Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2004, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd March
Hey Guys, what CO2 regulator are you using...? I will be setting up my Jetstream 1 next week, and need to buy a regulator...?
try http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...es/103778.html
Old 11/14/2004, 04:37 PM
lift it up tallways

I had an aquamedic regulator, but the needlevalve was sketchy at best. I purchased a dwyer flowmeter for controlling the co2, but it is no longer in use. I now have a JBJ regulator ith a built-in solenoid that I love. It's been working like a champ for about 10 months.

I really like having a solenoid.

E.
Old 11/15/2004, 01:37 AM
Premium Member

On the 2 day my PH is 6.5 and my DKH is 50!

The system is quiet and does an excellent work to reuse CO2!
Old 11/16/2004, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

This system ROCKS!! I had a Korallin 3002 and it does not perform as well as this unit! Ph is 6.3 - 6.6 and DKH is 50!

Also, My water CA is 450 and my DKH is 10.5! Now I need to make it consistent!
Old 11/17/2004, 03:03 AM
Reef Tank Junkie

HEY! How did you guys fill the bubble counter? Did you use a syringe with needle like the manual mentions...?

liusteven, thanks for the heads on up on the Reef Fantatic regulator. I did buy it from Greg at Reef Geek... He's only about a couple of miles from my house, and I can pick up from him... His service is incredible...! The Reef Fantatic regulator is expensive, but very nice (chrome, German solenoid)...
Old 11/17/2004, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
HEY! How did you guys fill the bubble counter? Did you use a syringe with needle like the manual mentions...?

liusteven, thanks for the heads on up on the Reef Fantatic regulator. I did buy it from Greg at Reef Geek... He's only about a couple of miles from my house, and I can pick up from him... His service is incredible...! The Reef Fantatic regulator is expensive, but very nice (chrome, German solenoid)...
Todd,

To fill the bubble counter the syringe will take forever... you can do 2 things take a small pump open the main valve (the middle big blue) handle and fill it water BUT close the outlet water.

OR the most easiest way is to take the return outlet (top middle tube) and insert it into the inlet of the bubble counter (where you insert CO2) and fill it.... (I did it this way and it was ok)

Todd, you might want to mention to Greg that I referred you (he knows me very well

HTH
Old 11/17/2004, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

How much CO2 do you use per month

I am considering getting some kind of reactor and am curious as to how much CO2 is required.

What size bottle do you use and how long does it last? Approximately, how much does the CO2 cost per month to run the reactor?
Old 11/17/2004, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I filled the bubble counter on my jetstream by siphoning RO/DI water into it. I just held a glass of water above the reactor and started a siphon with some airline tubing and connected it to the bubble counter. It filled in about 5 seconds.
Old 11/17/2004, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Re: How much CO2 do you use per month

Quote:
Originally posted by johnfr
I am considering getting some kind of reactor and am curious as to how much CO2 is required.

What size bottle do you use and how long does it last? Approximately, how much does the CO2 cost per month to run the reactor?
John, the last time it took me was about 1.3 years to refill a 5 lb CO2 bottle.. I am not sure how long it will last with the Schiran reactor..
Old 11/18/2004, 12:08 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

LOL, I just opened the package and for cushion, they used wadded up German newspaper. It seemed to work fine, although there are newsprint fingerprints all over my brand new reactor.

I love how the main cylinder comes right out, but I wish the screws/wing nuts were a little higher quality.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 11/18/2004, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
LOL, I just opened the package and for cushion, they used wadded up German newspaper. It seemed to work fine, although there are newsprint fingerprints all over my brand new reactor.

I love how the main cylinder comes right out, but I wish the screws/wing nuts were a little higher quality.
Fliger,
Just a word of caution.. do not tighten the nuts or the sides will crack!
Old 11/18/2004, 12:58 AM
Reef Tank Junkie

The newspaper cracked me up too, Fliger, I looked through it—was too fun to pass up, even though I don't speak or read German...

I am annoyed that unit is larger than stated on all sites that sell it—the claims are that it's 13" long, BUT it's actually 13 6/8" long—almost 14"... My space allotted for it was 13 1/4", so I was really PO'd until I figured out to mount it kitty corner, at an angle, in the corner of my stand. It looks a little odd, and comes WAY too close to my return pump and tubing, but it works. I will also never be able to remove the reactor tube by itself due to the tight fit, but the whole unit comes out easily enough and I only had to mount it with one screw...

Still soaking the media in RO/DI water and waiting for delivery of a check valve, and then I'm in business...

In the end, I'm a happy camper, funky fit or not...

Old 11/18/2004, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
The newspaper cracked me up too, Fliger, I looked through it—was too fun to pass up, even though I don't speak or read German...

I am annoyed that unit is larger than stated on all sites that sell it—the claims are that it's 13" long, BUT it's actually 13 6/8" long—almost 14"... My space allotted for it was 13 1/4", so I was really PO'd until I figured out to mount it kitty corner, at an angle, in the corner of my stand. It looks a little odd, and comes WAY too close to my return pump and tubing, but it works. I will also never be able to remove the reactor tube by itself due to the tight fit, but the whole unit comes out easily enough and I only had to mount it with one screw...

Still soaking the media in RO/DI water and waiting for delivery of a check valve, and then I'm in business...

In the end, I'm a happy camper, funky fit or not...

Todd, at least you can count the bubbles

Old 11/18/2004, 01:19 AM
Reef Tank Junkie

Quote:
Todd, at least you can count the bubbles

True enough, liusteven...! I spent 10 minutes tonight filling it up with the syringe tip from my (unused) Salifert test kit... I couldn't figure out what you meant about removing the center outlet, unless you meant filling it with saltwater...?

Another thing to note—this big media DOES NOT come from Schuran. I talked to them directly not too long ago, and they assured me that they do not market any coral sand media at all. I guess the Schuran importer (Edward at Aquaristics?) is importing the media as well, seperatly from the Schuran line...

I guess it's a translation issue, but I still can't figure out why Schuran or the Germans refer to this huge media of chunky coral as, "Coral Sand"...? It's anything but sand...!
Old 11/18/2004, 05:12 PM
lift it up tallways

^^^no kidding.
Quote:
it's actually 13 6/8" long
As a draftsman, I had to read this a couple of times...

Bummer on the fit. Mine didn't fit in my stand either. It's been banished to the wall.

I, too looked at the newspaper. I used to work for a German company based out of Canada, and all the shipment we received had candy in the packing material. Electronics, steel, fittings, precision bearings, all had individually wrapped candy mixed in with the packing material. I was told it was a custom. I thought it was just a company thing until I ordered an intermarin reactor straight outta Deutschland 3 years ago, and it came with candy in the packing material. I was excited to get some candy with my schuran (to appease my wife a little bit in lieu of the 'emergency reactor upgrade') but all I got was wapped german newspaper.

Still interesting though.... But I was just as thrilled with the day-old San Diego newspaper from my order with clams direct.

E.
Old 11/18/2004, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Todd,

Yes I filled it with Saltwater... I do not think that is a problem?
Old 11/19/2004, 03:05 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

Just curious... what does soaking the media in RO/DI do?
Old 11/19/2004, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

Supposedly removes phosphates from the media if it's made from dead coral (I think...)

HTH,

Tom
Old 11/19/2004, 04:49 AM
Reef Tank Junkie

Yeah, RO/DI water is very pure and very corrosive and will help to leach out any phosphates if they are present.All hobbyists that have tested the huge media sold to us for the Schuran units say that the media is phosphate free, but I think it's a good idea to give ANY Ca reactor media a good soak in RO/DI water...
Quote:
Yes I filled it with Saltwater... I do not think that is a problem?
I thought you were suppose to use purified water for the bubble counter...? I have also heard you can use glycerin from the drug store (or Marine Depot sells German imported glycerin), as it's more viscous and makes for easier bubble counting as the bubbles rise much slower...?

Last edited by Todd March; 11/19/2004 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11/19/2004, 04:54 AM
Reef Tank Junkie

What purpose does the little valve (on the bottom left) on the opposite end of the inlet valve, have...?

Does anyone know, I can't figure it out from the typically oddly translated instructions...?
Old 11/19/2004, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
[B]Yeah, RO/DI water is very pure and very corrosive and will help to leach out any phosphates if they are present.All hobbyists that have tested the huge media sold to us for the Schuran units say that the media is phosphate free, but I think it's a good idea to give ANY Ca reactor media a good soak in RO/DI water
How long should you let it soak? Also how much water per lb. of media should you use? I have a box full of sps skeletons from a crash I had and was planning to use them for reactor media in the future but it sounds like it would be beneficial to give them a good soak first.
Old 11/19/2004, 12:17 PM
Reefer

Quote:
What purpose does the little valve (on the bottom left) on the opposite end of the inlet valve, have...?

Does anyone know, I can't figure it out from the typically oddly translated instructions...?
Todd, the valve on the bottom left is used to drain water from the reactor. It'll come on handy when refilling the media chamber.
Old 11/19/2004, 12:24 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
How long should you let it soak? Also how much water per lb. of media should you use? I have a box full of sps skeletons from a crash I had and was planning to use them for reactor media in the future but it sounds like it would be beneficial to give them a good soak first.
I've pondered the same question. To wasch thier coral sand I think overnight soaking with a few stirrings is good enough but with dead coral pieces from our tank I think a little more effort may be wise. I wonder what becomes of the soft tissues inside the dead coral.

At any rate, I think R/O is good enough for this rinsing, no sense in using up DI resin for this.
Old 11/19/2004, 12:35 PM
Reefer

Is anyone else having a problem with too much gas collecting in the top of the reactor? I don't think I'm drawing in ambient air cuz if I turn the co2 off overnight the gas does not collect.

I'll have to play with this thing this weekend. For now I think I'll try increasing the effluent rate.
Old 11/19/2004, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3_high_low
Is anyone else having a problem with too much gas collecting in the top of the reactor? I don't think I'm drawing in ambient air cuz if I turn the co2 off overnight the gas does not collect.

I'll have to play with this thing this weekend. For now I think I'll try increasing the effluent rate.
I was having the same problem the first 2 days and my PH was at 6.2 so I decreased the CO2 to about 75 - 80 bubbles per minute and it decreased a lot of gas collecting on the top of the reactor and my PH went to 6.5.

I shut off the CO2 at night and in the morning I do not see any buubles in the reactor before my reactor starts