Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 12:57 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
I spoke with the guy from TM at MACNA. The TMPro was made for the European market where they run calcium reactors which tend to raise alk (not sure why I never hear US users complaining about high alk). So it's purposely low in ALK. With the decrease in ALK they were able to change around some of the other chemistry a little. But even the TM rep said if you don't run a reactor, there is no reason to use the TMPro --- there is no material difference besides the Alk.
i have heard this as well
Old 11/26/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

I think its the schuran type media. The larger stuff. I just started using it and my alk was off the charts while calcium was right in line.
Old 11/26/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Which would everyone say is better: The Tropic Marine Pro Reef or the Seachem Reef Salt. Obviously the money difference would play a factor, but from a standpoint on ingredients and parameters which does everyone prefer?
Old 11/26/2007, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

TM pro also has very low mag levels. I used to use it and it was typically around 1100. I just switched to red sea coral pro. We'll see how that goes . I did have alot of hair algae when using TMPro and have read it does have some PO4. I don't know if that was the cause or not, but now that I'm running RedSea Coral Pro and running a phoshate reactor things are definitely turning around.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:04 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by pbukow
Which would everyone say is better: The Tropic Marine Pro Reef or the Seachem Reef Salt. Obviously the money difference would play a factor, but from a standpoint on ingredients and parameters which does everyone prefer?

I actually found Seachem Reef to be right on as far as Alk and Ca are concerned.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:04 PM
saltwater in my veins

The TM's need supplementation in multiple areas to match levels in most reef tanks.

Other than some very subjective opinions such as "it makes my tank look awesome", which many say about other brands as well, it seems that you actually get less for paying more.

I find as many or sometimes even more "it makes my tank and corals glow" and "it mixes perfect" comments for many cheaper brands as there are for TM.

As stated above, some TM mixes are perfect for reactor setups, so that may be a real reason for many tanks....

I think some may be denial about how price points and the idea of a "premium product" can effect decisions, especially in a hobby like this. And the whole "you get what you pay for is not always true, sometimes it is as simple as supply and demand. JMO

Last edited by HBtank; 11/26/2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

I started my ref using Reef Crystals with great sucess, all of my LPS and SPS were doing fantastic. Then my LFS started selling TM Pro, so always hearing how great it was I switched. I started noticing low Alk and Ca levels and started having serious issues with stability. Since my tank is so small of water volume I can't get a Ca Rx set on it. So I went back to Reef Crystals again with sucess and without the fluctuation. If you have a functioning Ca Rx to keep the Alk elevated (9.6-12dKh) go for it, it is a wonderful product. If not Reef Crystals does great as well for the for those without a Rx or the funds to justify it. My tank actually looked its best before I started switching salt brands and concentrating on weekly 10% water changes. Thats just my two cents....