Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2007, 06:12 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by snake33015
alot of money for a tank that drains and floods your home
hmmm
i think i will pass
its not like we live in florida or anything
our power never fails
nope it will not
Old 10/15/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

not only have I seen it, I am in one of the pictures on this thread. lol...
Old 10/16/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

That's funny...I attempted to keep the photos "people free", but I guess you recognized the part of you I showed !

About "flooding the house," technically, anything with a sump and return pump setup has that potential, so this one is no more so inclined than the majority of other marine aquarium setups out there.

This tank is definitely a thing of beauty!
Old 10/17/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

nice tank... what filtration are you using?
Old 10/17/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

I'm not sure what they're using on it, but you can see in the undertank shots a refugium w/ bio balls. There's also a filter pad on the overflow part where the water that runs off the edge of the tank goes to the sump system to collect solids.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

i believe its the ecosystem 3012, with miracle mud, plant life includes grape caulerpa and chaetomorpha. the pump is a iwaki, what size not sure, a big one i know that, the only mechanical filtration is the two pieces or coarse filter floss as a prefilter, there placed in the drains of the rim around the tank. there is also a check valve on the tank, i have seen it shut off and no problems with the sump flooding, and the check valve stops the water flow immediately.
Old 10/18/2007, 04:08 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Like some said earlier, these tanks make great conversation pieces but I don't think they are viable for long term setup especially with SPS. I have seen several with softies and there isn't much water movement deep inside the tank and you have to have even flow on all sides in order to make sure that the flow continues evenly over the edges. I can see problems arising over time as pumps start to wear creating uneven flow, etc. Since they are also made out of acrylic you have 2 x the chance of scratching the sides.
Old 10/18/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Yep, just not practical. Nice looking no doubt, but housing a reef tank or fish tank not the best idea
Old 10/18/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Since when has a 1500 gph Iwaki 70 on a 75gal tank been considered low flow?Maybe someone should tell the montis and acros that they are not supposed to grow like weeds in there.Last month I put a bleached out large monti cap in there and not only has it colored up it also has grown about 20%.
Old 10/18/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

and about the random flow creating the water to fall over the walls. if the tank is perfectly level the water will fall over all parts of the wall equaly no matter where the flow is unless it is straight up being blasted and the lip in a certain spot...which its not... preperties of fluids.