Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

I think they got swamped and are probably backed up from the holidays. I sent my pump in right before christmas and I thought it was pretty good that I got it back right after the new year. Curious, what model skimmer is it?
FB
Old 01/07/2007, 05:20 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steveoutlaw
Well, I'm pretty disappointed with Euro-reef. I would love to tell you how great my skimmer is working but I still can't get it to work. The impeller on my pump is bad and I called ER on Dec 27. I still haven't gotten my new impeller and have been running skimmerless for 2 weeks now. I expected better service from them after everything I had heard. Maybe I should have gone with Deltec.
That stinks. I would keep calling them. They did have a batch of bad impellers when the new design first came out. What is wrong with it?
Old 01/07/2007, 05:24 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishbulb2
I completely agree with you sjm. The effect of the valve is probably quite different with different skimmers and air draws. I bet the bigger the skimmer, the bigger the effect. I don't know what to say about the 4 LPM. That's just what it gets. I sent it in for servicing to ER and it came back still only drawing 4 LPM. My guess is the website numbers shouldn't be taken as gospel. I would curious to know what other SP2 users are getting though. I also relly have no way of calibrating this Dwyer meter. I plan on using it for "relative" comparisons when i try a meshmod.
FB
Do you see a drop in airflow when you hook up the Dwyer? Does the level in your skimmer rise when it's connected?
Old 01/07/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

No, that I don't notice. But again, i'm not so surprised. As your skimmer draws so much more air, and decrease in diameter tubing or such would cause a large resistance and the skimmer would rise. For me, at 4 LPM and only 40% of the meter capacity, perhaps its just not enough of a restriction to prevent me from getting the same level of air to my skimmer.
Old 01/07/2007, 05:45 PM
Generic Member

What does ER have to say about the 4 LPM? That is like 1/2 of what it is rated at.

I'm working with them to try and determine why I measure ~ 18 LPM when the specs show 22. In my case, the Dwyer does cut the airflow down, although I dont know how much of the drop it is causing.
Old 01/07/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
What does ER have tp say about the 4 LPM? That is like 1/2 of what it is rated at.
Not much. They were very helpful over the phone and gave me lots of tips. Then they told me to send the pump in and that they would inspect it and such. They shipped it back to me promptly but didn't have any notice or mention at all about what was done to it. Because I assume it checked out fine, I'm not as worried anymore and just assume I'll make do. The more I think about, the less I know what those numbers mean. Are they actually tested on an RS100? I'd probably test it with the pump alone in shallow what with no head and report the max air draw. I doubt the RS100 and the RS80 should get the same air draw because they will have very different head pressure above them from the different skimmer sizes. Again, i'd love to hear what others are getting but I'm not making a huge deal about it either. If it ever drops from 4 LPM , then I would know something has changed and is certainly wrong.

FWIW, i'm still happy with the skimmer. I think it's a little large for my tank and that might be preventing it from skimming optimally. I think I would have prefered a recirc skimmer so I will just mod this one. I don't mind doing that. I think being able to draw directly from the overflow and have a very slow flow through rate will help me get more scum.

FB
Old 01/07/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That stinks. I would keep calling them. They did have a batch of bad impellers when the new design first came out. What is wrong with it?
The impeller makes a lot of noise (motor is really loud and then it just stopped). I called ER and spoke to them about it and they told me that they got a batch of bad impellers and that they would send me a new one. I called them back after a week and they said that it would take 5 business days to get it. As far as I'm concerned, I paid for the skimmer + they know what the problem with the skimmer is = they should have sent the impeller by at least 2nd day delivery. I tried calling them back and all I get is the answering machine. Of course I leave a message with my name, number and serial # of the skimmer and I don't hear back from them. This isn't the customer service I expected.
Old 01/07/2007, 06:35 PM
High Plains Drifter

That does suck. I agree! I know they close for the weekends, but you're right, they should have over night shipped it

Jim
Old 01/07/2007, 06:38 PM
Generic Member

Did you get a shipping confirmation/tracking info? If you dont get it by Mon/Tue, I'd start raising some Hell. Where did you buy it from? BRK?
Old 01/07/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Yep, I bought it from BRK. It was bad enough that I had to wait almost 4 weeks for it, but now this is just making it horrible.

I keep leaving messages asking them to send me a confirm/tracking number (I left a message Wed, Thurs and Fri) and I haven't heard back from them. I don't know what to think!!
Old 01/07/2007, 07:02 PM
Generic Member

I would let BRK know what is going on if you haven't already.
Old 01/07/2007, 07:16 PM
High Plains Drifter

Yeah, definetly let the vendor know if you haven't already.

As far as what to do, I'd wait until tomorrow, then call first thing in the morning and raise hell and find out whats the hold up.

All of the individuals that had this issue were delt with in a very timely manner. I'm a little confused as to why this situation hasn't been handled that quickly

Jim
Old 01/07/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to tell John as soon as he gets back tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm at ER's mercy.......it's not BRKs fault and they don't have the right impellers.

What gets me the maddest is that I've been skimmerless for 2 weeks and that is taking a toll on my corals. I would have borrowed a temp skimmer if ER would have told me it was going to take this long.
Old 01/07/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

From the e-mail I received from Chip I'm under the impression the new impeller is just being mailed b/c he stated that I should have it by the end of the week. Not wanting to wait that long I broke out the dremel and reduced the diameter of the impeller. I could see that it was hitting the side of the pump and this has reduced the noise to an acceptable level. The only problem is that I can not get the foam level high enough without water pouring out of the adjustment pipe.
Old 01/07/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Again, this is my point. If I would have paid $200 for my skimmer I would have expected to have to deal with this.

I paid more for the quality and the customer service........guess what.......I'm not getting either one.

I'm seriously thinking about returning it and getting a deltec. If they cared about their customers they would not be sending things out regular mail. Again, this is my opinion.
Old 01/07/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Sorry Fishbulb......Mine is the RS-180
Old 01/07/2007, 09:15 PM
High Plains Drifter

If you're that uspset, I think the only way you will be happy is to return the skimmer and get the deltec

I have delt with them a lot in the past (trust me), and they always have shipped out replacement parts via USPS. The only time I recieved something from them UPS was the skimmer itself 2 years ago.

Jim
Old 01/07/2007, 09:30 PM
Premium Member

Sorry your fighting that battle steveoutlaw - I just finally saved up enough money for an RS180 myself, but have been seeing more and more threads regarding loud pumps and impeller problems. It sure doesn't help when I see your and others struggles in getting your questions and problems resolved.
I'm thinking I may just hold out a little longer and save up a couple more hundred bucks for an H&S. - good luck with yours...
Old 01/07/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

just me patient it too a while for me to get my replacement impeller too, i think they are just busy during this time of year and the bad batch of impellers probably didn;t help. took about 3 weeks to get my impeller but i'm in canada.
Old 01/07/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Air valve wide open, or better yet, removed.
Be sure it has the new black NW impeller.
Be sure it has the new black NW impeller

explain plesae skimmer stilll doing not much
Old 01/07/2007, 10:39 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cidory
Be sure it has the new black NW impeller

explain plesae skimmer stilll doing not much
ER updated the pinwheel impellers recently. The new versions draw more air. The easy way to tell if you have the new one, is the old one was white, new one is black. Some of the new ones that went out were defective, which is what the above posts are about. If you bought it recently, it should have the new one, but there is also old stock on vendors shelves. I'm still experimenting with mine, but so far it seems that allowing it to draw as much air as possible gives me the best performance. Removing the air valve allows more air than wide open.
Old 01/08/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
ER updated the pinwheel impellers recently. The new versions draw more air. The easy way to tell if you have the new one, is the old one was white, new one is black. Some of the new ones that went out were defective, which is what the above posts are about. If you bought it recently, it should have the new one, but there is also old stock on vendors shelves. I'm still experimenting with mine, but so far it seems that allowing it to draw as much air as possible gives me the best performance. Removing the air valve allows more air than wide open.

gotcha thanks
Old 01/08/2007, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Jimdog - I'm upset at the customer service......not at the performance of the skimmer (when it's got all good parts). The Deltec comment was out of sheer frustration of not having a skimmer on my system for 2 weeks. Besides, who can afford a Deltec??

I have a lot of money invested in my livestock and I want to make sure that I take care of them.........hence the nervousness of running skimmerless.
Old 01/08/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Im seriously contemplating buyng a RC500 for my new fowlr. Im upgrading from a ASMG3 that i am using on a 120 gallon fowlr tank.Anyone here running a RC500 and have any advice as to why i should or should not buy this skimmer? I want the one with the 3- eheim 1262's.
Old 01/08/2007, 10:40 AM
Generic Member

RC500 is pretty big for a 120 isn't it?