Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Wow Dr. Joshi, your tank is really coming along and looking fantastic!!! I need keeping the big tank bug at bay, but all that swimming room makes for an incredible reef setting. Have you any desire for trying a Goatfish? With my old mac pismo and hughesnet, I must have had at least 1/2 hour of my life spent this weekend uploading your 58 page thread (time well spent as most was only lost sleep). I have a question unrelated to your big tank; you said your rock curing/light testing tank was originally a top view reef set up. I would like doing a top veiw display and I am curious how that tank worked out for you?
Old 08/07/2007, 11:05 AM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
Beautiful Joculator Angels Sanjay and Copps!

I thought I had read they were "off limits to collecting as of recently. Is this not the case?

Any sign of them nipping at anything Sanjay?

Nick
Hey Nick, you may be thinking of the jocs close relative Centropyge hotumatua at Easter Island... Centropyge joculator is collected in the Cocos-Keeling Islands off the Western Coast of Australia in the Indian Ocean. The fishery has just one licensed collector and is well regulated by the Australian government. I'm going to start a thread on them in the reef fishes forum as I've helped Blue Ribbon Koi bring in many of them to go to my angelfish nerd buddies Anyway, here's a shot of the trio I have, much smaller than Sanjay's, with the smallest just under an inch and the largest at about 1 1/4"... It doesn't matter what species it is, seeing angels this size is just too cool!

Copps

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/07/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for your info John.
Do you know if RCT Hawaii has plans to breed this angel as well as the many others they've bred in the past?

Sorry for derailing the thread Sanjay.

Nick
Old 08/07/2007, 01:13 PM
angelfish nut!

After spending the weekend with Sanjay, I think he'd rather talk about angelfish than lighting, so I don't think derailing is an issue...

Nick, Frank worked with this angel a few years back and had some troubles raising the larvae and never succeeded. Frank and I spoke over the weekend and his "expansion" is in progress, however it will still be a while before he has fish available. I don't believe he'll be doing jocs, but these are available wild collected anyway. Rest assured he will have many cool rare angels never bred before, and of course some of his other favorites he's done in the past. If you are into rare angels, I'll be speaking at IMAC (along with Sanjay!) next year on the subject. I've given talks before on this and thanks to the recommendation of Sanjay I'll be traveling to Chicago! Also, for those attending MACNA this year Julian Sprung's company will be releasing an exciting new angelfish book (a translated version of Kiyoshi Endoh's "Angelfishes of the World" with some new additions) which will have a shot of my resplendens/fisheri pair in it I've seen this book in Japanese and while I have no idea what it said the photos are amazing!

Anyway Sanjay, get some more shots Mr. SLR!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 08/08/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

I guess its not easy being the new kid on the block. Here is the bigger one after a few bouts with the other fish, and a few frayed fins. Its got to be tough when even the starry blenny chases you.

They seem to have finally settled in and are more comfortable with the surroundings. Not afraid to dart out and grab food, and an occassional open water cruise.

sanjay.
Old 08/09/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

hey sanjay,

the tanks looks amazing! ive been follwing the thread since i left for florida. Hows the blonde naso doing? i see you added alot of nice fish in there along with ALOT of corals as well. hope everything is going well..
Old 08/09/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psusocr
hey sanjay,

the tanks looks amazing! ive been follwing the thread since i left for florida. Hows the blonde naso doing? i see you added alot of nice fish in there along with ALOT of corals as well. hope everything is going well..
Good to hear from you. Your Naso is doing great in my tank. Getting fatter

sanjay.
Old 08/09/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

excellent news, he was always a pig! ill probably be coming back to the area within a year or so to start a nice large SPS tank...So hopefully you look forward to me bothering you for some lighting advice.. hope all is well!
Old 08/14/2007, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Over the last few weeks one of my bipartus wrasses has been transforming into a male. Not sure if he has reached his final coloration and pattern yet, but here is what he looks like now in his display pose.

this is what the other one (still female or transitional male ?) looks like. I got htem both as juviniles about the same size.

sanjay.
Old 08/14/2007, 09:50 PM
Parrot head

Very pretty!
Old 08/14/2007, 09:53 PM

freakin' beautiful Sanjay. Wow!
Old 08/14/2007, 11:24 PM
g0t fIsH

fish transformer, pretty cool and insane. how big is he?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/14/2007, 11:24 PM
g0t fIsH

(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/15/2007, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

I lost my male from my pair, I will have to watch and see if the female does the same thing. Very interesting!
Old 08/16/2007, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2

The fish is about 2-2.5". Not a very big fish, the male is bigger than the female.

sanjay.
Old 08/16/2007, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Here is a picture of the radiant wrasse's face.

sanjay.
Old 08/16/2007, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Nice closeup...
Old 08/16/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Sanay. I've been following your thread for awhile. Very nice. The wrasses are beautiful. Great close up.

I've spilled a drop or two of water in my day.

(click red house for my build thread)
Old 08/16/2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

i considered myself pretty good at macro shots,, but macros of a swimming fish such as a wrasse with that clarity is unbeleivable..

great shot , guess i better keep practicing
Old 08/16/2007, 08:16 AM

what you don't see is the stick! j/k
Old 08/16/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

That radiant wrasse is amazing. I can't wait to have a large enough tank to keep a trio of them. They have to be one of my favorite fish.

BTW, I'm volunteering for the HUB tank again this semester. I'm pretty excited.
Old 08/16/2007, 08:11 PM
Premium Member

Sanjay that is one of the nicest pictures I have seen of a wrasse..great shot.
MK
Old 08/16/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Hey Sanjay, everything is looking great! How have your bali pieces done in terms of growth? Thanks!
Old 08/18/2007, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

My luck with the Bali peices has not been great. The first set I got, 3 of the 5 had bad infestations with AEFW and I ended up throwing them out, of the remaining 2 one died in a few months and the one remaining one is doing fine.

Recently (2 weeks ago) I added 3 more Bali cultured ones - so far they are doing OK but too early to tell.

I have noticed that the 'maricultured' corals take a longer time to adapt and grow. The ones aquacultued in artificial lighting seem to take off and grow fast right away. At least that is what my experience has been. would like to hear if other's have had similar experiences.

sanjay.
Old 08/18/2007, 11:06 PM

I definitely agree with this in my experience. I also find that maricultured corals are much more likely to come in with pests like acro eating crabs and AEFW. Not sure why that is, but I have found that to be the case much more so than with wild or aqua-cultured specimens.