Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/01/2005, 07:10 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by fishylongstocking
javajaws,

Why 8000, why not 16k or 3k?!?!
Your right! I should just make my own little ocean...and put my house on an island in the middle! Since the current can go in a circle I should be able to continually increase the speed and make even more money. I bet if I can get it going fast enough maybe I can tear a hole in space/time and go get me a skimmer from the future! Maybe some frags too! Maybe I even frag my frags in the future to send myself some frags back in time to make frags....ooohhh...that hurts just thinkin about it.
Old 04/01/2005, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

I live in Massachusetts. Here in the northeast we no longer believe in global warming.
Old 04/01/2005, 07:35 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben CC
I live in Massachusetts. Here in the northeast we no longer believe in global warming.
Old 04/01/2005, 07:51 PM
Reef nerd

here in the northwest we have the option of purchasing totally renewable energy from the power company. Now i have no guilt about any of my appliances, i just pay 8 bucks more a month for power.
Old 04/01/2005, 07:59 PM
TRC Leader

Thank you for your cooperation. Lots of good ideas in this thread.

I am a bit leary about flatulence to create bubbles in a reef. I'm not sure what methane gas is made up of, but I'm going to assume that it must be bad for some corals and fish.
Old 04/01/2005, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

well i dont know if this counts, but the other day i shocked the bejeezus out of myself when gabbing a power cord with wet hands. that was followed by an airborn pump which is never to return to any type of tank containing any sort of liquid...!!!!!!!! DANG PUMP!@#$%$%
Old 04/01/2005, 08:03 PM
uhhhh....???

this is a wierd thread.

-Duu it!
Old 04/01/2005, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

oh, about methane. did you know that in the seas of the bermuda triangle, there are pockets of methane gasses constantly being released underneath the waters surface. when that gas rises, and an airplane fly through it, it changes thier altimeter reading to a much higher altitude reading, (the methane gas is ush lighter than the atmospheric pressure exurted by oxygen) there by confusing the pilot into beliving that he\she is much higher than they actually are, which leads them to fly the plane lower, and lower, untill they crash into the sea....pretty neat huh?
Old 04/01/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

yep.

Protein skimmer gone. Powerheads gone. From now on I'm dunking my head in my tank every three minutes resulting in a very realistic tidal effect. W2K is now obsolete.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 04/01/2005, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev

I am a bit leary about flatulence to create bubbles in a reef. I'm not sure what methane gas is made up of, but I'm going to assume that it must be bad for some corals and fish.
Don't fish fart?
Old 04/01/2005, 09:33 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by FunkieReefJunkie
yep.

Protein skimmer gone. Powerheads gone. From now on I'm dunking my head in my tank every three minutes resulting in a very realistic tidal effect. W2K is now obsolete.
Old 04/01/2005, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Just to teach the power companies a lesson, I have decided on Saturdays events. I will totally shut down my tank. Yep, everything off. I will however have 2 garden hoses cut into around 6 foot lengths. I will have my 2 kids blowing into the hoses to give a little transfer to the tank. My lovely wife has volunteered to skim the top of the water with a cup while stirring the water. due to my job and batteries are very expensive, I have several rechargable lights. Since they were very expensive and very bright, I think the par rating should be enough for my clam and sps. My kids can take turns with the lights. I will even shut down my chiller so as I can use those bottles full of ice in case of the dreaded power outage. I think I will even talk to my neighbors to come over and give breaks to the family. Let's show the greedy power companies.
Old 04/01/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

yes, fish do fart. I saw bubbles come out of my clown trig's anus one day!

no joke!
Old 04/01/2005, 10:07 PM
Tusken Reefer

I wish I could help but I'm actually making things worse. Last week my icecap ballast for my VHO's fried on me. So I have gone from using 4 hrs of MH to 12 hrs of MH. So with the increase in power consumption I'm having, turning off my Backpack isn't gonna help.
Old 04/01/2005, 10:26 PM
taaa daaa

Do the lounge lizards(and monkeys) know about all the hilarity going on over here, I mean this is the reef discussion forum isn't everybody supposed to be serious?
Old 04/01/2005, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

What does this accomplish? Nothing! If you don't like the high electric bill then I would not suggest running all the halides and pumps and what not. Stuff is not free and if people are going to complain about gas, then take a look at europe. We don't have it half as bad as they do! What do they pay a gallon $8-$10? When I was in amsterdam last fall I noticed a station that was at 3.24. Now the 3.24 is a liter do the math! We live in the greatest country in the world so stop complaining. You get what you pay for. Open up the drilling in alaska and tell the middle east that we don't need your oil.
Old 04/01/2005, 10:46 PM
Montigyra kenti

This thread couldn't have been started on March 31st or April 2nd, it had to be today...
Old 04/01/2005, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Redwinger02 do you want to borrow one of my hamsters to run a wheel to generate power for your tank?
Old 04/01/2005, 11:04 PM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
At first I turned off the skimmer but then I said to myself, "Self, you need that skimmer."

So I got my 5 year old son's bike and hooked it up to a generator and had him peddle that for a couple of hours, but he kept asking for food.

Then I was reading and saw a Bomber post and the idea came!

I quickly put in a DSB so thick that it actually created a wormhole to a sister galaxy, I then started collecting power from a power plant there. Problem solved!

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 04/01/2005, 11:37 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by drock59
here in the northwest we have the option of purchasing totally renewable energy from the power company. Now i have no guilt about any of my appliances, i just pay 8 bucks more a month for power.
But think about all those Spotted Owls and other feathered friends that are getting diced up in YOUR wind turbine. Now don't you feel like a heel?
Old 04/01/2005, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

I don't know about the rest of you but I like my electrity just fine. The electric company should do the same for you and turn off your power for 24 hours. Bet you would love that. I absolutely adore the positives elecitrity and other energy for that matter bring to my life. No I don't work for a Power or Oil Company. I work for a steel company thoough and you should see the drain when you fire up some ARC furnaces to melt down some scrap. Now that is what pays the electric companies bills. So for me Skimmer stay on, pumps stay on, beer stays cold and thats the way I like it. Oh yea, and suprise someone makes a profit to make it happen. Gotta love it.
Old 04/02/2005, 12:22 AM
Your talking to me?

Well due to this commotion a big tragedy just happen I disconnected the skimmer and also told my self, Self what a excellent idea, why not turn everything off! So I got to the electrical panel and shut the main breaker off, a few moments later a heard my clown ( we call him Nemo I saw that once in a movie and thought it was a cool name) yelling “hey jerk we are dying over here� so as a stubborn man, I insisted in not turning on the electricity so I open up the garage to tun on my mega hurr hurr generator as I’m walking in the dark, I bump in to the gas can, spilling it on to the floor, in to the driveway, ending up in the storm drain but I looked and the ground sucked it all up, so I thought let me take some gas out of my SUV! hamm gona need a hose for that, so I just grabbed a hose from one of the pumps form the fish tank, I take about one gal of gas and put it in the generator and crank it on and vuala Nemo has power again, then I here water running my self sais to me “Self you idiot you forgot to put the hose bake� with out a heart beat I grab it and put it back in place. I then tun my mind on to what the guy that sold me the generator said ( this beast is a gas guzzler) so of to the gas station I go, on my why to the gas station I had to stop several times and knock on peoples doors if they can spare a few gallons of gas so I can make it to the gas station, yeah this thing does like 5 miles to the gallon said the dealer, but I wasn’t worried because I read in this thread that they were going to drill for oil in Alaska so what the heel it’s ok if I use little extra, anyhow I get home to my surprise the family is all laying on the floor intoxicated from the fumes from the generator, my fish and corals are all dead because I forgot to wash the hose that I used to take the gas out.
All this because of that Melev and his bight idea of turning off the skimmer.
DAMN YOU
Old 04/02/2005, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redwinger02
What does this accomplish? Nothing! If you don't like the high electric bill then I would not suggest running all the halides and pumps and what not. Stuff is not free and if people are going to complain about gas, then take a look at europe. We don't have it half as bad as they do! What do they pay a gallon $8-$10? When I was in amsterdam last fall I noticed a station that was at 3.24. Now the 3.24 is a liter do the math! We live in the greatest country in the world so stop complaining. You get what you pay for. Open up the drilling in alaska and tell the middle east that we don't need your oil.
Amen redwinger. Usually, the people blasting the greedy oil companies are the same ones driving the Ford Expeditions and other gigantic trucks and SUV's. (I don't work for an oil company). That's what's gotten us to this point, aside from emerging economies in China and India. Everyone including the 5 foot tall mommy has to drive the biggest and baddest vehicle they can lay their hands on. I have no problem with what people choose to drive, just don't start blaming oil companies for high gas prices. It's supply and demand people. They can't extract and refine the oil fast enough to keep up with world demand. Even OPEC is starting to realize this. If you don't like the poor gas mileage your Hummer's getting driving the kids to school, time to buy a Honda.
Old 04/02/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

u r a fool

APRIL FOOLS!
Old 04/02/2005, 12:48 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by redwinger02
Thanks for such an enlighting statement. I'm glad there are brilliant people like yourself to teach us lesser being(s) the inner workings of the world.

I'm drunk and hate math. I love reefcental.com !!