Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2005, 03:34 AM
SPS Freak

A guy local gets them for 25 for me and they are a decent sized.
Old 11/12/2005, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey April, Jay, the picture April posted is a male squarespot. The females are much lighter (usually more orange) in color and don't have the square spot. It is definitely not recommended to keep more than one male, but several females with the male is a good idea to distribute aggression.

I have a trio of the very closely related Bimaculatus Anthias in my 180g.

Just some info to help you guys (and gals) out.

James
Old 11/12/2005, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanks reelheel, This one is all I want,don't need any aggression going on, the Tangs were aggressive enough, they arent anymore, but they were awful when I added a new one. However, no one was aggressive with the Anthias, he just swam around like he was always in there. I was happy!!!
Old 11/12/2005, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

New Addition

Just added yesterday. This is the best pic I can get since this guy is still shy and prefers to stay in the dark. Still a juv. at about 4." Some say not reef compatible, but I don't keep many crustaceans, so shouldn't be a problem. We'll see!
Old 11/12/2005, 03:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by April540
I bought me a Feather Star, do any of you know anything about them?
VERY difficult to keep alive in captivity. They are beautiful and very ancient echinoderms (crinoids, stars, urchins, cucumbers, medusa worms, etc.). This may help:

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen13.html
Old 11/13/2005, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

cediss, he is a beauty, he stands out alot. It's so fun to get new stock. What is the green plant he is in front of? keep the pics comming.

drjrose, In usually read up on things before I buy them, I wish I would have read on this before I bought it. So far it seems to be doing great, but I have read up on it since and it looks like I'm just sheltering it till death takes him. I feel awful now. I'll do all I can to keep him healthy. I should have waited for my buddy at the LFS,he never stears me wrong, and of course was not working that night. I think from now on I'll just have them hold things, then come home to research first, a mear phone call to take them off hold will save me alot of sorrow. And save another little creature.
here he is today

Last edited by April540; 11/13/2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11/13/2005, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

jay24k, how many pounds of rock do you estimate that you have?

Also, anyone with a 180 can you take a few measurements for me? I need to know how tall the trim is on the bottom and top so I can build my stand to cover that plastic.
Another measurement I need is how far from the back corner of the tank to the edge of the overflow then when that overflow ends.

I need those two measurements for an AGA tank.

Thanks!

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 11/13/2005, 10:33 PM
SPS Freak

I'll measure mine. Mine are the older corner style overflows, not the megaflows though. I'll post it in a few.

I have about 220 pounds of rock however, 160 pounds of it is base rock and TBS rock both of which were not very porous. I added 60 pounds of Figi that was probably equivalent to the 100 pounds of base rock in size if not more.

I don't care for a rock loaded tank and because I have big fish, I wanted an open look up top.

I helped a friend setup his 180 aga megaflow so if you got any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 11/13/2005, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

I am planning on getting the megaflow tank when I finish the stand and canopy (and save)

You have that much rock? Your tank looks like it hardly has any. I've got 130 or so pounds right now and wasn't planning on adding any more than that. Maybe I should rethink that.

Old 11/14/2005, 12:12 AM
SPS Freak

I don't have any rock on the glass either and I don't think you realize how much dense rock weights compared to Fiji. If I did it again, I'd go Fiji with a reef tank.

Stick with 130 and add as you need it. I also plan to have HUGE SPS and I like my open center. It doesn't look like much but imagine having 24" of width for rock. It really disappears quick once you aquascape.
Old 11/14/2005, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

ahh, I didn't realize you had extremely dense rock. Mine should be all fiji (at least I think so).

I plan to keep an open center and top as well so that corals can grown upward. I'm also thinking about a 210 to achieve that even more so.

Thanks for your time!

Now, if anyone can get the measurements of a megaflow tank, that would be awesome. Again, the plastic trim height (so I can cover it with trim) and the distance from corner of tank to start of overflow to end of over flow.

Thanks!

Old 11/14/2005, 12:19 PM
Just another crazy

Just thinkin out loud here but can't you find someone that sells AGA tanks on the web and ask them? I got my tank from glass cages and they told me what size I would need to build the stand. But mine is made from steel tube and behind a wall so it didn't need to be to exact.

Mike
Old 11/14/2005, 01:03 PM
Student life sucks

a bit late sorry but just finished setting it up

Old 11/14/2005, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mako56
Just thinkin out loud here but can't you find someone that sells AGA tanks on the web and ask them? I got my tank from glass cages and they told me what size I would need to build the stand. But mine is made from steel tube and behind a wall so it didn't need to be to exact.
Oh, I'm sure there is. I figured someone here could take that quick measurement for me and I wouldn't have to go looking.

Old 11/14/2005, 04:34 PM
SPS Freak

Trim is 2" high on both bottom and top of the tank. Now go building lackey!!!
Old 11/14/2005, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Hey now, you haven't seen any images?

The plan:

The (lack of) progress:

Old 11/14/2005, 04:49 PM
SPS Freak

Looking good. If I can offer one piece of advice: Get the biggest sump you can stuff in there . You won't regret it. Looking good though. I did 4 doors though and I have my doors close exactly so you can't see the gap in the middle.
Old 11/14/2005, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

My wife wants 2 doors, I couldn't decide on my own.

Here's the sump system:

The 15 high on the left will be gravity drained to the 75. The 15 will be a fuge, the 75 will be broken in to three parts:

On the left is the prop tank. A 175 halide will provide light for the fuge and prop. In the middle will be the return and on the right the skimmer.

The fuge will be fed by the return pump, which will go through the pvc to the prop then to the return.

Old 11/14/2005, 05:09 PM
SPS Freak

Looks cool. Make sure you return is slow otherwise you will have microbubble central. That's one thing I learned. I had 1100 gph running through my 40 sump and it was insane on microbubbles. Till I toned it down to about 800 gph did it pretty much go away to some degree.
Old 11/14/2005, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Right now I have a panworld 50px-x running in my 90. I was going to use that to see how it worked out. If I don't think it is enough I was going to use a dart and tone it WAY down. The dart will actually conserve energy if you tone it down so that is a win/win.

Old 11/14/2005, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Hey thrlride, if you still need those other measurements, let me know...I've got the 180 AGA new style and I can get 'em for you.
Stand and sump look good BTW.

James
Old 11/14/2005, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanks reelheel, that would be great! I'm hearing the bottom and top plastic are 2" and then the measurement from the back corner to the edge of the overflow is 8 3/4", then 10 1/4" to the end of the overflow. If you could cross verify all of those figures that would be great!

One more measurement I could use is from the back to the bulkhead. That one should only be a few inches.

That should be all I need.
I called AGA today and they never called me back....

Old 11/14/2005, 09:32 PM
Aptasia tastes spicey!

thrill ride. those baffles look really high.... on the right hand side of that sump?

if for some reason your water flow is blocked in the baffles, or it slows down and can't flow across fast enough... you might empty out quite a bit of water..
Old 11/14/2005, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Do you mean if it has a blockage it won't overflow the two higher baffles?

What is the chance of a blockage over 18" of tank width with 1.5" baffles?

Old 11/16/2005, 07:59 PM
Premium Member

jjackson, tank looks awsome! welcome to the thread. never too late and you can never post too many pics!!! Love to see all the new tans, new ideas and new stock!