Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 08:59 PM
Excuse My French...

Gigs:

My two peppermints ate five apstasia in one single night, just after their arrival. No more Apstasia at all since then.

The copperband eats many things: feather dusters, some corals... not really reef safe!
Old 12/12/2007, 09:12 PM
Genuine reef addict

gigs - I'd try some peppermints first, while the aiptasia are still small. I don't think they eat them when they get too big. The copperbands (beautiful fish) are like my foxface - 8 to 9 inches at maturity and too big then for the RSM. If it was me I'd try the peppermints first. Of course nothing is a guarantee - the shrimp may not eat the aiptasia, and the copperband may not either. At least the peppermints won't outgrow the tank.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

So the fluval package came today... I haven't opened the box up though, I am still torn on keeping it or returning it. I am just not sure it will fit into the tank the right way. There isn't much room between the lid and the top of the tank where the hoses would go from the back into the tank is my concern. I would assume the hoses go where the little pop out is. That area is right next to the heater section. So the amount of space between the top of the tank and the lid is much as my finger width. If someone who has a fluval on their rsm and has the stock lighting still would chime in that would be great. If I do decide to keep it, it would only be for water movement and a place to put additives etc.

Old 12/12/2007, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

*gigs - puts in order at LFS for 2 x pepermints*

Thanks for the advise all.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gigs
hey guys I have some aiptasia starting to rear their ugly heads so have been doing a bit of research...

What do you think about this:
http://www.garf.org/copper/COPPERBAND2.html

would a Copperband Butterfly fish be ok in a RSM? any other ideas about control?

Hodge: do pepermint shrimp eat aiptasia?
I have a Copperband in my bigger tank and he is very peaceful. He doesn't bother any corals or clams but that is not a guarantee another one would as Reefmack and Laurent mentioned.
Also they get quite big and probably to big for the RSM at the end.
Mine eats the Aiptasia but only the smaller ones. He won't touch the bigger ones.
As with the Peppermint Shrimp it will be a hit or miss in eating Aiptasia.
Just read in a Reef Magazine an article about the "Klein's Butterfly" which is supposed to be very good in eating the Aiptasia also. He is a little smaller as the Copperband.
Here is a link for more details: Klein's Butterfly .

Regarding getting rid of the Aiptasia: I tried to inject the bigger specimens which were never touched by the Copperband with lemon Juice, vinegar, boiling water etc as many recommend but was never very successful with this method.
Finally I tried Joes Juice which did wonders for me. They were gone in minutes and so far never came back.

Hope this helps a little

Michael
MAXreefer

Old 12/12/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Good info MAXreefer, thanks. I have got rid of one by driving a tooth pick in after him and leaving it for a few days blocking his hole. That was about 4 days ago and he hasnt come back yet... This method wouldnt work on the bigger ones I guess. i have seen Joes Juice about and will keep it in mind if I get any big issues with them. At the moment I have only got 3 of them that I can see and one that Im not sure about.

Do you know if you squish an Aiptasia and bits of them float off in the tank, will they grow from the bits?

Your Copperban is beautiful, I can see myself getting a bigger tank when i build my house, now where are those house plans...
Old 12/12/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Gigs - good call on the shrimp, and yes aptasia is really hardy!
Old 12/12/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gigs
Good info MAXreefer, thanks. I have got rid of one by driving a tooth pick in after him and leaving it for a few days blocking his hole. That was about 4 days ago and he hasnt come back yet... This method wouldnt work on the bigger ones I guess. i have seen Joes Juice about and will keep it in mind if I get any big issues with them. At the moment I have only got 3 of them that I can see and one that Im not sure about.

Do you know if you squish an Aiptasia and bits of them float off in the tank, will they grow from the bits?

Your Copperban is beautiful, I can see myself getting a bigger tank when i build my house, now where are those house plans...
Gigs,
thanks for the compliment.
Good idea with the tooth pick. Never thought of that. Yes...Joes Juice was my last solution as I wanted first to get rid of the Aiptasia the natural way. But Joes Juice is reef safe and highly recommended by many.
YES. If there are bits left they will start growing again.

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 12/12/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Rue, Fragalot is expensive for some of his corals, but I have always heard only really good reports on his stock and his reputation. I have 'talked' with him a few times, & he's very helpful, as well as knowledgeable. I plan on ordering from him, after Christmas, and will do the same, one polyp, mostly. For some of the beauties he has, it will be fun to just watch some of them grow! I requested that he make a calendar up, as he takes absolutely top-notch photos of his stock. He's going to make one for the new year!!!
My sis-in-law has 2 hairless Sphynx cats, & I love them. They feel like velvet. She baths them, daily or every other day, as they are oily & tend to be smelly if not bathed often. It's a real good idea to start the baths when they are very, very young.

I'm really bored with snails & 2 clowns. We put off a trip to Calgary this week to shop for some livestock, so it will be after Christmas, now. You other people, please keep posting your pics ... they're just what I need to get me through.

Is anyone keeping the little green gobies? In a pair? Do you ever see them in the tank or are they very shy?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

The goby I'm inquiring about is the green clown goby? anyone have these in their tank????
Old 12/12/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Yea, most of the people at my LFS recommended that as well,as do many people on RC.

I was weary and wanted to try the natural way as well.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

No, but I have seen them, they are so cool looking!
But it doesn't look like they do a whole lot!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:04 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally posted by kmjoen230
gigs - my peppermint loved the aptasia I had!

o ok thanks Rue!
he has a lot of stuff though!
He doesn't ship to the US though huh?
Well, you'd have to ask him yourself...his name is Burc...
Old 12/12/2007, 11:07 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I have 2 green clown gobies...I don't see them very often...but it's a treat when I do...so cute!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Ok thank you Rue!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Rue, they are cute ... the green clowns. I had one in a bigger tank, but it was a shy fish, but I just loved to see him perched on the rock. I had hoped that maybe having 2 of them, they would come out more.
With limited space, I really don't want to add something that I rarely see.

Here's another question: I haven't seen my blue tuxedo urchin for 10 days!!! I check my nitrates & nitrites ... thinking he's decomposing somewhere, but my readings are 0. What the heck???

My little emerald crab is still cautious about coming out in the open, too, but I usually spot him every day, in amongst the rock.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Donna - My emerals is also EXTREMELY shy! The thing hides all day and I work late so when I get home the lights are off, so I sneak a quick peek and usually see him crawling around in stealth mode!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmjoen230
Donna - My emerals is also EXTREMELY shy! The thing hides all day and I work late so when I get home the lights are off, so I sneak a quick peek and usually see him crawling around in stealth mode!
Have you had it for very long? Mine is only about the size of a dime - the body, that is.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Yea, maybe 4 months, he doesn't eat my bubble algae either, well at least I have not seen him.
He is small, maybe a nickel size.
I don't get it, when I go to the LFS all of them are out and walking around, maybe they feel safe in numbers?!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:47 PM
Professional Obfuscator

I saw my original girl all the time...haven't seen much of my new duo...but they are a lot smaller...
Old 12/12/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Then maybe there is something to it ... when they get bigger, they come out more??? I think they are so neat, I'd love to be able to watch it more.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Cool

Y-DesygnGuy:

You will have no problem routing the hoses for your fluval through the punch out in the back. I ran two 1/2 inch hoses through the punch out in the back during my phosban reactor debacle and had no problems getting the hoses into water in the rear chamber without any hood issues.

As far as the meltdown, the bubble looks still like a likely gonner but still barely hanging on. My gramma is also still way stressed. He is comming out slightly more, but barely ate again today. All other fish are out and about behaving normally and ate with furvor. All other corals also doing very well. Hopefully the gramma will come around.

Broke down today and bought some more livestock to replace my losses. I purchased another bubble coral (will still try to revive the old one and hopefully trade it if comes back). I also bought a small orange/blue florida ricordia rock with two shrooms. I then bought a black sailfin blenny to replace my demised barred goby. He should deal with any algae issues in the tank, and I will just have to stir my own sand. I also got a green banded goby. Probably one fish too many, but the green barred goby looks so cool and he stays real small (under 2 inches) so I could not resist. We all know how that goes. Should all arive on Friday.

Last edited by Stuart60611; 12/13/2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:27 AM
Genuine reef addict

My 2 new emeralds are much more visible than the one I had previously. I can often find them out with the lights on, and the other day one was right up against the edge on the front tank glass. Mine are fairly large though - a bit bigger than a quarter. Rue - I think I may have a pair - one appears to have claws that are distinctly smaller than the other one. No eggs on that one though.

Stuart - the new additions sound good! I need to look at my tank again & see if I have any room left for more R. floridas - I'd really like to get a few more orange ones.

On Joe's Juice - be careful with the stuff - I think I may have mentioned that the last time I used it on a majano that was in the middle of a big colony of zoas I wiped out a large patch of the zoas. I added too much and the excess flowed unseen underneath the polyps and wiped out about 20 of them. Just put a small amount in the syringe, and watch out it doesn't fall on any neighboring corals - if it does use a turkey baster to blow it off of them. I still see a few majanos in the middle of a couple zoa colonies, but unlike what I've read they have never harmed any of the polyps that they're touching, and unless the majano has moved somewhere that I can "juice" it without affecting any neighboring corals, I just leave it alone. No sense killing the good stuff trying to kill the bad.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Red face

I did an all natural "boiling hot water" in a syringe on a majano and it worked after two attempts. I read Lemon juice works too!!

Y-DesygnGuy,
The fluval comes with real nice 180 deg hose clip/brackets for attaching/running the hoses up and in the tank. They don't take up much room and will keep things tidy.

Donnabrenda,

I think I figured out why you can't see some peoples pics. I accidentally blocked myself from seeing the pic of the heliofungia yesterday.
Try this: (I'm sure you said you have Firefox. Can't remember your name but remember your browser)

Open home page Click on
"tools"
"options"
"contents"
click on "exceptions" tab beside "Load Images Automatically" (check box should be marked already)
If I'm correct, you should see my pic location address listed (firemansmith/photoshop) .
Just have to select and remove from the exceptions list.
Old 12/13/2007, 12:39 PM
Genuine reef addict

Here's an interesting site you reefers may be able to use to send some holiday cheer to fellow reefers, friends & family. Up to 4 pics/characters can be added:

http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1361162819