Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks kmjoen230 and Rue. I thinking of getting a something very blue. Any suggestions? I would prefer something that can get by without being fed. I do feed my corals sometimes, but I like those can survive photosynthetic in case I blow off feedings. I am not sure if all sps require feedings.
Old 12/16/2007, 08:57 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - do those little critters on the glass look like this?

http://melevsreef.com/id/safe_isopod.html

or this?

http://melevsreef.com/id/copepod2.html

Both good to have.
Old 12/16/2007, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- I think they look like this http://melevsreef.com/id/copepod2.html of course they are supper small. But this morning I have even more of them I would twice as much as I did yesterday on the glass. I really want to clean it so I can see things clearly, but then again I sort want those to breed and be happy...
Old 12/16/2007, 09:36 AM
Genuine reef addict

I'd go ahead and clean the glass. They may just fall off as you do, and I doubt you'll wipe them all out even if you do smash a few!
Old 12/16/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

It's to bad I can't get a picture to turn out showing all of them. I swear there is at least 500+ of those little things all over the tank today. I think I will go ahead and clean it, I hate it being so dirty. Thanks for the advice on them I wasn't sure what to do with those things.
Old 12/16/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

ok my nassarius snails laid eggs about how long does it take for them to grow?
Old 12/16/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Stuart, I have been keeping 3 sps corals for a while now and all are doing quite well. I plan on adding 3 or 4 more acro's when I get a chance to pic some up. My local fish stores dont bring in sps. I have a red and a green montipora cap and an unidentified acropora likely from indo as it is not very brightly colored. They all have good growth and color.

Give one a try, I think you will be happy.

Also, my limewood air stone mod in my skimmer is still doing much better then the stock skimmer. The only down fall so far have been that when I change my filter floss the skimmer sometimes over flows with too much foam. So I now just turn off the air pump to the stone and then slowly increase the amount of air, takes about 30 mins to settle down.

Steve
Old 12/16/2007, 11:36 AM
Professional Obfuscator

Just found the BTA stuck in the intake...turned everything off...I'll see if he can pull himself out...

Old 12/16/2007, 12:24 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - oh nooooo!!! I guess kmjoen's fears were realized. Let us know if the BTA is able to pull himself out!
Old 12/16/2007, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

So I finally broke down and added the canister filter to the tank. I took all their media out and replaced it with carbon and other things, but no ceramic media at all. So can we say MICRO BUBBLES!! The tank is FULL of them now, no idea why or what really changed, but it totally sucks to see all the bubbles. I am hoping once things settle down some that will go away. The water level in the back is the same as before which is what would cause the bubbles for me, so

*EDIT*
So its the skimmer for sure that is doing this. I can turn it off and leave the power heads on and the tank clears up. I turn the skimmer back on and with in 20 seconds the tank fills with micro bubbles. I have cleaned the white pad, I have cleaned the black sponge, ive cut the black sponge. Yet the tank is FULL of micro bubbles... I totally broke my cardinal rule... If things are working, DON'T TOUCH IT, YOU'LL BREAK IT!!! D@MN I am really ****ed off about this...

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 12/16/2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Oh RUE!!!
I feel your anguish!

Mine made it out alive, actually it went THROUGH it and i took him out from behind the gate.
He lived and is healthy and now knows better!
He does have scaring though on various tentacles.
Good luck!!
Old 12/16/2007, 01:35 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I know! Your pics scared me! I thought he had been in there long enough to have stayed away from there...guess not!

Well...he pulled himself out...colour looks good...tips bubbled up again (if that means anything at all) Now he's sitting on the tank wall just below the intake - don't want to turn it on again until he moves a bit further away.

I can't tell if he's hurt or not...mouth looks a little funny, but I don't see any tears...

I'll keep you posted...
Old 12/16/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

sounds good so far
Old 12/16/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

here is some of what i got yesterday.

Old 12/16/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy:

I had a similar mirco bubble problem when I installed my phosban reactor. A couple fo things. It should subside some in time. Also, where do you have the intake and output plumbed. What made a big difference for me was to plumb the intake deep within the spot between the skimmer and the heater compartment and the output hose deep within the heater compartment. What caused a lottle of bubbles for me is when I had the output hose plumbed into the left chamber where the stock power heads reside. I think by moving the output hose to well within the heater chamber it eliminates any bubbles being fed to the power heads from the canister.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Stephan -- Oh your so going to have to frag me some of those! since we live sorta close to one another

Stuart -- I have the return line all but at the bottom of the chamber with the heater. When I turn the protein skimmer on its like the bubbles are leaking out of the skimmer, the back compartments are filling with the bubbles. I did not even touch the d@mn skimmer in this install, I removed the pop out and put the hoses in. I think the skimmer is staying off for now while the lights are on and it run at night when the lights are off. Flipping totally pi$$ed about this happening, the RSM skimmer just totally blows and I think I am done with it completely!

You know these aquariums are "supposed" to reduce my stress, but today I could smash it!

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 12/16/2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

*EDIT*
So its the skimmer for sure that is doing this. I can turn it off and leave the power heads on and the tank clears up. I turn the skimmer back on and with in 20 seconds the tank fills with micro bubbles. I have cleaned the white pad, I have cleaned the black sponge, ive cut the black sponge. Yet the tank is FULL of micro bubbles... I totally broke my cardinal rule... If things are working, DON'T TOUCH IT, YOU'LL BREAK IT!!! D@MN I am really ****ed off about this... [/B][/QUOTE]

Man oh man you must be ****ed lol.. Try removing all of the sponges. I did this and I have never had any micro bubble problems. I run some filter floss above the skimmer pump, I set it on top of a piece of egg crate so it does not get sucked down. I just change it every three days. I found that the floss does not slow the flow down like the sponges. And from my fresh water days I know that sponges always get caked up with tons of gunk, nitrate factory.

I should also add that I picked up a green devils hand last week and added a few extra snails, the snails all died. I dont think they were acclimated at the lfs, I dripped them for 2.5 hours. The leather is starting to look good though.

Also, while doing my weekly 10 gal water change today I attached my red and green blasto to the back glass with some expoy, seemed to work great. I hate the look of the epoxy but I will glue some zoos to it next week. I was on a roll so I cut off some mushroom, zoo and gsp polyps and super glued them to the back glass also. The Zoos and gps took fine and opened up but the mushroom was oozing some much I dont think the glue took, its just sort of hanging there.

I think the tank will look soooo nice with the back glass covered in polyps of different types.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12/16/2007, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to ask this, what is the skimmer most people replace this piece of @#$%^#&%*@#^!&$!(*%!*%& one the RSM comes with? I know its a Tunze but what model was it again? Will it fit in the same location as the stock one? I don't mind if the little lid that covers the skimmer now wont fit by replacing the skimmer. I would gladly trade that for the (*&^%@%#$@&%$ bubbles I have at the moment!

I've done everything I can think of today. I replaced the white filter pad with a new one. I cut the black sponge down to about 1/2" thick. Everything is great until I turn on the skimmer! I did read that the new skimmers were supposed to come with a "Blue" O-ring mine has a BLACK ONE! I might call RSM tomorrow and pitch a fit about this %#*(&(*&@%*^%$!@*!Y!)_(*_$! skimmer they put in the RSM.

I just don't get it, they give you the location to add tubes if you wanted to run a "Chiller" all I did was pop the plastic off added two hoses in that location, nothing touching the skimmer. But all hell has broken lose with the skimmer! Now I am questioning the entire purchase of this tank instead of building one like I wanted to first...

Grrrrr!

*edit*
is this it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tunze-9002-Doc-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 12/16/2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 06:57 PM
Genuine reef addict

stephensturman - nice zoas! Is the 3rd pic from the top a zoa or ???

Y-DesygnGuy - what happens if you turn off the cannister? Cannisters can generate bubbles for a while - try tilting the cannister back & forth to try to get any trapped air out of it. Or did you try that already? The skimmer people have gone to is the Tunze Nano Doc 9002. Another person just put one in and can maybe answer your setup questions. Definitely get in touch with Red Sea - they should send you the blue ring upgrade free I believe.

Reefersteve - if you get any pics of the corals mounted on the back let us see them! Wow - a full 10 gallon water change every week? I can barely cope with all of the bucket & jug hauling, SW & RO/DI makeup involved with a 3-4 gallon weekly change!

Rue - sound like good news. Keep us posted! I remember those pics from Kmjoen - amazing the nem could recover from that!

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/16/2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

its a baby green and yellow yuma! about a 1/4 inch lol
Old 12/16/2007, 07:18 PM
Genuine reef addict

I was guessing maybe a yuma, but wasn't sure - and a pretty one!
Old 12/16/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- The bubbles only happen when the skimmer is turned on. The canister has been on and running all day zero bubbles. Its when you turn the skimmer on you can look in the back and see the back area start to fill up with bubbles and 20 seconds later they are being blown throughout the tank. I will make a video of it tomorrow when everyone is gone and the house is calmer. I am so upset that nothing was touched with the skimmer other than I turned everything off then back on while putting the canister in...
Old 12/16/2007, 07:49 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - that's a real bummer! I was wondering if the cannister was feeding bubbles to the skimmer somehow, or somehow affected the skimmer, but it really made no sense that it would. I'd get the blue ring mod and try that before the Tunze. I'm just stumped by what could have happened. Does the water level in back look normal? Did you try closing the air valve on the skimmer way down? Is the skimmer putting more foam into the cup, or just more bubbles into the tank?
Old 12/16/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy,

My stock skimmer leaked bubbles from the bottom constantly. I had the blue ring pump. Even had it replaced after complaining...same crap.

Ive had the Tunze Nano 9002 installed for a few days and no more MB. The one shown in the ebay ad is a new one c/w a magnetic attachment. The old style had an adjustable clamp bracket assembly.

Old style = mounted on heater glass divider
New style = mounted on glass wall behind control panel.

It can be mounted low enough for the lid to close but it sits about 3/4" lower than suggested. So far it seems to be ok at this level. I haven't got it to skim much tho, maybe just break in??

If you're not worried about closing the lid, you may want to look at the Remora. It looks bigger and better quality...the Tunze is cheaply made for the money!!!
Old 12/16/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack -- Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the water level. I messed with the gate at different levels, I messed with the air inlet on the skimmer, you name it I tried today. The only thing I can possibly think is... Those bubbles were always present in the back chambers but they weren't being forced through so fast so it wasn't noticeable? Now that the return from the canister is blowing water down the heater section I am "guessing" the bubbles just don't have time to pop or do whatever they did before? But I didn't have any micro bubbles before this and now I can even turn the canister off and the micro bubbles are now there!!

Hodge -- Thank you for that information! I will contact Red Sea and give them an ear full and get the "new blue" o-ring thing and try that before dropping any more cash. But if that doesn't work I will pick one of those skimmers up. Thank you for the input on them, I might be sending you a lot of pm's asking for help

Thanks for listening to me rant about this! It was just such a let down, I was so un-sure about the canister to start with and then this happened, just bummed me out. I thought it would be so much easier to change media out with a canister vrs, taking the power heads off each time and reaching down that little space.

Last edited by Y-DesygnGuy; 12/16/2007 at 08:58 PM.