact that it has been heated? That doesn’t make any sense because about any way you cut it will create heat?
Old 09/26/2007, 07:33 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I know that laser edges arent always as 'square' as needed, and that the heat can seal the capilaries in the plastic, making it more resistant to bonding across an uneven surface. www.firstclassaquatics.com uses a laser cutter as well, and from some custom parts he has done for me, he gave me that warning as well, suggesting that I go back and sand the bonding edges to be safe. The heat from a router is alot less than a laser... a router/saw is using a mechanical edge to remove material. A laser is using heat... to burn the material away... big difference in heat. I wouldnt worry too much... just sand the bond surfaces and/or follow up all the capillary bonds with fillets of weldon16 as reinforcement.
Old 09/26/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
I know that laser edges arent always as 'square' as needed, and that the heat can seal the capilaries in the plastic, making it more resistant to bonding across an uneven surface. www.firstclassaquatics.com uses a laser cutter as well, and from some custom parts he has done for me, he gave me that warning as well, suggesting that I go back and sand the bonding edges to be safe. The heat from a router is alot less than a laser... a router/saw is using a mechanical edge to remove material. A laser is using heat... to burn the material away... big difference in heat. I wouldnt worry too much... just sand the bond surfaces and/or follow up all the capillary bonds with fillets of weldon16 as reinforcement.
what grit paper would you recommend?

landy
Old 09/26/2007, 11:17 PM
El Jefe de WRS

100-200 should be plenty fine.
Old 10/04/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

here is a little update...

my kalk reactor is working great. i am fine tuning my cutsheets for the skimmer, more to come.

landy
Old 10/04/2007, 09:19 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Now thats just cool!

Old 10/04/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Very nice!
(Click my Red House)
Old 10/04/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

thanks!!!
Old 10/05/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

for the record....i have a 30" by 10" skimmer and use 1/8" wall cast acrylic. there are no problems with strength...to be honest i think someone could technically go with smaller. b/c it's round the pressure forces work against each other almost cancelling each other out. therefore a smaller wall for tubing can withstand MUCH more pressure. unless your going to hit it with a bat while it's filled with water then i would use 1/8" wall tubing all around. it may even withstand a bat...the strength properties of a cylindar are much different that of flat surfaces...
Old 10/05/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hemi18
for the record....i have a 30" by 10" skimmer and use 1/8" wall cast acrylic. there are no problems with strength...to be honest i think someone could technically go with smaller. b/c it's round the pressure forces work against each other almost cancelling each other out. therefore a smaller wall for tubing can withstand MUCH more pressure. unless your going to hit it with a bat while it's filled with water then i would use 1/8" wall tubing all around. it may even withstand a bat...the strength properties of a cylindar are much different that of flat surfaces...
well if you can hit yours with a bat, i should be able to take a few shoots @ mine with a pistol...

i think 1/8" would have been fine, but i KNOW 1/4" will

thanks for your input

landy
Old 10/05/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Got a number for the o-ring material?
Thanks
Man you must have one nice girlfriend (Can't she get in trouble for doing this at work or is this considered homework)
Old 10/05/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radone
Got a number for the o-ring material?
Thanks
Man you must have one nice girlfriend (Can't she get in trouble for doing this at work or is this considered homework)
96505K23

Yes I do

landy