Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/14/2005, 06:14 PM
Fishaholics Anonymous

get a fighting instead of a queen conch and they dont need 2 square feet they only need one square foot and i wouldnt advise you to cut the fins this could make it unbalanced and cause vibrations and noise go with an ac mini impeller or any impeller from a smaller ac filter you can also add the surface skimming attachment that will slow your flow some too

nano-cube dx
65 gallon african cichlid tank
2.5 gal betta tank

Adam
Old 03/14/2005, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

did someone say chaeto?!

Picked it up today and you can get a get top view of how I have it all set up.

Old 03/14/2005, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TigerWoods
Sweet setup...thats some nice LR in there....full of color! I still cant get my maroon clown to host with anything yet. But then again I dont have many corals in my tank.

keep us posted!
in talking to some other people I've hear maroon's are really picky and only really like bta/rose so if you really want him to host you may have to try one of those out... I'm tempted to kinda skip coral and just get a small bta and kinda build the tank around it, it being about the only thing in there besides some inverts and my maroon, but we'll see haven't fully decided yet...
Old 03/16/2005, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

well just did my tests on my water...

temp: 80.5
S/G: 1.025 or 35ppm
PH: 8.2
Amonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: just under 10ppm

so not too bad can't quite figure out where the amonia is comin from been there even when there wasnt any fish... hopefully my fuge will run a little longer and get that out.
Old 03/16/2005, 05:34 PM
Now give me a dollar!

Was your rock fully curred?
Old 03/16/2005, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

yeah it was... the tank has been up for almost 3 months now so it may just be finishing off cycling. I think the issue though may be that when I first start things for the 1st about month month and half I was using tap water I have since then switched to using R/O water but obvioulsy once the tap water has been in there it's hard to get it all out without draining things completely and starting over.
Old 03/16/2005, 09:22 PM
Now give me a dollar!

I dont think that tap would cause an amonia spike. When my tank was relatively new and i had a fight with ammonia i just put some prime in.

Carl
Old 03/17/2005, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Prime? Explain more? Thanks!
Old 03/17/2005, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Prime? you mean bacteria supplement thing?
I am not sure how well it will gonna work tho... I think that is waste of money. I mean why use it for things that time will take care of? We all know, ammonia will go down when time goes by.
BTW, it that really works?
Old 03/17/2005, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Ok actually I think I have some... It's in a red bottle usually used to clear up tap water... Maybe I'll add some to the tank and see what happens but i'm really so careful about what I change or add to the tank... Heck I'm afraid to try a carbon pad just in case it does somthing bad cause i've heard stories...
Old 03/18/2005, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

Here's the newest addition to the tank my very small black urchin... he's actually I think a very dark purple and then the ends of his spines are a light blue kinda... I know everyone says the'll eat all the coraline but I have yet to see him eat anything other than algae off the glass and rocks so we'll see... I have a bigger tank planned in the very near future so when he gets bigger I'll go ahead and move him over there.

Flame on I say!

Old 04/02/2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

Here's some updated shots so far. I added a frag of frogspawn last night.

And then a new full tank shot.