Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Can't wait to see the school of purples and yellows! That is my dream, I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm glad you're running with it. Patience will definitly be worth it.
Old 08/27/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Any new pics?

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/27/2007, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
Any new pics?
Hi all!

No new pics, but not much has changed except I've left the tank dark for an extended period to kill off a lot of the hair algae. The good news is that this morning LiveAquaria called me to tell me that they got in some purple tangs. I was under the impression, from speaking to them by email a few weeks ago, that they "have a hard time getting these fish in at this time of the year" and that I might "not expect to be able to acquire more than one or two at any specific time."

That was, until they called me and told me that they had TWO HUNDRED that came out of quarantine this morning.

So, the school of purples and yellows will be here Thursday morning. You can expect some pictures sometime after that. I probably will not turn on the lights on Thursday, and maybe not on Friday depending on how they are looking. I will be gone all Labor Day weekend.

Ben
Old 08/27/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Thats great Ben i cant wait to see how your tank progress over the months. I know what you mean about leaving. I hope to get my tank on its stand this week but i have to leave next month for 2 weeks and the wife has something planned for the weekend. Soon ,..Little by little. I look forward to seeing your updated pics.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/27/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

new pics??
Old 08/27/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

WOW

I showed my wife your tank and told her i want one of those and she told me, " Dream on." LOVE YOUR TANK!
Old 08/28/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akbuuur
new pics??
Quote:
Hi all!

No new pics,
Posted 2 above yours.
Old 08/28/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Just read the whole thing (more or less ) and Ill have to say that after labor day weekend for a pic is TOO LONG! Cant wait to see those tangs in that tank.

Trying to learn everything about something and something about everything...
Old 08/29/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Two hundred purple tangs! That's ridiculous. How many are you going to get, maybe around 90 or so?
Old 08/29/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TRITON1
Just read the whole thing (more or less ) and Ill have to say that after labor day weekend for a pic is TOO LONG! Cant wait to see those tangs in that tank.
Yeah, I know... If past experience holds, though, even if I were to turn on the lights on Friday, the fish will just go hide in the rocks.

They are on the plane as I type this... so I'll report back tomorrow.

(No, not 90 ... just 4!)

Ben
Old 08/29/2007, 10:45 PM

Just release them into the system after lights out. That seems to work much better.
Old 08/30/2007, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Welp, six tangs arrived today looking pretty darn good. All are going at it in the main tank now after oxygenization and drip acclimation in a 5 gallon breeder. (Nothing like $500 of fish jammed into a 5 gallon tank to keep one on one's toes!)

I'm going to bring up the lights for an hour or so this evening, and I'll take some pics then.

News at eleven. Er, seven. Mountain Time.

Ben
Old 08/30/2007, 04:59 PM

can't wait to see the pics. How many male vs female?
Old 08/30/2007, 05:01 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by bbrantley
Welp, six tangs arrived today looking pretty darn good. All are going at it in the main tank now after oxygenization and drip acclimation in a 5 gallon breeder. (Nothing like $500 of fish jammed into a 5 gallon tank to keep one on one's toes!)

I'm going to bring up the lights for an hour or so this evening, and I'll take some pics then.

News at eleven. Er, seven. Mountain Time.

Ben
Hope the animal rights people don't see this. You may need M. Vick's legal council.

Stop and smell the Coral.
Old 08/30/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
can't wait to see the pics. How many male vs female?
No idea! How do I sex them? I certainly didn't specify anything when I ordered, not that I was asked. To their credit, they did throw up a yellow flag when I said I wanted so many.

Ben
Old 08/30/2007, 05:44 PM

no idea...
Old 08/30/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Did they calm down after you told them your tank was 800g ?

Trying to learn everything about something and something about everything...
Old 08/30/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

just WOW
Old 08/30/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquariumSpecialty
Hope the animal rights people don't see this. You may need M. Vick's legal council.
Har, har, har.

The really interesting thing is that, if you put enough fish into close quarters, they drop their territorial instinct! Doesn't seem very logical, but then, there's a lot of illogical stuff in this hobby.

This is how people keep those crazy (often Asian) tanks packed with bajillions of fish. There is a tipping point above which the fish stop bothering each other. Now, whether they enjoy being sardine-ized, I dunno...

Pics still to come. I forgot about a chauffeuring commitment this evening, so I'm doing that now. I noticed the fish took to hiding around 6pm, so I may not be able to get any pictures this evening. If not, tomorrow should be good.

Ben
Old 08/30/2007, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TRITON1
Did they calm down after you told them your tank was 800g ?
They sure did! I guess in my dreams I would encourage them to have enough CRM technology to recognize, the next time I call, that I don't need a cautionary lecture. But, to tell you the truth, I'm just pleased to get quality fish at decent prices from a trustworthy dealer... so I'll gladly explain every time I call and order 5 times more fish than "normal." (Which really won't be many more times, to tell you the truth.)

I'm down to 9 chromis now. Maybe I should keep adding a dozen more until they evolve down to the 20 strongest? Maybe this is hopeless like nearly everyone else seems to think... Hmm....

Ben
Old 08/30/2007, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

the Chomis' aggression problem would sort of belie your previous statement.
Old 08/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carloskoi
the Chomis' aggression problem would sort of belie your previous statement.
Hmmm, lost ya there. What do you mean? (And what was my previous statement?)

I haven't observed anything I would classify as aggression, not that that means much. When they first went in the tank they liked to nip at one chromis that was already injured on arrival. I haven't seen any of that since then, but it just seems like one dies every week or so. I was seeing a stable count of ten for several weeks, but today it looks like there is one less than before. Almost like there is some night marauding going on or something.

Weird.

Ben
Old 08/30/2007, 09:17 PM

they are thinning the herd. I am confinced that in the wild, they kill of the weaker ones to keep the bloodline strong.
Old 08/30/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Well, everyone came back out and went for a swimmy-swim this evening after the lights came on. (I've had the lights off for over a week trying to cut down on algae, so it was a bit of surprise even for the tank veterans.)

Alas, I've not scraped the acrylic in a week, either, so there is a plethora of mess on it that makes it most unpicturesque. The good news is that the newbies seem to love swimming directly into the flow pretty much continuously. The bad news is that they did it in two groups (of 3 and 4, respectively), so it was impossible to get them all in one shot tonight. Perhaps tomorrow with some food it will be easier.

One of the yellows has a little tear in his fin; one of the purples has some tiny white spots evenly spaced around the outer edges of his top and bottom fins. I'll be watching closely to see how those heal up (cross fingers). All the purples are already grazing on the hair algae (they also all ate nori off the clip immediately in the holding tank... unlike Tabitha!).

Until next time,

Ben
Old 08/31/2007, 06:23 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Very cool!