Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Hi Sue,
Here is something for you to look at for me,as for dosing Reef Plus then adding that seafood gumbo.
What I have observed doing this:

1. When adding the Amino to the system.Polyps seem to be closed even after adding this 2 hours later.
2. When adding the seafood Gumbo into system,there seems very little polyp extention to any of the Acro's.It anything there seems to be more closed up effect as for polyps.
3. I would thing with this food in the system,you would have polyp explosion on every acro.Like a feeding frenzy?But this doesn't seem to be the case at all?
4.Have you noticed this at all?

Yet some of the acro's are doing very well,especially color at this point in time.I don't have as many weeks into this as you do.But just trying to compare some notes with you.Or any other folks have scene the same thing take place?
Not that I'm having issues with this at all.I just thought it was kinda of strange?
Old 04/02/2007, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

one thing im not sure of is if the pappone and acids are meant to be direct food to the coral or food for the bateria and filter feeders who will the inturn be the food for the acros.

This is what i got from the description by SIR but then i really dont see the need for the aminos if it is really just meant for the bacteria/filter feeders.
Old 04/03/2007, 02:51 AM
Pappone Nerd

I dunno I get a crazy amount of polyp extension when I feed, especially with the LPS in my tank. But then again, I tend to have a lot of SPS polyp extension while some people hardly ever do. What kind of fish do you have in there Reefflections?
Old 04/03/2007, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Reefflections, wow, thats unusual. The reasoning behind the AA is to encourage polyp extension before the pappone is added. I get crazy polyp extension after adding the AA's. I usually do have good polyp extension most of the time but this just makes it crazy looking. After adding the pappone the polyps stay about the same then and all evening. I do tend to check them out after lights out. LOL..
Old 04/03/2007, 12:20 PM
I LIVE IN A PINEAPPLE....

Mine get extra hairy after adding the AA also and stay that way for the remainder of the night. The SPS that have the best PE are growing at a faster rate than those that have worse PE.I add my AA every day at the same time ...8:30... to try and train the corals so to speak. Then I add the pappone at 10:00. Lights go out at 9:00.
GEO 6x18 Calcium Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor
Aquactinics 2x250 12k Reeflux w/ 216 watts Blue+ T5's
210 lbs. Gulf-Keys-Fiji LR
50 lbs. LS
Old 04/03/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Or get the amino acid supplements at your local grocery/fitness store. Corals are now body-builders! Check the label and see if you can get the pure ones without gelatin and silica binders. They tend to fuel nuisance stuff if I recall.

I'm gonna see if I can get Chuck Norris to market a Total Gym for our corals!
Old 04/03/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Thats true Mogrash, no yeast, no fructose, veg. base is what to look for.
Old 04/03/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all for the update as for P.extension here.This is strange why my system is doing this?I would like like the rest of you.AA is added corals should open up big time?But now is why this is happening to me.I even shake the AA before it's added to the system,so it's a good mix,with no sediments in the bottom of the bottle.I'm kinda of lost on this one guys?I'm not over dosing on the AA either.
Old 04/03/2007, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

so it would be okay to dose the aminos on a daily bases and the pappone 2-3 times per week.
Old 04/03/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefflections
Thanks all for the update as for P.extension here.This is strange why my system is doing this?I would like like the rest of you.AA is added corals should open up big time?But now is why this is happening to me.I even shake the AA before it's added to the system,so it's a good mix,with no sediments in the bottom of the bottle.I'm kinda of lost on this one guys?I'm not over dosing on the AA either.
Ive noticed the same observations when I dosed 20 drops of elos amino acids in my tank (100 gal total). Before when I had added 10 drops, it didnt do that.

I think it may better to dose small amounts every day or 2.
Old 04/03/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

so you are using Elos OMEGA on your tank?
Old 04/03/2007, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

im going to check at the GNC next door tomorrow but im leaning towards the salifert amino or the elos if anyone has had any positive experiances with them.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

I have only used the SeaChem Reef Plus so thats the only experience I have to share. Since the very first time I dosed the AA's I got extreme polyp extension.
Old 04/04/2007, 11:08 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by antonsemrad
OK.. Whatever.....
Anton, theres a reason I'm insistent that there needs to be sugar in Pappone for you to call it Pappone.

1) Its the active ingredient, IE the one that makes a difference.

2) If we have people adding different variations of the recipe, and reporting back, then we dont have anything. If all the people using sugar are seeing improvements, and none of hte people not using it are, and everyone is calling it Pappone, then we'll get back a 50/50 on whether or not the stuff is working, when thats not really the case.

In order to have this thread actually tell us anything, there needs to be some consistency. We can't have people dosing totally different foods, and their results to the same pool of information.

Sugar is the main ingredient here that makes this different from most other foods. It balances out the phosphate, and makes it much more removable.
Old 04/04/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

When I first started using the pappone, I did not get the great polyp extension. After the first 3-4 doses it started all of a sudden and continues now. I have no firm explanation on why this happened. I use Seachem Reef Plus as my AA and I use sugar in my pappone. I tried to follow the original paramters, but the high calcium started freezing up my pumps, so I am around 450 with calcium and an Alk of 3.6 meq. This has made my tank look better than it has in a long time. Hope this helps.
Old 04/04/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

well said Rich, the only variation in my recipe is no nori. Everything else is as it's required to be. I also am only keeping ca@ 450ppm and alk@9.3dKh, mg@1350.
Old 04/04/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It balances out the phosphate, and makes it much more removable.
Rich, please ellaborate.
Thanks
Old 04/05/2007, 04:16 AM
Pappone Nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by SueT
well said Rich, the only variation in my recipe is no nori. Everything else is as it's required to be. I also am only keeping ca@ 450ppm and alk@9.3dKh, mg@1350.
yeah nori is not necessary really and is kind of messy imo. I prefer spriulina flakes since they chop up nicely.
Old 04/05/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

DarkXerox, thanks for that tip. I know that nori was such a mess when wet but the flakes sound like they'd be a lot easier to use.
Old 04/05/2007, 02:36 PM
g l a s s b o x

I dont know if I'd say sugar is the active ingredient. IMO it's the blend of seafood. The amount of sugar added is very minimal. Does it feed the bacs, of course. And this in turn helps lower no3 and po4....but the system works because it is a nutrient/food spike. The corals rapidly absorb this. Even more so because of the AA's dosed prior which elicit PE. You could do the same thing with different enzymes to get better PE...

This system addresses problems associated with "nitrogen limitation"... With the food being the limiting factor, hindering growth....when the seafood slush is added food is no longer limiting which is why you hear of the increase in growth.

Does sugar help, yes. But if you have a filtration system and a low nutrient system its addition would go unoticed.

With that said, I dose a C source daily

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 04/05/2007, 03:18 PM
I Need An Intervention!

used the zeo amino's and found that they support brown algea growth. have been using SC without this issue
Old 04/05/2007, 03:33 PM
secretary of NCPARS

does this method cause acros to brown ever from the nutrient load increase.seems like when i feed my corals they grow fast but they loose the bright colors after some time.
Old 04/05/2007, 04:22 PM
g l a s s b o x

if your corals brown out, its causing your nutrients to go up long term...up the waterchanges and and you should be good.

A big skimmer always helps

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 04/05/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I have not had a single coral loose any bit of color. I have had quite the opposite. I did enjoy good colors before beginning this feeding but over the time of using it I have had only better, increased colors. I could say the colors are stronger if that makes any sense.
Old 04/05/2007, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkXerox
yeah nori is not necessary really and is kind of messy imo. I prefer spriulina flakes since they chop up nicely.
I went to the local health food store and bought spirulina in a powder form.