Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 01:19 AM
Team RC Member

BTW Doc.

Congrats on winning the Big Ten title. You've got quite a team this year.

My Fighting Illini just had their number.
Old 11/18/2007, 01:25 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Billy, I would not question it / say, as Boron is can be used up pretty fast in a reef tank if it is not sup'd. And there are a few other guys also with very low B. It also may be the salt used.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 11/18/2007, 01:43 AM
Team RC Member

Yes but aren't those other guys going by AWT results ?

Are we are sure they are testing for boron properly ?

Randy talks like there should be an average of 4.4 ppm boron

Something is amiss me thinks.
Old 11/18/2007, 10:51 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1

Are we are sure they are testing for boron properly ?

Randy talks like there should be an average of 4.4 ppm boron

Something is amiss me thinks.
Mine as off the charts low .04, and I confirmed it with the Salifert kit. I dosed some Borax and have it back to near normal numbers. My pH has risen up .3 points on average (a pH drop is a low boron symptom). I believe their test is probably a good indicator, however if it's _near_ normal levels I personally wouldn't mess with it.

I was using 100% Kent, and switched to a 60% Tropic Marin Pro / 40% Kent mix. The pH on Kent's salt on a fresh mix is a little too low to get an accurate Boron reading. Salifert claims that it needs from 8.0-8.5 I believe it was to get a reading, but with 8.1 (fresh Kent mix) it won't test because it's too low.
Old 11/18/2007, 11:37 AM
Team RC Member

I would be curious to know what the boron level tests at in a freshly mixed batch of saltwater.
Old 11/18/2007, 12:55 PM

Some have of normal levels and some have low levels from AWT. Some salt mixes are low in B. *If you go by past salt assay they are all over the place from high to low depending on brand.

[b]Randy talks like there should be an average of 4.4 ppm boron[b]

Yes should be but does not me is. Randy only tested IO.

I would be curious to know what the boron level tests at in a freshly mixed batch of saltwater.

Some have sent in fresh seawater. Most are getting normal levels. Some have had B to ~ 1 ppm and some salt brand freshly mixed can be and are at ~1 ppm or less.

I question allot of their tests to include B. But some tanks are going to have low B just like some salt mixes may be low B. Even if a fresh salt mix tests normal it does not mean the tank is normal. So, I'm not surprised that B is all over the place on these tests. Few sup with B. Dr is using Oceanic IIRC, which in past test has shown to be ~ 1 ppm B and NSW is ~4.5 ppm.

In short I think AWT has raced off so to speak to quickly to start this business. I have even given them RC links to the questions and wonder why they are not here with answers.

They should know we can make them or break them What also bother me is they do not have or give a phone number. And they have never called me and I asked them to. I guess they seem to think we are not good enough to talk to I told them flat we are not a bunch of dummies and we know allot more than they think we know I also gave the a link to Randy's Reef Chemistry Articles to prove a point.
Old 11/18/2007, 02:45 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBegalke
So, should I correct the boron or not?
So I guess to answer the Doc's question, the answer would be, not to worry unless you are having pH issues.

I suspect, as Randy says, Boron isn't really important to test for in the first place.

From his article

"In general, boron is not an important element to control in aquaria."

Old 11/18/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
[B]

They should know we can make them or break them What also bother me is they do not have or give a phone number. And they have never called me and I asked them to. I guess they seem to think we are not good enough to talk to I told them flat we are not a bunch of dummies and we know allot more than they think we know I also gave the a link to Randy's Reef Chemistry Articles to prove a point.
Just call aquamedic usa, I'm pretty sure you will reach awt.

Don
Old 11/18/2007, 03:55 PM

WOW, thanks Don for that

Now that is a conflict of inrterest, as they sell a aquamedic salt.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/reef_salt.shtml

Aqaumedica

http://www.aqua-medic.com/
Aqua Medic of North America
546 S.E 8th St Unit C-16 Loveland, CO 80537
Phone: 970.461.0023 Fax: 970.461.5879
Toll Free: 877.208.2633

AWT

A division of Global Aquatic Products, Inc.
546 8th Street SE Suite C-16
Loveland CO, 80537

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 11/18/2007, 05:59 PM
OT Slaughter House

Wow...

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 11/18/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Its really not supprising that something is off. "Real" labs charge at least three times that amount for testing alone. With additional fees because its SW. Our local spectra lab gets $100+ for just a handful of test. The sample containers are additional.

Don
Old 11/18/2007, 08:51 PM
Charleston Reefer

I might end up canceling if they do not start answer the ?'s we have. I want to have some faith in these numbers they gave me.....
Old 11/18/2007, 08:53 PM

Yah, I know Don. ECN, a seawater testing lab, is ~ $45 /single parameter. AWT does not want to seem to tell me how they are measuring things or what procedures they are using on any test.

Old 11/18/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yah, I know Don. ECN, a seawater testing lab, is ~ $45 /single parameter. AWT does not want to seem to tell me how they are measuring things or what procedures they are using on any test.
I'm guessing just some higher end kits maybe a ysi meter and couple of probes or something of that sort. Would be nice if they would come over and clear the air if they intend to continue testing water.

Don
Old 11/18/2007, 11:26 PM

Nah Don, you can't test things like Mo with a probe. They say they are using spectrophotometry, auto-titration, and specialized ion specific probes, aka ISE as you mentioned

Now that you have blown the whistle, in my mind anyway, I'm thinkin more like they went out and bought a HACH Spectrophotometer, like a DR 5000 or DR 2800, sup's it with a auto titrator (maybe for Mg++, Ca++ and ALK) and some ISE's and then gave a couple of lab rat a jod And YES, thinkin that reealllly bothers me. There are lots of issues with Spectro's if you do not know what you are doing, same with ISE probes. And all of this would explain so many funny results. Not a very BRIGHT idea to have the same address

They came across, like they where already a lab and this AWT was just a side business. I no longer have any/much hope for their test procedures.......BUSTED>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 11/19/2007, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

... subscribing.

Gotta wonder if Begalke's salt analysis goes through how well "AB Reef Salt" will fair.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Nah Don, you can't test things like Mo with a probe. They say they are using spectrophotometry, auto-titration, and specialized ion specific probes, aka ISE as you mentioned

Now that you have blown the whistle, in my mind anyway, I'm thinkin more like they went out and bought a HACH Spectrophotometer, like a DR 5000 or DR 2800, sup's it with a auto titrator (maybe for Mg++, Ca++ and ALK) and some ISE's and then gave a couple of lab rat a jod And YES, thinkin that reealllly bothers me. There are lots of issues with Spectro's if you do not know what you are doing, same with ISE probes. And all of this would explain so many funny results. Not a very BRIGHT idea to have the same address

They came across, like they where already a lab and this AWT was just a side business. I no longer have any/much hope for their test procedures.......BUSTED>>>>>>>>>>>

Hopefully they will step up to the plate and show that I'm wrong. I think your giving them to much credit. This does not seem like a operation that has made that sort of capital investment. I think we both know supply and demand isnt high enough to justify that high of an investment for aquarium water alone. I could justify a sideline to a existing lab. But then I would expect an existing lab even if all they did was well water samples would know how to get accurate SW results.
Ive got some oil samples going to spectra tomorrow. I'll talk to them about an aquarium testing package if there is actually that many people wanting lab testing.

Don
Old 11/19/2007, 11:06 AM

water samples would know how to get accurate SW results.

Nope Don, not unless they are famillar with the procedures and/or have the info to do those procedures for seawater. Many make this mistake, thinking you can test seawater just like you test FW. The salt affect many tests. There is a book out on testing seawater.

Analysis of Seawater : A Guide for the Analytical and Environmental Chemist by T.R. Crompton, May 1, 2006

Methods of Seawater Analysis by Klaus Grasshoff, Nov 1983.

But by all means ask them. So far it is only ENC Labs

ENC Labs
http://www.enclabs.com/index.htm

Old 11/19/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Boomer,

She is putting together a seawater quote. I forget what term she used but wanted to know if copper should be tested below 6 PPB or 1PPB???

Don
Old 11/19/2007, 01:11 PM

Don copper in NSW is ~ .0001- .0002 ppm or .1 - .2 ppb, or tell her 2.4 nmol/kg avg = 0.1524 ppb. So, 1 ppb or lower is what we would be looking for.

Old 11/19/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Here is their quote andcontact info. According to U of W marine EPA 6010 is the test standard or method they use, although I dont claim do understand it.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dwacker/Quote.PDF
Old 11/19/2007, 04:00 PM

As long as it is a marine or seawater std they/we are fine. I do not think we need to know how much copper there is in the water as far as tests go. All seasalts are below NSW. That "Digestion" why is that there we don't need it.

It looks like I missed another AWT error

Copper (Cu++)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.030 mg/L

Ah nope, as I said more like .0002 NSW. Looks like they are off a decimal again like they were with Mo

We could take that quote Don and add Bromide and OTO/TRO but I don t' think we will find many bitting on ~$8.00 / parameter. But I must say that is lots cheaper than ENC.

Old 11/22/2007, 11:45 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Billybeau: It was a surprise this year, we were picked to finish 3rd, some even said 4th... But hey, three years in a row, I'll take it!
Old 11/22/2007, 11:48 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Thought you might be interested in this....

I sent in a sample of Petco "real ocean water".... Heated and circulated for 24h, I tested pH at 8.3 and sg of 1.026 by refractometer...

Ammonia (NH3-4) 0.016 Good
Nitrite (NO2) 0.007 Good
Nitrate (NO3) 0.8 Good
Phosphate (PO4) 0.04 Good
Silica (SiO2-3) 0.0 Good
Potassium (K) 315 Low
Calcium (Ca) 372 Good
Boron (B) 3.0 Good
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.2 High
Strontium (Sr) 9.2 Good
Magnesium (Mg) 1137 Good
Iodine (IŻ) 0.09 Good
Copper (Cu++) 0.02 Good
Alkalinity (meq/L) 6.42 High

Ammonia (NH3-4)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.010 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.050 mg/L
Tested: 0.016 mg/L (GOOD)

Nitrite (NO2)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.010 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.100 mg/L
Tested:
0.007 mg/L (GOOD)

Nitrate (NO3)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.050 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 25 mg/L
Tested:
0.8 mg/L (GOOD)

Phosphate (PO4)
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.250 mg/L
Tested:
0.04 mg/L (GOOD)

Silica (Sio2-3)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.040 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.500 mg/L
Tested:
0.0 mg/L (GOOD)

Potassium (K)
Natural Seawater Value: 390 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 350 to 450 mg/L
Tested:
315 mg/L (LOW)

Calcium (Ca)
Natural Seawater Value: 400 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 350 to 450 mg/L
Tested:
372 mg/L (GOOD)

Boron (B)
Natural Seawater Value: 4.6 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 3.0 – 6.0 mg/L
Tested:
3.0 mg/L (GOOD)

Molybdenum (Mo)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.01 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 0.0 to 0.12 mg/L
Tested:
0.2 mg/L (HIGH)

Strontium (Sr)
Natural Seawater Value: 8.1 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 5.0 to 12.0 mg/L
Tested:
9.2 mg/L (GOOD)

Magnesium (Mg)
Natural Seawater Value: 1280 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 1100 to 1400 mg/L
Tested:
1137 mg/L (GOOD)

Iodine (IŻ)
Natural Seawater Value: 0.060 mg/L
Acceptable Range: 0.030 to 0.090 mg/L
Tested:
0.09 mg/L (GOOD)

Copper (Cu++)
Acceptable Range: 0.000 to 0.030 mg/L
Tested:
0.02 mg/L (GOOD)

Alkalinity (meq/L)
Natural Seawater Value: 2.5 meq/L
Acceptable Range: 2.5 to 5.0 meq/L
Tested:
6.42 meq/L (HIGH)
Old 11/22/2007, 11:54 AM
PKSN

Hey guys, what do you think about this.

First awt results Silica .3 (good)
Second awt results Silica 2.7 (high)

Is that much of a jump really possible? A water change was done from the same 150 gallon mixing tank the day before each sample was sent, and the only other things added were a teaspoon and a half of borax, some K, Mag and Dow after the first test.

RR