Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2004, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I wouldnt go that far I have been praticing safe reefing since this thread started I am glad you have started a web page on the subject. Thanks some really need it.
Old 01/08/2004, 04:17 PM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Originally posted by nathanncnm
I dont know what the effects of taking "gulps" of saltwater could be, but it cant be too good. Are you guys starting a syphon when you get your drink of saltwater? If so, you do know that it is far easier to just put the end of your syphon hose in front of a powerhead or return and it will start the syphon without the extra salt in your diet.
Not to go off topic too much, but just for a quick giggle...

A while back I was messing around with the moter of a Wisper 5 filter (before I had a sump). Anyhow, it seemed to be running off balance a bit and I was streached out under my tank (it is a home made stand / cab built into the wall with out proper thought to getting behind it for easy maintance) anyhow, I looked up at the moter and I could see it had not been threaded properly (or came loose some how). I started twisting it just a little and SPLASH ! ! ! For some reason I was suprised by the gallon of water dropping twards my head and gasped - yep almost a gallon went right down the big tube - YUCK ! ! ! Needless to say I was soaked, but the only ill effects I had was a very upset tummy (I think just from all of the salt water)

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 01/08/2004, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MattandJenCook
I wouldnt go that far I have been praticing safe reefing since this thread started I am glad you have started a web page on the subject. Thanks some really need it.

Anyway here's where I left off. Never did address anemone stings - must've over looked it.

Safe Reefkeeping

Here's another one: My guess is sponges.
Swollen Fingers
Old 01/12/2004, 05:13 PM
Abi-Normal

you get swimmers ear when you have a large amount of wax in your ear and the water brings in the bacteria. the bacteria grows in the wax. keeping your ears clean helps alot. I used to get swimmers ear all the time too. I was on the swim team in highschool. I started useing hydrogen peroxide in my ear to dissolve the wax, and never had swimmers ear again.
Old 01/15/2004, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by laxing22
Not to go off topic too much, but just for a quick giggle...

A while back I was messing around with the moter of a Wisper 5 filter (before I had a sump). ... For some reason I was suprised by the gallon of water dropping twards my head and gasped - yep almost a gallon went right down the big tube - YUCK ! ! !
Oh, man, that is just too darn funny. I've had several incidents like this, most notably with HOB skimmers. Isn't this a great hobby?
Old 01/15/2004, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

My hands are starting to look like aligator scales from this winter combined with all the "safe hand washing" and saltwater. End winter end. Oh wait it began less than a month ago :-(. Now i can't tell if I'm paranoid and its just dry skin or i should keep an eye on it. I think its irritation from mixing with new salt and dry skin.

Deladarkstep
Old 01/16/2004, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Deladarkstep,

I have the same issue with my hands drying out. The only medical reason to worry is that if your skin splits due to dryness then you are open to receiving any bacteria (like Marinum) just like a cut.

Keep lotion on your hands when you can (Doc's recommendation) and if no lotions seem to work see your Doctor for a perscription of moisturizing lotion.
Old 01/16/2004, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

I also have incredibly dry skin on my hands, so bad that it splits frequently. For this reason, as hinted at by AquaDancer, I *always* wear gloves when doing anything in the tank.

Well, that and the idea that I could get something like Marinum. If you've seen the pictures of that, it would freak out just about anybody.
Old 01/16/2004, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

A few weeks ago, I'd gone to my doctor for my yearly checkup. He looked at my hands and stated 'It looks like you've been picking your fingers are you nervous?'

I gave him a quizzical look and examined my hands. Hmmm... they looked like they normally do... a little dry with some dried skin and cracks around my thumbs and forefingers.

Then I started laughing and told him why they were in this condition and the reason why I don't use alot cream on my hands & arms (I always rinse my hands and arms before going into the tank)!
Old 01/16/2004, 02:17 PM
Moved On

i almost died a awhile back....i put this crazy seaslug in my tank...i wanted to get a good picture of him...so i had my wife behind the camera and my hand was in the tank trying to reposition the seaslug for a better shot.....my danged wife took the photo anyway!!!
Old 01/16/2004, 02:18 PM
Moved On

here's what it did to me!! i hate doctors so i roughed it out at home
Old 01/16/2004, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Abu, I dont comlpetely understand what happened? A neurotoxin from the sea slug make you sick? please let me know you got my curious bell ringing.
Old 01/16/2004, 07:53 PM
Moved On

yes, and later i found out he was wounded at the time, which only made him that much more dangerous...not much more dangerous than a wounded sea slug.....

i was sick for days....but he's still in my tank...i'm scared now....maybe this guys not scientifically identified yet???
Old 01/17/2004, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

My, thats a well developed set of jaws on that slug. Looks a lot like Slugus modificatios to me.

Fred.
Old 01/17/2004, 03:53 AM
Moved On

I have never been stung. I wear GLOVES!!! I use tongs!!! What's wrong with you people!!!???!!!!
Old 01/17/2004, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

I wear Latex Gloves whenever reach in to grab a rock or move a snail or coral. but the water always gets in because my aquarium is 24 inches high. I've ordered the aquagloves just waiting for them. I can't wait. I think for those of us who have read the marinum and zooanthid /palythoa threads are becoming more and more carefull all the time :-)
Old 01/20/2004, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Listen, I've had first hand (literally) experience with "fish-handlers disease" and it was NO FUN. It never got as bad as the pictures above, but remained a pesky infection for about 6 months. During that time, my hands were constantly bleeding, cracking and stiff like a SUPER bad case of dry skin. Never want that again--always use gloves now.
Old 01/20/2004, 06:48 PM
Patron Saint of Conchs

I know of at least one individual (B. Robak) who had serious heart problems, likely due to contact with the toxins from zoanthids.

Nomina stultorum parietibus hoerent...
Old 01/22/2004, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

Don Jasper,
This very well needed. Please continue with it....the web site.
I am appalled that items like Zo's are available for sale with simpy no warning..... Pet shops don't sell friigin cobras do they? It makes no sense. Ever since the the thread with the guy with the dog, I have been on N ENDLESS SEARCH...tHERE REALLY NEED TO BE A SET PROTOCOL WHEN HANDLING ZOOS AS A HOBBY OR BUSINESS OR FRAGGING. eSPECIALLY FRAGGING. i MEAN i AM JUST APPALLED AT THE LACK OF ONFO OUT THERE.
Old 02/20/2004, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Worst injury I ever got from a tank was pretty bad. I got two deep pricks from a 6" Lionfish in my right middle finger. Just 2 little drops of blood, then 2 hours of pure hell. My finger turned purple and swelled so large the skin could not stretch enough to keep up with the swelling. My finger actually seemed to leak. The fire ran from the tip of my finger all the way up into my chest. It wasn't the only time I have been stung by something nasty but by far the absolute worse pain i have ever felt in my life. Now I still love lionfish and think they are truely beautiful but believe me they pack a power punch.
Old 02/21/2004, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

My worst so far (I guess two years in the hobby now) is a finger going into the mogul socket of my 400watt metal halide during bulb replacements. I learned to double check if power was cut to the ballasts. My elbow would have been about 2" lower, in the water, and I think I would have been in a tad more trouble.
A 15"+ carpet got around two of my fingers during feeding one time. That was not to bad, just weird. This actually happened twice one time got a lot more though.
Old 02/21/2004, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Just a quick medical comment about Mycobacterium marinum aka fishkeeper's infection. The organism causing the infection is related to tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis). All Mycobacteria are VERY slow growing organisms with tough cell walls. They are tough to kill because they are so slow growing. They also form granulomas which keep them away from your body's own immune system.
Most of the antibiotics we use kill bacteria by inhibiting/poisoning some part of the growth/division process. If the organisms grow fast they respond well. Slow growers take a long time to treat; they also tend to become resistent more rapidly (an average proven active tuberculosis infection is treated with no less than 3 antibiotics). Bottom line: if you get a cut from your tank than does not heal completely see your doctor (and let them know what you have been doing).

I have a Powerpoint presentation on "Marine Envenomations" if anyone is interested.

sedgro
(ER Physician)
Old 02/22/2004, 01:58 AM
Carpet Surfer

That's some good info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02/23/2004, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

My worst injury was from a tridacna clam, believe it or not. A snail fell into the clam, and I reached in to remove it when the clam closed on my hand. Net result was a severed tendon in my right index finger and surgery to repair it. According to the doc, the deep cut was caused by my own panicy attempt to extricate myself from the closed clam, rather than the clam causing the cut when it snapped shut. If I had kept my cool and coaxed the thing open, I probably would have been ok. Besides surgery, I also was hospitalized for several days for mega IV antibiotic regimine and had to do PT for several months. My finger is still not 100%. To quote George Costanza, I am the king of the iodiots.
Old 02/25/2004, 10:25 PM
taken

For anybody interested, I am trying to get together a small research project for my bio-tech class, does anybody want to point me in any directions as to something that all of us would be interested in regarding safety of corals/aquariums? Something in the biological spectrum would be best, possibly mycobacterium marinum detection in tank water? Is it possible? Palytoxin detection kit? Any leads in these directions or anything else similar would be much appreciated. Thanks!