Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 03:33 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by dobber99
Should I overdrive based on the second picture or still use normal output?
\\

I wouldn't overdrive.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JediReefer
Optimal 4 bulb config? Right now I just have 2x10k 2xActinic

I have a 48" retro with individual reflectors and an IC660.
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Old 12/17/2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevedola
grim thinking about switching out my bulbs in my tx5. 1,3,5 lamps are overdriven. 2,4, are NO. I have 2 blue+, 1 Ge3000,1 superactinic, and my aqua sun blew last week. So figured Id buy a few new bulbs to switch around. What do you suggest trying? I like the blue look but I dont want 20k maybe more like 15k . any ideas?

Thanks
Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue

Maybe add a second cooling fan.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PCIALF
Yes that is my 120 Thanks.

Is there a preference between the 8 light ATI and modding my light?

One reason I was considering this is getting rid of the heat and expensive bulbs

Thanks
I personally would try the mod if you can fit 4 T5's in there.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by siwelk
nice to see you promoting the nova Grim
It's better to drive a Yugo than walk.
Old 12/17/2007, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

hey all you T5 people...im new to T5s and i need to supplement three 10K XM 250W to drown out the yellow and add a hint of blue...this is over a 6 foot tank...any suggestions? 2x80w? 4x80w?

thanks
Old 12/17/2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fejus
Are the wattages the same for HO and regular T5 lights ...

IE
Is a 24W HO T5 Fixture considered the same wattage as a normal T5 24W bulb in the formula for Watts per Gallon?

I ask this because I have a 24Watt HO fixture and a Dual 14 Watt regular T5 Fixture for my 36Gallon Bowfront tank and I am feeling that I need more light ... So I was wondering if I should jump to one of the newer quad HO fixtures from Current. and keep the 14W fixture just for actinics while putting daylight bulbs in the quad fixture

Thanks!

Paul
14 watt lamps are NO and 24 watt lamps are HO.

I would probably just get the new fixture if you think wou want more light.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kpc01
Is there a cross reference somewhere to what we call some bulbs to what they are called by the mfgr. For instance, a super actnic? or are all of these bulbs made by a certain manufacturer? I'm trying to replace 4x39 bulbs in a tek setup and am having trouble figuring out what to order....any tips or help with this?

edit: one question I have: Is the super blue actinic the same as the super actinic?
Sorry I'm still new with the T5 stuff.
The names are specific to individual brands.
ATI and Giesemann both use Aquablue to designate a 60/40 daylight actinic lamp that are very similar. Other than that the they are all diffenent for the most part.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooli
hey all you T5 people...im new to T5s and i need to supplement three 10K XM 250W to drown out the yellow and add a hint of blue...this is over a 6 foot tank...any suggestions? 2x80w? 4x80w?

thanks
do 4 80 watt lamps. I'd do this

Front
Blue Plus
ATI Actinic
Halide
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Old 12/17/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The names are specific to individual brands.
ATI and Giesemann both use Aquablue to designate a 60/40 daylight actinic lamp that are very similar. Other than that the they are all diffenent for the most part.
thanks for the info,

so on my tek 4x39
I have so far

blue plus
aquasun
blue plus

I am ordering from premium aquatics, there is a UV super blue actnic, is this a good choice for the fourth bulb or is there something else you would recommend.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

ok..i gotta ask...why like this?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
do 4 80 watt lamps. I'd do this

Front
Blue Plus
ATI Actinic
Halide
Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Old 12/17/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

so Grim will a 150 HQI w/4 lamp t-5 fixture be equivelant to a 6 Lamp ATI fixture? Thanks Brian

BTW I called reefgeek today and Craig said they are indeed on backorder for at least two months......?

Last edited by cashman95; 12/17/2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Grim, I just went looking for a Nova fixture that has HQI/T-5 combo and could not find one? Are you by any chance talking about the current OUTER ORBIT series?

What do you think about the Giesmann Infinity fixture (HQI w/4T-5's). Is it any better than the Nova your talking about?

Thanks Again
Brian
Old 12/17/2007, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Retrofit Complete. Thanks Grim!

One additional question:

I have switched from 6 bulb 630 watts vho (2 uvl super actinics 4 uvl aquasun's) to (4x54 watt t-5's plus 2 vho super actinics/GE 6500K, Blue +, Aquablue, Aquasun, 2 uvl vho super actinics.

I cannot raise the lights to acclimate the tank to this new lighting, so my only option is to shorten the photo period. I was running full spectrum vho's for 9 1/2 hrs per day. How long should I run full spectrum with the new lighting to avoid light shock to any corals?

TIA
Old 12/17/2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kpc01
thanks for the info,

so on my tek 4x39
I have so far

blue plus
aquasun
blue plus

I am ordering from premium aquatics, there is a UV super blue actnic, is this a good choice for the fourth bulb or is there something else you would recommend.
Yeah UVL actinic is good.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooli
ok..i gotta ask...why like this?
Why not?

Youwant to wash out the yellow. This will ad blue and bump the actinic a bit. 10K halides have quite a bit of actinic spectrum to begin with.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cashman95
so Grim will a 150 HQI w/4 lamp t-5 fixture be equivelant to a 6 Lamp ATI fixture? Thanks Brian

BTW I called reefgeek today and Craig said they are indeed on backorder for at least two months......?
Should be right there if the halide reflectors are decent and you run 10K halide lamps. .
Old 12/17/2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Grim, I just went looking for a Nova fixture that has HQI/T-5 combo and could not find one? Are you by any chance talking about the current OUTER ORBIT series?

What do you think about the Giesmann Infinity fixture (HQI w/4T-5's). Is it any better than the Nova your talking about?

Thanks Again
Brian
Marine Depot sells both the Novas and Giesemanns. Giesemanns are spendy but nice.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Retrofit Complete. Thanks Grim!

One additional question:

I have switched from 6 bulb 630 watts vho (2 uvl super actinics 4 uvl aquasun's) to (4x54 watt t-5's plus 2 vho super actinics/GE 6500K, Blue +, Aquablue, Aquasun, 2 uvl vho super actinics.

I cannot raise the lights to acclimate the tank to this new lighting, so my only option is to shorten the photo period. I was running full spectrum vho's for 9 1/2 hrs per day. How long should I run full spectrum with the new lighting to avoid light shock to any corals?

TIA
Plan C. 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass window screen over the tank. Pull a layer a week or so.

You could do a short period with the T5's, like 2 hours to start and run the VHO's all day.
Old 12/17/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Hey grim, I have a left over 48 flor strip light and a full atinic bulb to go with it. I was thinking adding that to my bulb configuration in between the super atinic and aqua sun to get more blue hue and add some pop out of my coral. Is there any negative affects of doing this? I dont want to swap out my aqua sun for a aqua blue. Also I can run this seperate to give a sun rise and sun set affect. Any thoughts.
Blue plus--All overdriven with ice cap 660, individual reflectors.
super atinic
aqua sun
blue plus
Old 12/17/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Grim ,I still cant find a Nova fixture that has both HQI and T-5 lamps in it...can you help me out?

Thanks Brian
Old 12/17/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

configuration of T5

How would this configuration of T5 look?

Any suggestions Grim?

Front
Blue,
Giesemann Pure Actinic plus,
Auquasun 10k,
Actinic plus

The Auquasun 10k is the only bulb I don’t have yet.

I have A 55 gallon and I would like to have a Variety of Corals LPS,Soft Coral,SPS Zoa.

Thanks
Old 12/18/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

whats the best bulbs for a 6 bulb fixture?
Old 12/18/2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speeddemonlsr
Hey grim, I have a left over 48 flor strip light and a full atinic bulb to go with it. I was thinking adding that to my bulb configuration in between the super atinic and aqua sun to get more blue hue and add some pop out of my coral. Is there any negative affects of doing this? I dont want to swap out my aqua sun for a aqua blue. Also I can run this seperate to give a sun rise and sun set affect. Any thoughts.
Blue plus--All overdriven with ice cap 660, individual reflectors.
super atinic
aqua sun
blue plus
No regative to using that at all. You will just have to play to see if there is any benefit to running it with the rest of the lights on. I would probably use it as the front lamp rather than the middle.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Grim ,I still cant find a Nova fixture that has both HQI and T-5 lamps in it...can you help me out?

Thanks Brian
Sorry, my bad. Its the outter orbit by current, not Nova
Hope the link works. Marine depot has them

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_search...ide_w__T5.html