Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2006, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

ok, i know shrimp and crabs will be effected, how about my turbo snails? those that have treated, did your snails survive?
Old 10/12/2006, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

You can try to remove the acro crabs before treating to try to save them. I do when I have gotten new colony's in. I remove the crabs and treat the corals for 6 hrs with Interceptor. Then I rinse the acro good with SW from the display, and put the crab back on it. Never lost a crab like this. So remove them first, treat wait until you have ran carbon for 6 more hrs, add the acro crabs back to the acros.

I didn't have any loses of snails.
Old 10/12/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

There are some really nice SPS reefs with redbugs. If your reef is thriving with them, then why treat for them.
Old 10/13/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

will snails survive treatements?
Old 10/13/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I am going to wait and see. I found them a week ago but must have had them for months. My tank looks good but, yes, possibly it could be even better. That said, my acrocrabs (5 of them) are some of my favorite animals. I also have so many pods that I can go several days without feeding my tank. They are great fish food.

I will not give or sell anything to anyone as long as these RB's are in my tank. I may treat in the future if any corals start showing stress.

It will take hours but I will remove one acro colony and as many of the acrocrabs I can catch. I will put them into a small 10G tank with a power head. After the display tank treatment and water changes and charcoal, I will get the acrocrabs out of the coral. Return them to the display tank corals and then treat the single colony in the 10G tank. This plan will be very time consuming but might work.

John
Old 10/13/2006, 08:51 AM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by pham411
will snails survive treatements?
Yes..... Interceptor only kills arthropods and nematodes. Snails are mollusks.

Chris
Old 10/13/2006, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blstravler
Comments like this are the reason why there will never be a normal conversatoin about keeping a tank with Red Bugs or tryig to find ways to deal with somethig that happens in nature as well.

Like I said these threads always go down hill because a few people can't have a normal debate/conversation without making foolish and pointless statements that do nothing for the advancment of the hobby.

Good Job!
[/QUOTE

Gosh my feelings are crushed now let me tell ya. I just thought the analogies used were stupid. If people want to live with them then great. I just do not think they should trade with people by dipping the frags thinking they are ok. If they tell the person they were infected but were dipped that is a different story. It is a lot of work to get rid of to just get them back because someone thought dipping them was good enough.
Old 10/13/2006, 04:29 PM
Free Thinker

I think about it like this..... If you were RB free, would you add a vial of RB's to your tank? No, no one would.

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 10/13/2006, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

I think if anyone has any pests they should tell the other person that is buying or trading from them. And I think the person that is getting the frags should treat the frags or corals themselves before putting them in their display tank. Unless you know that person very well. I take no chances, I treat everything I get in. And would advise others to do the same. No matter if you trade, buy from hobbyists or venders. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10/13/2006, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

True that. You do have to expect people will do this and the only one responsible for your own tank is you. Quarantine is key.
Old 10/13/2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

im guessing if i bomb my tank, my manderine is probably going to die of starvation. thats going to suck, i really hope benifits of nuking my tank will out way the negatives.
Old 10/13/2006, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

What I did was took all of my chaeto out and put it in a 10 gallon with a powerhead and a light. When the treatments were over i put it back in the fuge and thaqt gave the pods a jumpstart. I have a mandarin and he is doing good and has made it through 2 treatments.
Old 10/13/2006, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

I had a manderine in my tank when I did the treatments. It did kill alot of the pods. But I fed the manderine Brine shrimp until the pod population started back up. The manderine is still in there doing great!
Old 10/13/2006, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

You can catch your shrimp and acro crabs too and put them in there. You will need a good tweezers to get the crabs out but it has been done.
Old 10/13/2006, 05:35 PM
Nothing to put here

Quote:
im guessing if i bomb my tank, my manderine is probably going to die of starvation. thats going to suck, i really hope benifits of nuking my tank will out way the negatives.
Try to get yours eating out of a "mandarin diner". Get a glass bottle that only the mandarin will fit into. Mine is fat and healthy on a diet of brine, daphnia, and cyclopeeze.
Old 10/13/2006, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

cool.. thanks. i feed my tank daily with newly hatch brine, do you think that would be ok?
Old 10/13/2006, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Yeah that would work.
Old 10/13/2006, 09:08 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
I know several people that treated with mandarins and the fish didn't skip a beat. The pod population recovers quicker than you would think. Once again I'll just quote myself here:

Quote:
You also don't realize there is nothing to fear with Dustins red bug treatment until you perform your first treatment....to be followed by the 2nd and 3rd treaments of course
Chris
Old 10/13/2006, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Chris, though I am not treating again, you have nothing to fear with the treatmenst outlined by Dustin. Other then what has been outlined in this thread. My Pod population bounced back everytime and my Mandarin is still with me, had him for a long time now. Though I think he is starting to get a little old.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would turn off your phos reactor if you are running one.
Old 10/13/2006, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fishdoc11
I know several people that treated with mandarins and the fish didn't skip a beat. The pod population recovers quicker than you would think. Once again I'll just quote myself here:

Chris

haha, hey... nothing wrong with quoting yourself..
Old 10/13/2006, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

links to dustins instructions please...
Old 10/13/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

oh accordoing to erics site, he says 25mg per 10 gallons.

a 100lb dog interceptor pill is only 23mgs each. so does this mean for an 80 gall total water tank, i need about 25x8=200mg = 8 pills? that seems like overkill.......
did i misread here...
Old 10/13/2006, 10:53 PM
Catch and release

One pill for a large dog will treat 380 gallons.
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859
hth, Chris
Old 10/13/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

1 tab will treat at least 380 like fishdoc said. so you need maybe to use 1/4 a tablet. I don't think a small overdose will hurt anything but don't use 8 pills! It all depends on the size of your tank.
Old 10/13/2006, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

wow, k thats a difference, did i do the math wrong or is eric off on the dosage?

http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes...0treatment.htm