Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 10:01 AM
Genuine reef addict

glalderman - OK on the Xenia. My elongata type and pom pom have both reached the top of the rock, and the elongata type has now spread horizontally - time to prune it back again soon. I noticed that the elongata type doesn't seem to get quite as tall & floppy once it can't go any higher, but it's spreading too fast. One of those bad decisions I made (once again ignoring what I'd read) that I can't undo. I also see a couple new polyps of the stuff here & there, that obviously grew from pieces lost during pruning. That's pretty cool on the yellow polyps now joining the zoas in growing on the back glass.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

I agree with the live rock rubble, but if it draws from the tank, it will get filled up with gook. I wonder if there is anyway for it to draw the water from the filter after it passes through the filtration pad?

Marty

..If you want to use it you could either just put something in it like Chemi-Pure Elite, or maybe fill it up with LR rubble...but I wouldn't use the filter media...most likely just going to add to you Nitrates...if you decide someday that you need to run a chiller it could also be tied into the chiller as the pump...just some idea's...
Old 12/12/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Well I have to say she is a great ease-dropper... She knew to get...

http://www.theaquaticdepot.com/fluva...150-gram-.html
http://www.theaquaticdepot.com/fluva...150-gram-.html
http://www.theaquaticdepot.com/fluva...75-grams-.html

She has watched me read all these forums and knew I took out the media from the RSM. So I think she was trying to be very thoughtful and got me all that other stuff with it. I would imagine if I kept it I would remove their media and pack with the things she ordered.

But will it even fit into tank? I have the stock lighting so I have the lid still on the tank and I don't see how its going to plumb in correctly.

I just feel bad returning something she put a lot of thought into and really thought she was doing something good for me.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12/12/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Crab Update!

So here is a better picture of the crab that I found yesterday in the tank. I think he clawed my yellow watchman!!! My yellow watchman used to hang out in the same cave that this crab is in and now my goby is missing part of its mouth!!!

From reading over on the invert section of the forums if the crab has sharp pointed claws thats bad and from the picture it looks like it has sharp pointed claws!!

I really don't want to tear the tank apart to get it out. So I think I am going to find some kind glass container 2" wide and about 3-4" tall and Im going to barry it in the sand and put food in it and hope the little bastard goes for the food and cant get back out due to the glass!!

Old 12/12/2007, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Fluvals are not a bad way to run carbon and such, just don't run their bioballs and clean it frequently.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:33 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - better try to get that crab out. That news didn't sound good at all. If you try the glass jar. I've read it's good to prop it up a bit against the rock so that once it goes in it can't climb out . Laying it on the sand may work if you're there to pull up the jar after he crawls in.

On your second link above - the Fluval nitrate remover - it says freshwater use only. I'm guessing it's a Zeolyte product, and they work well in freshwater only. I don't think it would be harmful - it just won't work. Zeolyte media can be recharged with salt & reused, as the salt makes it release the nitrates it has adsorbed. So, in salt water the zeolytes just won't function. I agree that you have a pretty thoughtful girlfriend! Better keep her!
Old 12/12/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy,

The reef club folks I met last weekend cringed at the mention of canister filters on SW (nitrate factory) I'm guessing if you used filter media in it and didn't clean it daily??

Tip for guys who have thoughtful spouses:
Leave model #'s, website addresses, wish lists or any other specific detail necessary to get exactly what you want. Then practice the "how did you know I wanted it" speech. lol

I need to ask again...any tips on kick starting a symbiotic relationship between my Hi Fin banded Goby and a Pistol shrimp (arriving in the next 2 hrs). I would like to at least somehow drop the shrimp near my Goby's hideout instead of "free willie" into the tank like last time. I'm considering using a modified turkey baster (small end cut off) to insert the shrimp close to the cave?? or maybe a small tupperware modified with a small door cut in it and put it on the tank bottom to let it come out when it wanted?? I'm grasping folks!!!

Hey Brenda,
Check my picture Gallery, I posted a couple pics in there.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy,

Theres a knockout in the back, you can use to run the hoses thru. There's pics on here somewhere by someone running a fluval/chiller c/w pics of the hose install.

I've also read the "standing up" glass trick works well for crabs as they can't climb back out.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I would think the canister filter would get full of gunk quickly. I am so torn on it, I guess she got it online and if I return it there is a restocking fee plus shipping fee. Who knows it was a very thoughtful idea on her part. It sure beats t-shirts and socks like I normally get
Maybe I just use it for water movement

I added a glass into the tank near the cave with the crab and put a little food in it. Now I need to keep all the rest of the food away from its cave and force him starve and crawl into the glass!

Thank you everyone for the help! I work from home and have this thread open on one of my other machines so I can check it all day... I don't obsess on things I promise!
Old 12/12/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Has any one tried a Heliofungia (long tentacled plate coral) as a host for their clown fish.
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/produ...late---Common/
Mine really seem to like my clam and was thinking of getting a substrate coral I could place where they like to hang out.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Reefmack the picture was a very sweet yuma.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Hodge, the Heliofungia have lower success rates in tanks, and could possibly take out a fish that wasn't paying attention.
Old 12/12/2007, 12:31 PM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - If I had room to put the pipes in the back, and room left in the cabinet, I'd probably run a cannister just to keep chemical media in (Carbon, Chemipure, Purigen, whatever) to be able to keep the flow in back high. The new ones are so easy to unhook & clean without making a mess. Just my thought on that.

Hodge - good luck with the pistol. I'm not sure if any of your ideas will force mother nature to comply with what you want, but I'll give you an A+ for creativity. How about supergluing the pistol to the fish? Just kidding!

I would never think of hanging out in this thread and reading & posting from work!
Old 12/12/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy-good luck with the capture of the crab!!
Old 12/12/2007, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I just want to thank everyone for their good wishes and assistance with my recent tank crash. As always, this thread has provided invaluable and timely assistance. Everyone's prompt feedback has really been appreciated.

Regards,

Stuart
Old 12/12/2007, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
Y-DesygnGuy,

Theres a knockout in the back, you can use to run the hoses thru. There's pics on here somewhere by someone running a fluval/chiller c/w pics of the hose install.

I've also read the "standing up" glass trick works well for crabs as they can't climb back out.
Let me recommend a bottle to use...Gatorade bottles are perfect. The Mouth is wide enough to not scare them off and the bottle is tall enough to prevent escape.

Gatorade bottle... 1 for 1 in a matter of hours for a peppermint shrimp

Glass Tomato/Spaghetti sauce jar... 0 for 4 for Pep Shrimps at different times.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Y-DesygnGuy, good luck with the bait trap! I'll be waiting patiently for a close-up shot of that bad guy once he is removed.

Hodge, thanks for posting pics in your gallery. Great shots, too! I don't feel so left out now & that was a really nice thing to do.
I check every now & then to see who has photos in their gallery and love to browse through.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iostream
Hodge, the Heliofungia have lower success rates in tanks, and could possibly take out a fish that wasn't paying attention.
It would probably stay retracted/irritated all of the time and just fade away.

FWIW...I have 2 clowns and 2 Elegance Corals in my 90. They each host one of the Elegence.
Old 12/12/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack

Question for those with pistol shrimp - are they really that loud and noisy when they pop their pistol? Do they do it frequently? Do they undermine your rockwork with burrows? Have they "shot" and killed off any of your critters? It doesn't sound like my wife would appreciate the loud pops coming from the tank, but I'm wondering how loud they really are?
I found this a really interesting read:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0922072104.htm
Old 12/12/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for heliofungia advice. I will just carry on with my clam hosting clowns for now.

RM, I suppose you don't ever leave work in the middle of the day to receive coral shipments either....lol (like I just did).

My shipment never arrived (hope I don't have a MbDave story) I really wanted to install my Tunze skimmer tonight (arriving with corals)

Brenda, no problem on the pics. I felt bad you couldn't see mine.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:39 PM
Genuine reef addict

lpsluver - any problems with the aggressiveness of the elegance? I think I've read that they can do a good job on neighboring corals?

Donna (or is it Brenda LOL) - great article - so were the ones on Mantis, etc. I'm still wondering though if the pistols are safe with other reef inhabitants? It's a wonder they don't stun the shrimp gobies they often live with.

Hodge - well, I have snuck out a bit early at times to pick up a coral on the way home from an LFS not far from my workplace, but I've at times taken a day of vacation if I had a large order coming from Liveaquaria. Even then I've found it's no big deal waiting a couple hours longer to deal with the critters & corals. I'd hate to take a day off and end up like mbdave, with the order showing up days later! That was pretty sad.

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/12/2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
I'm still wondering though if the pistols are safe with other reef inhabitants? It's a wonder they don't stun the shrimp gobies they often live with.
I am too!! Hopefully someone here will have some experience they can share.
Donnabrenda
Old 12/12/2007, 02:53 PM
Genuine reef addict

Donnabrenda - stop confusing me! I'm too old to deal with it

Terry McReef,or is that mackreef or reefmack? LOL
Old 12/12/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Oops, Sorry. I guess thats what you get for not having a silly forum name.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:57 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
Oops, Sorry. I guess thats what you get for not having a silly forum name.
You're killin me! ROTFLMAO!