Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/14/2007, 02:56 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/14/2007, 03:10 AM
Registered Member

The only problem with using acid is, it is dangerous, you can go blind, get burns etc. I would suggest a different method.
You could boil the rock, that would work by killing anything on the rock.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:54 AM
Team RC Member

boiling the rock will kill anything living on/in the rock but will leave the organics behind to rot.
if your going to do the acid bath do it out side not in the house.
for the acid bath fill a tub with fresh water and add muriatic acid to the water (always add acid to water never water to acid) at a ratio of 20 parts water to 1 part acid. you can go to a 10 to 1 ratio but you may not need that much. place the rock in the solution for anywhere between 1/2 an hour to two hours. when your done rinse well a few time in new RO for each rinse and let air dry. always use gloves and eye protection

------------------------------------------------
Old 12/14/2007, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

I used Marco rock for my 180 exclusively. I got three boxes of 50 (if memory serves). Also got 30 of the marco rubble. Used the rubble in the fuge and some in the display. The 125 pounds of marco filled the display. It's porous and light. Lots of "caves", etc.

I did use some dense base rock for the foundation. It sits in the 5" of sand I have.

I didn't cure it before adding to the display. Just took a little longer to cycle and lots of emptying of the skimmer.

I love the stuff. Highly recommended.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

Some pics of my tank the day I aquascaped, anything thats white is marco, theres about 5 large chunks of fiji mixed (they have a little color). The rock thats the base of the pillar on the left is close to 15lbs, and the roof of the cave on far right is 15inches by 8inches by about 6 in tall at the thickest part.

Sorry bout the crappy pictures, sand was newly added, used old film, and forgot to turn flash off and put tank lights on, plus no background so depth perception is shot.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:26 AM
Lost in Space

I got mine in week before last...I soaked it in a 50% white vinegar solution for a day and used a new, clean, stiff plastic bristle brush and it cleaned up great!!! I will try and get pics next week as I am setting the tank up this weekend.

And the more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I'd figured out
I have to learn again
Old 12/14/2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

I think I will try the vinegar idea unless anyone else wants to weigh in on the idea.
Old 12/14/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

i like the vinegar idea too, I think I will try that when I get some of these rocks
Old 12/14/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kannin
I think I will try the vinegar idea unless anyone else wants to weigh in on the idea.
Another safe method is hyposalinity.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

I am trying to speed up the process. I think that the vinegar could bring the cooking time from 3 weeks to 3 days.
Old 12/14/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

You can't beat Marco Rocks! Once it setlles in and gets covered in coraline the stuff is the BEST
Old 12/18/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

I've got a third of it in the solution... 10 gallons of RODI and 1 gallon of vinegar with 2 MJ400's for circulation. I'm thinking I'll leave it 'til Thursday night. That's 2 and a half days. Then rinse it in new RODI. Let it dry and see how it smells.

Old 12/18/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kannin
So... you want everyone to boycott Marco who has gotten rave reviews in this thread and others? Because he stopped "conversing" with you?

Hmmm!
He also never responded to my emails luckily we have forums and I was able to get them answered here but he shouldn't rely on people to figure things out 3rd party when presented with questions.