Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2007, 10:36 PM
reef obsessed

Really nice job so far. Looks great! What are you using the canister for?
Old 06/21/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Do you have water in the tank yet?
Old 07/05/2007, 03:30 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
Sory, I have not posted/updated in a very long time. I am very busy with work and geting ready for college.

I have 90 lbs. of fiji premium live rock from Dr's. Foster & Smith.com/Liveaquaria.com I was very impressed with the quality of the packaging. It arrived on my doorstep 24 hrs. after ordering. There are currently 9 damsels and 20 hermits. The sump has 3 gallons of mineral mud, a mangrove and a ball of chaeto. algea. The fish have been in the tank for about 2 weeks. It is already cycled, but I am going to keep the Damsels in for a month or two before I move the 30 gal. into the 90.

I will post pictures soon.

Thanks for the comments BP. We are going to keep working on your tank until it is even more B.A.M.F. than mine.
Old 07/08/2007, 08:20 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, here are some new pictures.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/08/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

looks good .. the hair algea will hopefully go away ur not nearly done wit hthe cycle yet. those damsels will be impossible to catch inless u plan on keeping them. all those loc lines could be hidden better too,,,, but def a nice update.

X.....................................

Click the house for my thread
Old 07/09/2007, 05:44 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

here is a vidieohttp://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=P7080560.flv

Let me know if it doesnt work.
Old 07/09/2007, 05:56 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

My phosphates are high, hence the hair algea. I am running kent phosphate remover to help get it under controll.

All of the damsels will come out one way or another. I know I am going to end up taking all of the rock out to catch them, but I am ok with that.

Also, when I get some time, I will take a couple segments of the loc line out to shorten it, but for right now I am just focusing on geting the water quality up to par so I can finally move everything from the 30 gallon over to this tank.
Old 07/09/2007, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

How is your closed loop supported or how do you have it on top of your tank? Is it secured to anything and do you get any noise from vibration on it? If you could post some pics of it. I was thinking about doing that on my 180 but dont know how i was going to do it without vibration from the pipes!
Old 07/09/2007, 08:22 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

the closed loop is inside the tank and under the center support brace. the only time it comes above the tank is when it goes over the internal overflow. it is only held up by 4 zip ties. It is wedged in there preaty tight. the zip ties were not necessary.
Old 07/09/2007, 08:35 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/09/2007, 08:38 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

The white (unpainted PVC) is the manifold or return from the pump. the black PVC is the intake to the pump
Old 07/10/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

I love people on these forums. Cant wait to come over and see the tanks again
Old 07/10/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Nice plumbing! How do you have the closed loop returns plumbed, are they spaced across the manifold? Can't quite see...
Old 07/10/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

nice pics MHannon! Love the tank, stand, light setup. Looks real good. Keep us updated.
Old 07/12/2007, 08:52 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

SHADYLADY- the loc-line returns had not been installed when I took the picture. In the four corners of the tank I used 90 degree elbows with a threaded outlet on the bottom.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then, on the sections of straight pipe, I installed these guys (I dont know how to describe these nor do I know what they are called. All I know is that I found them while I was stumbling around homedepot looking for something else.)
[IMG][/IMG]

The threaded loc-line connectors screw into these threaded T's, and then the flexible hose and nozzles snap on.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07/13/2007, 04:38 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to get about 100 hermits and 50 snails from liveaquaria.com they seem to be the least expensive. If you know of a better place, please let me know.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Well I know you have blue leg hermits in your tank now. At liveaquaria.com they are $1.29. They're only $0.49 at That fish place and you get discounts for bulk. The price drops at like 25, 50, 75, and 100 hermits.
Old 12/03/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Dude. Please. Pictures. Its been months. Lets see em!
Old 12/03/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Nice work !!
Old 12/03/2007, 08:51 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I know. I'm sorry guys. I'm still up here at school in Frostburg. I don't have any recent pictures on my camera, so the next time I am home, I will take some pics. I will definitely be home for winter vacation (2 more weeks). The tank looks completely different and I will definitely post some updates soon. And i'm glad to say that my mom has been doing a great job maintaining the tank while i'm away at school.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:47 PM
Premium Member

What did you paint the pvc with?
Old 12/03/2007, 11:03 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

The PVC is painted with Krylon Fusion spray paint. After about 6 months of use, it is starting to chip off pretty bad. Everyone else who uses it hasn't had problems, maybe because I didn't clean the PVC? I don't know. I guess just clean it with alcohol first.
Old 12/04/2007, 01:09 AM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, I probably should be studying for finals right now........... but its mega-snowing and I probably wont have class tomorrow so....... I guess I have some time. I found a few new-ish pictures that I haven't posted yet, so here are some quick pics until I can get some good ones over winter break. No good full tank shots, but I promise I will get some.

Yellow Gorgonian

Red Gorgonian

Red Gorgonian (Actinics)

Frogspawn

Sebae Clowns and anemone W/ yellow tang (Actinics)

Hippo hiding
Old 12/04/2007, 02:06 AM
Premium Member

wow! I'm so jealous that you can get these nice corals from your LFS. In Hawaii you can't import or take coral from the water. My tank looks pretty bare with just some live rock. The only anenome I can grow are aiptasia. *bleh*
Old 12/04/2007, 03:30 AM
Registered Member

ah!!! mike you got some great shots of your tank!!!
i especially love the nightshot of the red gorgonian...it's amazing when it's all open. so pretty!!!!
i really can't wait till i get mine set up!
btw...your frogspawn is amazing...
*hugs*
your tank is awesome kiddo!