Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 03:01 PM
Genuine reef addict

Laurent - no updates lately. I hope all is well.
Old 11/16/2007, 10:39 PM
Excuse My French...

Hi Reefmack and Hello all...

I am just emerging from a very very bad cold that kept me in bed the whole week.

More tomorrow...
Old 11/17/2007, 06:08 AM
Genuine reef addict

Sorry to hear you've been ill Laurent. We'll wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:09 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 21 - Day 143 - Sunday November 18th - Around 8pm

Back to life after a very bad cold...

- Tested the water yesterday:

. NO3, PO4: Both zero
. pH: 8.2
. Alk (using Red Sea test): Normal, low range
. Ca: 480 (still very high)

This morning:

- Replaced PhosBan and Active Carbon with one unit of ChemiPure Elite.

- Rinsed (in Salt water) the ceramic balls and clean the bag. Syphoned out water from the filtration chamber removing a massive amount of dirty stuff in the process.

- Replaced 3 gallons of water.

Tonight:

- The feather duster is growing a new crown!

- The sea star reappeared after hiding for almost one week. Three arms are badly damaged: like amputated.

- The gramma is still not doing well.

- Xenias are grown a huge lot and have now reached and encroached on the neighbouring rock. Green Star Polyps are multiplying.

- Zoanthids seem to do better, expanding more.

- Green hairy algae is back a bit along with bryopsis.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Good to hear you, and most of your livestock are doing better. Any pics of your flourishing system?
Old 11/19/2007, 06:57 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Laurent & welcome back! That's good on the feather duster. What's wrong with the gramma - still hiding & rubbing against the rock? The Xenia is doing what Xenia do so well - spreading. Watch out it doesn't take over the tank like my elongata type did. I hacked off more of the elongata type Saturday and moved my original Red Sea pom pom frag (3 colonies on it now) to the top of the tank, leaving behind 2 pom pom colonies that grew off the frag nad attached to rock above where the frag was.

The sea star sounds like it's showing signs of starvation. I had a sand sifting star months ago that starting losing arms and just falling apart. My serpent star and Fromia seem to be doing fine, but I think my Linkia is getting thinner now - not a good sign for the Linkia, but it's typical of all that I've read about the stars - the Fromia and Linkia types usually starve, but the serpent types do well.

What kind of dosing were you doing with the Kent Tech M - the weekly dosage or the daily? I added the recommended weekly dose Saturday, and started the daily dosage on Sunday, but cut it back from the recommended 1ml/g (34 ml in the RSM) to 20ml to make up for a lot of rock volume. I haven't seen much affect yet on the patches of bryopsis, but haven't noticed any adverse effect on the fish, inverts or corals.

Last edited by Reefmack; 11/19/2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11/19/2007, 11:16 PM
Excuse My French...

Hi ReefMack, Thanks for the info on the sea star.

The Gramma is hiding and rubbing. But it shows signs of starvation. It does eat: Cyclop-Eeze, Brine shrimp and even pellets. But it seems to be thinner everyday. I feed twice a day. In the meantime, the yellow wrasse gets fatter and I have the feeling that the whole tank gets too much of food because pest algae is gaining ground.

About Tech M: I ended up with the same calculation: 35ml. I started to add 5 ml in the morning and 5ml in the evening always diluted in about one pint of tank water. I was using a serynge to dose the product. I was pouring the mix in two or three steps before the skimmer so that hopefully the addition would happen slowly. I started to see negative effects on the Gramma after four days and immediately stopped, then made water changes every five days or so.
Old 11/20/2007, 07:52 AM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks for the info. on the Tech M Laurent. I did the recommended weekly dose the first day, followed by 2 daily doses of 20ml. No negative effects on anything seen yet, but no positive effect on the bryopsis either.

I hope the gramma starts looking better.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:58 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 21 - Day 146 - Wednesday November 21st - Around 6pm

- Removed and cleant the skimmer then followed by a thorough cleaning of the bottom of skimmer chamber: Removed a lot of dirt in the process.

- Three gallons water change.

- The feather duster is growing his new crown quite fast!

- The sea star: Still in very bad shape.

- The gramma is still not doing well.

- Other fishes and the shrimp all doing good.

- All corals are doing very well, expanding nicely.

- Pest algae is back...

I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:37 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Laurent. On the pest algae I upped my daily dose of Tech M to 50ml today & may try 100ml tomorrow. No negative effect on life in the tank. I'm hoping when I get to 1600pm Mg that I'll see the bryopsis begin to die off.

Good news on the feather duster!
Old 11/22/2007, 12:19 AM
Moved On

Any recent pics?
Old 11/22/2007, 08:28 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 21 - Day 147 - Thursday November 22nd - Around 6pm

- Did nothing special today except removing quite a lot of algae from the GSP and bryopsis around the mushrooms.

- Finally a few pictures!

FTS:

Pest algae is clearly back on the front left rock. And the gramma look sick and starving.

Mushrooms:

This mushroom rock had three big polyps and a small one when I bought it. All the other small guys were borm in the tank.

Green Star Polyps:

These ones are quite healthy and they grow fast, especially in the back of the rock but that cannot be seen on the picture above.

Xenia:

Amazing growth! The little rock only had five stalks when I got it. Now it has doubled in size with a dozen stalks. One of them has expanded enough to encroach on the neighbouring rock and it is already starting to split in two!
Old 11/22/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!! Your corals are looking great btw.
Old 11/22/2007, 09:44 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Laurent. The Xenia really does grow quick! Same with mine. Good luck with the algae. Do you have both hair & bryopsis? Hard to tell from the FTS but it looked like still some of both. I think I'm starting to see some patches of my bryopsis beginning to die off after the Mg additions, but it hasn't been quick, and I hope I'm not upsetting the water chemistry too much with the amounts I'm adding.

What's that branching coral (or macro) between the Ricordea yumas and the mushrooms?
Old 11/22/2007, 10:12 PM
Excuse My French...

pbukow:

Thanks!

Reefmack:

Yes, I have back both hair algae and bryopsis. I read you add one hundred ml per day of the Kent M with positive results while I got sick fishes with about 40ml dosed along one week... I don't understand...

The "thing" between the mushroom is a macro algae. Maybe some kind of Gracilaria or Scianaia according to this page: http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/g.../algaepage.htm

Arrived as hitch-hiker, it started to grow significantly when I started to supplement some Calcium, same for the Halimeda on the very top of tank.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:27 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Laurent. I was going by the directions in that bryopsis post. It said several were adding 100ppm/day (5ml/g) so I figured I'd use 20g as the amount of my water & try it. Today is the first day I added a full 100ml. Yesterday I added 50ml. So far things seem OK. It definitely had no effect at all on any of my fish, and i was adding 20ml/day the first 2 days. Maybe the gramma is ill for some other reason? Are the others OK?
Old 11/23/2007, 02:13 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 22 - Day 148 - Friday November 23rd - Around 11am

- I fed the tank early this morning, and did it again around 11am.

- Made a two gallons water change,

- Tested again for Ca and finally got a result lower at 460ppm. (Since quite a while, actually when starting dosing Magnesium, Ca readings were stuck beyond the scale of the test!)

- Removed white pad and sponges and set the "black gate" a bit below normal position.

All the above because I am leaving for the weekend.

Next update on late Sunday night.

And hopefully remember that today is "I BUY NOTHING" day...
Old 11/25/2007, 10:28 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 22 - Day 150 - Sunday November 25th - Around 8pm

Back from the weekend... Everything seems to be fine. Fed the tank with cyclop-eeze and re-establish mechanical filtration. Topped-off with fresh water.

One day without food and it seems like there is a bit less bryopsis...
Old 11/25/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

You should try to leave your tank dark for a couple of days. I've read great things about it, there was a thread that was actually thread of the month on reefkeeping.com a few months ago (i'll try and find it). It clears the water up real nicely and is actually more natural to the animals to have a couple days a month with little or no light. Just like it being overcast in the wild.

I would think if you did this then the day you turn your lights back on, pull out as much dead/dying bryopsis as you can and do a water change, you could really help cut back your algae problem. Just a thought.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Here it is:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1078532

Here is also one of my favorite nano threads also, very clean and simple setup.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Last edited by pbukow; 11/25/2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11/26/2007, 10:20 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 22 - Day 151 - Monday November 26th - Around 7pm

- Bad news: Back home tonight and found the gramma dead. All other animals are doing well except the sea star that is nowhere to be found...

pbukow: Quite interesting: I will try that possibly next week. I will let things settle a bit.
Old 11/27/2007, 07:35 AM
Genuine reef addict

Laurent - sorry about the gramma I have a feeling that the star may have just disintegrated, since it was losing arms, but maybe it will show up. Not an update that I wanted to hear, but hopefully things will get better from now on.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the gramma, maybe he had some sort of internal parasite, so there might not have been anything you could've done anyway. Not a good update
Old 11/29/2007, 12:26 AM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 22 - Day 153 - Wednesday November 28th - Around 9pm

- Done a lot of work earlier this afternoon at cutting and removing a lot of bryopsis and red and green hairy algae.

- Followed with a 3g water change.

- Moved the Xenia to the top of the tank to avoid colonisation of the GSP rock.

- Moved the palys a bit more to the center.

- Cleant the filters

- And finally took this FTS:

There is still a lot of bryopsis and other algae in the tank!

The feather duster is growing its new crown very fast and now be seen on the above shot.

There is a hitchhiker mushrooms on the Xenia rock. Hopefully, it will like the new spot.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:23 PM
Excuse My French...

Month 5 - Week 22 - Day 154 - Thursday November 29th - Around 7pm

- Nothing special tonight, except the daily routine of topping off, cleaning the white pad, etc.

- Tested Calcium: Now at 450ppm. Top of the scale but now within the range of "normality".

- Looks like some specy of Caulerpa is growing in one of the zoanthid colonies: I removed it. I have learnt that Caulerpa can quickly become a trouble because the stolons are able to "pierce" the coral tissues.