Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2007, 12:09 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

http://donwiss.com/pictures/ManhattanStores/

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 01/11/2007, 09:12 PM
Moved On

well i decided after soo much research to get the d80 body only and the 18-200 vr lens only to find out that the vr lens is in high demand
SO for the time being i am going to get the d200 with 18-70 lens and possibly the nikkor 24-120 vr lens for wallkaround use, and the nikkor 105 vr later
i found out that circuit city has the d200 kit for only 1600
so right now thats my stance
ill probably get the 105 first and then the 18-200 when its more readily available
thanks everyone for your help
Old 01/11/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

I don't know how true, but I heard the D200 is a completely manual camera with no auto or programmed modes. So you may want to verify it before buying if you are new into camera's like me.
Old 01/12/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssbreef
Are you for real??
These are the only big differences between the two. All others are Insignificant.

Canon EOS 30D
Better image parameter control
Rear dial is easier to use in the field than a multi-selector
Canon CMOS sensor delivers better high ISO performance

In favor of the Nikon D200
2 megapixel advantage (368 horiz., 256 vert. pixels more)
Built-in AF assist lamp
Totally going OT from the OP, so excuse me for this digression. Those are just differences that you see on paper. Have you use either of those in the field? I'm talking about real world differences vs. what's on paper.

For instance, take a look through the VF on both of those cameras for one. Then take note of how the buttons are laid out on both cameras (Nikon embeds very few key options in their menus, Canon does; unless you're looking at the 1D series, which requries multiple buttons, but it works once you get used to it). Other differences: weathersealing vs. none, intervalometer vs. none, autofocus modes and acquisition speed, programmable commander mode vs. none.

If those aren't key enough, then I don't know what is.
Old 01/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuze
I don't know how true, but I heard the D200 is a completely manual camera with no auto or programmed modes. So you may want to verify it before buying if you are new into camera's like me.
The D200 comes with four different shooting modes: programmable, shutter priority, aperture priority, and manual.
Old 01/12/2007, 10:32 PM
Moved On

Get the Nikon. They make the best lenses and those are what make the picture either good or bad. After you get the Nikon D80 look at thier desent Nikkor lenses or if you want top quality look at there better VR lenses.
Old 01/13/2007, 12:22 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by sharrison1
Get the Nikon. They make the best lenses.

Not if you ask a Canon user.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 01/15/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Hi. I'm a new owner of the D-80, but Im not qualified to tell you how great it is because, like you, I'm a novice in the photography hobby. Also, like you, I wanted to change that. If you're like me, many of the posts won't be very helpful. I don't know enough to debate the ISO noise reduction issues. I haven't handled enough cameras to know which camera feels right. My guess is the first camera I handle significantly will become one that will "train" my hands to work with it.

I believe, like many have said, you can't go wrong with either camera as a novice. If we apply ourselves we will become better photographers as our skills develop - but our path to understanding our camera's, their settings and how to optimize what they offer is long, and will take time to travel.

I'd say make your choice (I'm sure you already have). Develop your skills, practice with your new camera and be patient - there's so much to learn! Together, in 3 or 5 years the DSLR world will be completely different and, if we are diligent in our studies and practice, we'll be much, much better able to make a decision on our future DSLR purchases.

Good luck!
Old 01/16/2007, 09:02 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Well Fate, instead of continuing the great debate that will forever rage on in the photography world please allow me to offer my congrats on finally settling on a system and making the purchase. Now get out there, get shooting, and bring us baack some pics! We're eager to see what you can do!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green