Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2004, 09:13 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Ummm www.vividaquariums.com has a couple. Glad you made it to RC. I cannot help you out on your lion/angler ordeal...sorry. I would think ti would be okay as long as the frog doesn't get bigger then the lion and lion doesn't get too big. Maybe something like 8 inch frog and 10-12 inch lion ratio. I don't have a clue so help me if I am wrong.
Old 10/18/2004, 09:40 PM
Moved On

Here are my froggies.. I've been trying to train them to eat krill. I've had sucess with a few.

Fat Tony.
Old 10/18/2004, 09:43 PM
Moved On

Mr.Black

Mr.Green (lives with Vinny now)

Mr Pink & Mr.Orange
Old 10/18/2004, 09:43 PM
Moved On

Haha......what a mug that ones got.

Nice Brahm !
Old 10/18/2004, 09:44 PM
Moved On

Yea he is a mean mofo.. One of my other anglers escaped there old cages this weekend.. and he ATE Him before I could catch him It was one of those cool looking ones that anythony has been getting. (hence the new cages)..

I almost picked up this HUGE...I mean,, Massive angler on saturday.. I might get it wensday this thing was massive, 6-8" of girth and over a foot long. But I would have to setup up tony in a cage if i got him.. and he would proboly try to eat my hand..hahaah.
Old 10/18/2004, 09:56 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by brahm
Yea he is a mean mofo.. One of my other anglers escaped there old cages this weekend.. and he ATE Him before I could catch him It was one of those cool looking ones that anythony has been getting. (hence the new cages)..

I almost picked up this HUGE...I mean,, Massive angler on saturday.. I might get it wensday this thing was massive, 6-8" of girth and over a foot long. But I would have to setup up tony in a cage if i got him.. and he would proboly try to eat my hand..hahaah.
Holy sheet ! These things are born killers. I love wathing the hunt it very cool. My wife was kind of against me feeding it live food (like I had a choice) but now I see here over at that tank all the time just watching. Take some more pics...and when you go shopping on wednesday take a pic of the angler if you dont buy it. I have to see that thing please. And while your there pick me up some yumas will you ?

Jimmy
Old 10/18/2004, 10:07 PM
Moved On

Yea I was kinda suprised. .I mean the other angler really wasn't much smaller then tony...A friend of mine witnessed the whole thing and left the room
Old 10/18/2004, 10:14 PM
Moved On

here is a pic of the recently Eaten.. and still in fat tony's belly... Guess it's only fitting to die by how it lived....Stealth and Ambush like a Underwater Ninja!

Old 10/18/2004, 10:21 PM
Moved On

He looks just like mine.....what a shame

He died like a samauri....taken by his own kind R.I.P
Old 10/19/2004, 05:34 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Mr.Black, Mr.Green, Mr Pink & Mr.Orange sounds a bit like res. dogs

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 10/19/2004, 09:29 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by lunker101
Hello Everyone! Im pretty new to RC, ive been browsing a bit but never was much of a poster. I am setting up a 50g (breeder) aggressive reef tank. I was hoping to include a frog and a dwarf-lionfish. I know a few people that have kept them together with success. All of your anglers look great. Other than aquadesignz.com and liveaquaria, what are some other good sources for frogs? Im on the east-coast, so my selection from LFSs isnt too great when it comes 2 frogs.
lunker

To Reef Central

I can't help you in finding a source for a frogfish, as I'm on the west coast, but I do have a bit of advice on the angler/lionfish compatibility. If you want that to work, do be sure to get one of the varieties of angler that stays small (A. maculatus or A. pictus) and make sure from the beginning that the lionfish is at least 2x the size of the angler when full-grown. Anglers grow comparatively fast (mine went from juvenile to adult size in less than a year) and have been known to attempt to eat other fish up to 2x their own size. Oftentimes the attempt is fatal for both fish.

Best of luck
Cheri
Old 10/19/2004, 01:50 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by majesticangelfish
Mr.Black, Mr.Green, Mr Pink & Mr.Orange sounds a bit like res. dogs
But of course.... Cause I got. .Froooogies to the left of me.. Anglers....to the right..
Old 10/22/2004, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

changing colors.

Old 10/22/2004, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

very nice color change. I'm glad your angler is doing well mattjk
Old 10/22/2004, 07:01 PM
Bored Reefer

MattJK, beautiful angler. About how big is he/she?
Old 10/22/2004, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Hey MattJK, what type of fish is in your avatar? Possibly a clown of some sort?
Old 11/02/2004, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

this is such an awesome thread! i was going to set up my little 9 gallon for either a mantis shrimp or a hellfire anemone, but those ideas are long gone now. angler all the way. i'm kinda a coral geek though, is there a list of angler approved corals that the frogfish files has come up with?
Old 11/02/2004, 11:09 PM
D00D

i got a new frog myself

Old 11/03/2004, 05:17 AM
VILP

Holy Moly! Dial-up beware! Great close-up picture Wee Man! How big is that beast? Congratulations!

frogman182 - Anglers can be kept with most corals, though not ones w/ a powerful sting such as Elegance corals or anemones that might damage the frogfish's skin if it comes in contact. It is their nature to perch on things for long periods of time (since they are ambush predators), so you might find that this might cause some corals (Sarcophytum for example) to keep their polyps retracted. If that happened, you could try gently pushing the fish off that perch each time you saw it there, and it might learn to avoid that spot.

With only a 9-gallon tank though, you'd want to be sure you got one of the species that stays small (A. maculatus), else plan on a larger tank in a relatively short period of time.

Cheri
Old 11/03/2004, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

actually, i reread this thread and have falen so much for these little guys, that i'm rearranging tank inhabitants, so it can have my 20h.
Old 11/03/2004, 04:48 PM
D00D

i didnt think it was that big when i posted it lol. sorry bout that.

hes only about 5 inchs, and he began eating frozen silversides the first day i got him so yay!!!!
Old 11/03/2004, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Good Luck with this one Wee Man. I know anglers have caused you much grief in the past.
Old 11/03/2004, 07:52 PM
D00D

thanks i will probably need it.

actually i have a very good feeling about this one

BTW any ideas as to an identification, i think it is anntenarius hispidus but a second opinion would be good
Old 11/03/2004, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I think you are right on with that ID. Hispids look like striatus but have the frilly shaped esca.
Old 11/03/2004, 08:10 PM
D00D

thats what i figured.

thx for your second opinion