Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/15/2005, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

seachems matrix
Old 01/15/2005, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rtc_reefer
Wow! Lots of Black Diamond Proponants!
I tried to put some BD into my "media holders" in my Emperor 400 and the chips seem to get through the slits. I could bag it .. then put it in the holder I guess. However, those bags may restrict flow.... I'll give it a whirl!
I've never had a problem using the black diamond with my emp 400.
In the intial wash they slip thourgh, but once put i place it is good to go.
I just did a swap today, used 50/50 of black diamond and matrix.
I'll let u all know how it goes.
Old 01/15/2005, 09:00 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I vote Matrix carbon.
Old 01/16/2005, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

Any research grade carbon that says no phospates on the side. I think most of the others will leach phosphate into the water. If this is a problem or not depends on your system IMO.
Old 01/16/2005, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ti
I've never had a problem using the black diamond with my emp 400.
In the intial wash they slip thourgh, but once put i place it is good to go.
I just did a swap today, used 50/50 of black diamond and matrix.
I'll let u all know how it goes.
Thanks!

That would be great... I did notice during the rinse that a few chips came through so I stopped and bagged it. I'll continue the rinse next time and determine how much really escapes. The Kent Reef Carbon looks like "hampster food" and seems course enough for these media holders. Do you get carbon chips at the bottom of your filter with the Black Diamond?
Old 01/16/2005, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rtc_reefer
Thanks!

That would be great... I did notice during the rinse that a few chips came through so I stopped and bagged it. I'll continue the rinse next time and determine how much really escapes. The Kent Reef Carbon looks like "hampster food" and seems course enough for these media holders. Do you get carbon chips at the bottom of your filter with the Black Diamond?
The trick is to not agitate the holder too much.
Flow water throught it when fresh and let the really small pieces slip out, then carefully place it in the emp. SOME will still slip out, but after like 5 mins they will all clump and stay. I never fonud any chips in the bottom of my emp, but some to escape to the tank, but it's no big deal when that happens.
Either I pick it up of the intake of my canister eventually picks it up.
Old 02/14/2005, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

I've broken into my matrix now and thigns seem relatively the same as with the black diamond.
I think I'l juse use whichever is cheaper on this one.
I'm not seeing much of a difference with the matrix carbon.
Old 02/14/2005, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Didn't they do a big analysis in AdvancedAquarist or Reefkeeping magazine?

- Mac
Old 02/14/2005, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Dolly
Now IF I were to use Black Diamond, I would buy the walmart brand. On the side it says it is made my marineland, so IMO it is the same stuff.
I picked up some of the wal-mart and tested it for phosphates. It came back clean!! I'm using it in my tank as we speak and haven't seen any issues.
Old 02/14/2005, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Walmart eh? sounds like a winner to me if they are as cheap as the others. NO SHIPPING CHARGES EITHER!
Old 02/14/2005, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

I always wonder how much to use and how long to leave it in.I just grab what ever is available.I dont give it a second thought.
Old 02/14/2005, 09:26 AM
Ron Paul 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Dolly
Matrix is IMO the best carbon.

Now IF I were to use Black Diamond, I would buy the walmart brand. On the side it says it is made my marineland, so IMO it is the same stuff.

I also use Marineland Black Diamond(which is $10 at Petco), but I was in Walmart this weekend and just for fun walked down their ghetto aquarium isle, when before my very eyes I saw a bottle which looked exactly like Marinelands Black Diamond. It wasn't called Black Diamond, but was still made by Marineland. Does anyone know if this stuff is the same thing? It was only $5 at Walmart.

click the little red house and check out my flash based photography gallery!
Old 02/14/2005, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Orchids
Black Diamond by far is the best. I have tried every brand I can find for my FW tanks and this is the best. It is also bone dry so you are paying for only the weight of the carbon and not water.

Black Dimond here, It's the only one I'll sell!

Dragon
Old 02/14/2005, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I'm using SeaChem Matrix carbon myself, but haven't tried anything else. I may give Black Diamond a try as the Matrix is on the high end of the price scale.
Old 02/14/2005, 03:27 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser
I also use Marineland Black Diamond(which is $10 at Petco), but I was in Walmart this weekend and just for fun walked down their ghetto aquarium isle, when before my very eyes I saw a bottle which looked exactly like Marinelands Black Diamond. It wasn't called Black Diamond, but was still made by Marineland. Does anyone know if this stuff is the same thing? It was only $5 at Walmart.
same exact stuff. if you look on the bottle you will even see the same manufacturer...:
Old 02/14/2005, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

You folks sold me, I'm swapping to walmart carbon.
Matrix carbon just isn;t much better than my black diamond, they are about the same.