Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2004, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Mark, I've been watching this thread in silence, but I figured I would chime in now. If anyone would have been able to pull this off, it would be you, and you definately did! Congrats man, and great job. I wish the reefing community up here was like yours down there!

I too just got a new tank (120g), but it will be a month or 2 before I get it up and running due to the problems with deadlines in my profession and all that .

Once again, great job.
Old 08/03/2004, 09:27 AM
Premium Member

Hey Mark have the Tang Police been at your place yet? Glad to see the Hippo made it. Do you have any aggression issues with the Purple and the Banghaii ? I want a Banghaii to fill the upper water area in my FOWLR but am afraid my PT will abuse him. Awesome idea on the sliding light rack. Now all I need is another house with a garage and I can use it ! Peter
Old 08/03/2004, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Looks great Marc - you guys did a terrific job!!! All of the fish look to be in pretty good shape - I am sure they are happy to have new home!!

Gerard
Old 08/03/2004, 01:01 PM
Force of Nature

Marc!!! Great looking tank!!!

I just love the eurobracing around your tank!!!
Old 08/03/2004, 03:26 PM
TRC Leader

leonet, I've not started the new sump yet. Even though this entire project may appear rushed on my part, I really do like to think things through and visualize how it will work before I build it. When I first thought about upgrading, it was about 1.5 years ago. I've mentioned my desire to build an L-shaped tank around that corner, and three threads have been devoted to that topic. I never did take the plunge as the cost of the tank was just too big a hurdle for me. However, when this tank became available, I shelved my goal and adopted this setup instead.

I was just standing in front of the 280g, leaning on my empty 55g and enjoyed the new look.

AcroSteve, I can do just that, quite easily. I just have to wait for some water to evaporate. Currently, if I turn off my return pump, the sump would overflow now that all the rock has displaced quite a bit of water.

Thanks, rjwilson.

H20Luvsme, I just did that a minute ago.

Flaunt, you can do it!

Dazz, thanks for the vote of confidence. I have to admit, I've been so immersed in this project that I grew gills. Now it is time for me to get back to work so I can pay the bills. I'll still be finishing up things, but getting my living room, kitchen and garage back will be nice.

bonerfortuna, the purple tang and Bangaii came with the 280g, and were even in the same trashcan of water when I moved all the fish originally (9 days ago (Sunday)). I've not seen any acts of aggression at all with any of the fish. However, it looks like my Flame Angel has chapped lips today! I don't know if that is a sign that it may have been fighting with the Coral Beauty, but its lips are light in color, or its mouth is stuck open. It was hard to tell. The tangs are swimming machines!! The Naso in particular hates (or should I say loves) bubble algae. Every item I placed in the tank was inspected, and immediately assaulted if a bubble (valonia) was present. Btw, the naso does not handle that task gingerly. I cringed when I watched a patch of zoos go flying. But like a surgeon (Get it? Surgeon fish) it removes only the algae and the coral is not hurt (much). I only have six tangs.

lovetoreef, everyone seems to be fine. I did notice some rockwork shifting today and had to rearrange some corals to avoid any contact betwixt them.

Typhon, I agree. That eurobracing is awesome, and even handy at times. I do wish I was a bit taller, or the tank shorter, but I'm going to work with what I've got.
Old 08/03/2004, 04:10 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
AcroSteve, I can do just that, quite easily. I just have to wait for some water to evaporate. Currently, if I turn off my return pump, the sump would overflow now that all the rock has displaced quite a bit of water.

One thing to keep in mind that may not have been mentioned. I had to make sure that the take off for the reactor feed was under water when the pump is off. You do not want it in a section of pipe that does not contain water at all times, or it can draw excessive air into the reactor and cause problems. Been there, done that.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 08/03/2004, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

Marc,
I am back from vacation and have enjoyed catching up on your thread (I left when you were on page 3). It took a while to read but it was worth it. Great job on the tank. I love the lights!!! Thanks for all of the pictures and inspiration.
Old 08/03/2004, 04:49 PM
TRC Leader

Steve, great point. I actually picked a spot that is now unsuitable.

Thanks, Firefighter_Tim.
Old 08/03/2004, 04:57 PM
Certified Trouble-Maker

Marc,

Excellent Job as always - First Class!!

I'm glad everything worked out as planned - or at least worked out.

Thanks for allowing us to live vicariously through you.

Congratulations!!

Robert
Old 08/03/2004, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

That's wonderful Marc! Whoever did the rockscape did a great job, the balance between rock, sand, and open space is just about perfect.

Best,
Phil
Old 08/03/2004, 05:14 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks Robert & Phil.

Evan helped me place the rockwork, because it is very difficult for a number of reasons.

#1) The 55g is still in the way for easy front access.
#2) The 280g is 6' long and 30" deep. Tough to each more than a third of the tank at a time.
#3) Some LR has corals growing on them, so I didn't have an empty slate to work with.

I'm getting some micrubbles in the tank today, but my plumbing is only 8 days old, and the return section of this sump is pathetic. I'm going to build a series of horitozontal baffles that will help impede the bubbles from the cascading water.
Old 08/03/2004, 08:28 PM
Reef Addict

Marc the Tank Looks awesome i cant wait to see what the front of the tank is going to look like.
Exellent job
Old 08/03/2004, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

do you plan to add more LR?

No, Officer i swear, its just kalkwasser

Last edited by hail_sniper; 08/03/2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08/03/2004, 10:25 PM
TRC Leader

Yes, but it will have to wait a while. I'd like to put some in the rear corners between the overflows, so I can put a couple of corals in those areas. They would be higher than the center of the tank.
Old 08/03/2004, 10:26 PM
TRC Leader

I bought my DJ power centers yesterday at Guitar Center. $29 each. I need to create my outlet panel.
Old 08/03/2004, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

well this is my favorite thread in all of RC i have read all the posts for a

few days now without any short coments like i love your avitar
I know i am on most peoples ignore list but Marc you have one of my favorite tanks and threads at least i can read in peace !
Old 08/03/2004, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

I hope all is well with your flame. I love the flame. They are so awsome to look at. My cleaner shrimp and him or her have a great relationship.

All is looking well. Man you have a ton of room in that tank. Some day, Marc some day I will be there too. Keep posting the progress this is great!

AvianArt.net
Old 08/03/2004, 10:41 PM
TRC Leader

To avoid being ignored, just talk about something of value. You've got that cool tank over your bed... surely you have things to say about your experiences in the hobby.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 08/03/2004, 10:51 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by reewik
I hope all is well with your flame. I love the flame. They are so awsome to look at. My cleaner shrimp and him or her have a great relationship.

All is looking well. Man you have a ton of room in that tank. Some day, Marc some day I will be there too. Keep posting the progress this is great!
I like your little octagon! It looks so awesome.

One of the Yellow Bellied Hippos appears to have Ich and bumps on its body. I'm not sure why that is, but yesterday was a monumental day and it may have stressed it to the point that its immune system is lowered. I watched it get closer to the cleaner shrimp, but they didn't help the Hippo at all.

After talking to another guy in the hobby for a very long time, I decided to put in the rest of the clowns and the other damsel. My 6 yr old percula has an opponent currently with a younger ocellaris, but maybe things will work out.
Old 08/03/2004, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Your welcome
Old 08/03/2004, 11:13 PM
TRC Leader

To sweet Marc.

You will need months to recover from these two weeks!
Old 08/04/2004, 12:32 AM
TRC Leader

Thanks Amy. I think MACNA should do the trick.
Old 08/04/2004, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Marc isn't it nice to here how "perfect" the rockwork is after all the time we spent arranging and trying to make due with what we had (most corals already attached to rocks)?

MMMMMM it was sooo worth it.

Last edited by quiksilver; 08/04/2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08/04/2004, 08:52 AM
TRC Leader

Hey Evan, I got one of the Tunze Streams to work. I used the "Driver" from my Turbelle.

Btw, Muriatic Acid is amazing stuff.
Old 08/04/2004, 09:19 AM
Reef Mania

How about an up to date picture. Has it cleared up and did you get the other MH bulb?

I did my move the same way you did. I setup and cycled the tank and when the water parameter's were the same I just moved things right over into the new tank from the 29 galon. It worked out fine with no loses.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting