Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What hard to find angel do you have
Bandit Angel 3 2.54%
Golden Pygmy Angel 3 2.54%
Colins Angel 6 5.08%
Hotumatuas Angel 0 0%
Interuptus Angel 9 7.63%
Joculator Angel 2 1.69%
Resplendent Angel 8 6.78%
Venustus Angel 3 2.54%
Blueline Angel 3 2.54%
Chrysurus Angel 5 4.24%
Conspicillatus Angel 9 7.63%
Multicolor Angel 7 5.93%
Peppermint Angel 49 41.53%
Kingi Angel 11 9.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04/17/2007, 02:03 PM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Once again, this transaction was in Atlanta, not in colorado. This gentleman is a true rare fish collector. Money is no object to this man's obsession with the rarest fish. I am sure that there are some people on this board who deal with him from time to time. In addition to the personatus pair, he has also brought in the sunrise bodianus, wrought iron bflys, clarion passer hybrid and a pair of clipperton angels to boot.
Old 04/17/2007, 02:07 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I have contacted several HI collectors and they have all told me the same thing, none of these fish have made it into the trade for several years. I am not sure if this meant the North American trade because I have seen two different pairs in Japanese stores in the last 3 years. I didn't get a lot of info on these fish but I know that one of the pairs was recently collected. I believe the other pair came out of someone's tank but they had bought it from the same store a year prior.
Old 04/17/2007, 02:27 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Quote:
Originally posted by coralite
Once again, this transaction was in Atlanta, not in colorado. This gentleman is a true rare fish collector. Money is no object to this man's obsession with the rarest fish. I am sure that there are some people on this board who deal with him from time to time. In addition to the personatus pair, he has also brought in the sunrise bodianus, wrought iron bflys, clarion passer hybrid and a pair of clipperton angels to boot.
I believe I have dealt with this person. Does he also sell rare fish?

Not to be nit picky but the only fish that you noted on your list that compares in rarity to Personatus are Clippertons. The rest of those fish can be obtained without having to throw money around to get the right people's attention. I think there are three different online vendors offering Wrought Irons right now for less than a grand. Clarions can be a little more tricky but again they can be had for about 1/10 of the cost of a pair of Personatus.
Old 04/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

He listed clarion/passer hybrids, not just clarions.
Old 04/17/2007, 02:44 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

I know. I meant to type Clarion/passer.
Old 04/17/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

I thought Clarion/passer hybrids were going for big bucks and were uncommon?
Old 04/17/2007, 03:05 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

Define big bucks?
The couple of Personatus pairs that I have seen were going for $12,000? The Clarion/Passers were going for about $3,000. Obviously not 1/10 but still a huge difference. I can also go to Japan or Hong Kong certain times of the year and find Passer/Clarion hybrids.
Old 04/17/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

There was a thread stating that the last clarion/passer hybrid went for $7,500.
Old 04/17/2007, 10:40 PM
Anti "So called Expert"

The $3000 price was how much I saw them for in Hong Kong last year around March. Maybe they have gone up since then.
Old 04/20/2007, 09:28 PM
Free Digital Coral Guide

The fish I listed had all been obtained by 2001. Back then, Many fish were much less available than they are now so you can imagine how much more some of them cost. The quality of clarion passer hybrids varies with individual fish. Just like townsend angels, various lemonpeel hybrids and other large angel hybrids, the appearance of the hybrid offspring can vary depending the sex of the parent species. I was fortunate enough to watch his hybrid grow up from juvenile to sub adulthood. It was fascinating to see which species' colors would dominate the overall appearance of the fish as it grew.
Old 04/21/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

the personnatus in Japan were retreads !! None has been collected since 2001
Old 05/29/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

We just received another of the rarest angelfish in the world, at present! Add this to our C. nahackyi, C. interrupta, C, colini, Holanthias fuscipinnis, Chaetodon smithi, Prognathodes basebi, blue Potter's, masked angelfish and the only C. fisheri X C. potteri hybrid every found, and the Waikiki Aquarium is THE place to be for rare marine fish lovers!

Aloha!

J. Charles Delbeek
Old 05/29/2007, 11:54 PM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Wow that is awesome! looks like a miniature ballina angel in some ways. Thanks for sharing, dont hesitate to post more pics of this and the other fish you mentioned.
Old 05/30/2007, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Nice Abei Charles! Look's kinda like a raccoon. I think saying that the Waikiki Aquarium is the place to be is putting it mildly.

I wonder how many fish the Waikiki Aquarium has that the only ones on display in the world.
Old 05/30/2007, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
hanks for sharing, dont hesitate to post more pics of this and the other fish you mentioned.
Search this thread for more, also take a look at:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/12/aafeature

Aloha!
JCD
Old 05/30/2007, 11:26 AM
Free Digital Coral Guide

Hey Charles,
I remember that AA article, thanks for writing that up btw. I just thought you might have some more recent pics. I am guessing that Prognathodes basebi is the Prognathodes sp. you wrote about? Also, is the genus of the clipperton angel Pomacanthus or Holocanthus?
Old 05/30/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

You're right! Should be Holacanthus! I'll ask Terry to change it.

Aloha!
JCD
Old 05/30/2007, 05:09 PM
Living by His Grace alone

Hey

I remember a while back a guy name Delbeek who wrote articles in FAMA Mag, are you the same guy?
comes wisdom through the awful grace of God" Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05/30/2007, 05:10 PM

Beautiful fish by the way

edwin
Old 05/30/2007, 05:19 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by revclyburn
Hey

I remember a while back a guy name Delbeek who wrote articles in FAMA Mag, are you the same guy?
And he's literally written the book series on Reef Aquariums... I don't care for him too much though... Just kidding... this guy is as down to Earth as anyone and a true diehard hobbyist like many of us when it comes down to it!

Anyway Charles... good work! Now get cracking on getting some boylei already... I had dinner with Julian a couple of months back and heard his story of how he was there in Hawaii when Rich returned with the first peppermints and narcosis back in the late 80s... all in the same tank in his apartment in Honolulu! What a site that must have been! Anyway... what's the holdup!?

Keep up the good work my friend... and see you in the fall!

John

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 05/30/2007, 05:49 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by JCDelbeek
and the only C. fisheri X C. potteri hybrid ever found
Also since this thread has been bumped we need to all congratulate RC's own William Crook (pactrop) for discovering this fish! William caught this in March and despite being offered mucho dinero for it he donated it to the Waikiki Aquarium. This could not have happened to a better guy... I spoke to him right after he got it and he was stoked! An amazing find considering that these are the two most common angelfish species in Hawaii and they've never been known to hybridize... also interesting in that they are not that closely related as far as Centropyge go...

Congrats Bill! When does the article come out? Anyway, here's a blown up shot for everyone... could anything be rarer than ONE KNOWN SPECIMEN?!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.

Last edited by copps; 05/30/2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05/30/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by revclyburn
Hey

That's me, nice to be remembered ... though I haven't written for them in over 15 years ... I write a monthly column in Aquarium Fish International (used to AFM) since 1993, online mags and a few books, check out Amazon.com and search my last name.

Aloha!
JCD
Old 05/31/2007, 08:32 AM

Ok

please I still have some of those issues from back them, they're collectors items, IMO. Glad to meet you sir. You definitley were a great help to me way back when I was stupid enough to get addicted to this hobby, lol. I see some Copps was talking about my favorite fish, C. Boylei, what's the skinny on that fish, any successful breeding of it yet. I'm saving my pennies to buy one, but I lost count at 5, lol

revclyburn
Old 05/31/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

I haven't heard of any coming on the market lately. I heard of a fellow in Japan (I am sure Tanaka-san knows of him) who had a pair years ago, that were spawning. No one has raised them yet. I know Frank could do it but the first key is getting them to eat, as you know!

If the C. abei is any indication, the key may be temperature.

Aloha!
JCD
Old 05/31/2007, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

What were the conditions the abei was caught at?