Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reeftanks6
jc great looking tank doesnt even look that stressed good luck with him
Thanks! I'm watching him right now from the couch - he's so beautiful and is already swimming in and out of the rockwork.

I'll work on getting a FTS posted later.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chevegan
So once again grats! I prefer browns to blues any day of the week. Blues are just too aggressive for me.
Thanks. I want to keep feeding him to make sure he's happy in his new home, but I also don't want to bring the nutrients in the water up too quickly.

My wife is partial to the powder blues. They are really beautiful fish. Ultimately, though, I don't plan on upgrading for a long time and powder browns stay smaller than many other tangs.

He does seem to have a peaceful, non-aggressive demeanor. It may be a little early to pin that on him just yet, but everyone in the tank is getting along very well.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Gorgeous Powder Brown! My Dad's Tank recently had an episode of Ick. He bought a Kole tang that was gorgeous and that would help "clean up" some of the algae in his 30. Then he planned to put it inside his connected 210gal after the algae "plague" was fixed.

The problem was that the Kole had Ick. It soon died of it and the disease transfered over to the 210 through the filtration. So ALL his tangs had gotten Ick and his Blue tang seemed to be on death row His Powder Brown Tang had it the worst yet seemed to fight it off pretty well. So my Dad bought a cleaner wrasse and now, the ick has almost completely dispersed without any specimen lost, and except for a few traces on the PB, everyfish is healthy.

Sme other good news is that his cleaner wrasse is eating other food as well.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Silverfin - that's unfortunate. I'm glad everything has gotten back on track though. I've heard that cleaner wrasses are relatively difficult to keep alive, so the fact that he's eating prepared food is GREAT!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

We spent yesterday and today painting the living room. Not very entertaining, but I woke up this morning and my skimmer was going nuts! It had completely overflowed. I emptied it out and turned it back on, and it immediately started overflowing again. It's better now, but we just finished painting. Does painting affect skimmer performance?

Yesterday we went to the LFS to pick up some CUC and we also got a little rock covered in blue 'shrooms and a couple zoas. It isn't too interesting, but the Mrs. wanted it!

This is the look I get when she needs my help with something and I grab the camera instead!!!!

Here's an odd picture of snails in a pyrex measuring cup - I think I got the idea from The Man himself - www.melevsreef.com I didn't feel like manually holding 20 snails against the glass until they grip, so this way they can make their way on their own time.

In irrelevant news, I got the look from my buddy Drake today. It's the "I want you to play with me" look.

Later!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Ok j I took some ric pics for ya....

I'm not a photographer (obviously) so please excuse the poor photos.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

THOSE RICS ARE BEAUTIFUL! That's the kind of look I want for my tank in the future. Rics are so colorful. I only have 1 polyp right now, but I hope to get some more in.

Thank you for posting - I could use some more corals in this thread!!!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
THOSE RICS ARE BEAUTIFUL! That's the kind of look I want for my tank in the future. Rics are so colorful. I only have 1 polyp right now, but I hope to get some more in.

Thank you for posting - I could use some more corals in this thread!!!
Thank you very much....My wife and I have enjoyed following along on your thread and we look forward to seeing you fill that tank up.
Old 01/06/2008, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

hello peeps I see you from N.O. nice me too;what pet shop you deal with;{Coral Connection?} the owner name george.Aquatic S. in kenner?.or Ricks Reef=on David Dr.well I deal with Ricks Reef he is one of the best in the city and if you all just beginning that's a good place to go ;he's honest, help you with anything;takes his time with you;walk you step by step,step up by set up and also have nice selection of corals to.now Aquatic in Kenner off of williams have a nice selection of fish.but far as your set up and Reefkeeping Ricks reef is your best bet peace.
Freshwater is Great but Saltwater is the best; Top Dog Tanks.take your time spend some money and you will do great:peace. just do it ;you only live once but you can also live again Acts 2:38
Old 01/06/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

What LFS did you go to?

I like those mushrooms on that piece of rock!

Keep the pictures coming!!!!
Old 01/06/2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

tanks looks great jc
Old 01/06/2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

by the way where you get the rock from nice.let me in on it.starting up my 65gl high is empty now but I'm about to start setting up and buying my equipment.going reef.peace P.S. had a 45gl high reef set up before the storm you understand.
Freshwater is Great but Saltwater is the best; Top Dog Tanks.take your time spend some money and you will do great:peace. just do it ;you only live once but you can also live again Acts 2:38
Old 01/06/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crt81
What LFS did you go to?

I like those mushrooms on that piece of rock!

Keep the pictures coming!!!!
what up peeps another home towner I'm try to find out where he get the rock from.That's a nice piece
Old 01/06/2008, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

malawi - I mainly go to Aquatic Specialties, Coral Connection, and Paradise Pets (in laplace). The folks at Aquatic are very helpful and they take very good care of their fish. That's also where I got my very nice pieces of live rock.

crt81 - I got that little mushroom rock from Aquatic. They don't have much right now [holidays], but they'll be getting some soon.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

I know their supplies are pretty bare!

I am in there at least once a week!
Also was the that rock in the coral tank or in the back?
Old 01/06/2008, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Yesterday we went to the LFS to pick up some CUC and we also got a little rock covered in blue 'shrooms and a couple zoas. It isn't too interesting, but the Mrs. wanted it!

Good looking rock

Quote:

This is the look I get when she needs my help with something and I grab the camera instead!!!!

That looks like a "Put the camera down and help me get this extra arm out of the tank before someone sees it..."
Old 01/06/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

jc- Nice shrooms on the rock. Your wife made a good pick

NCguy- Not a photographer! Those are really beautiful pictures! I wish i could take those type of sharp close-ups with our coral and 'shrooms......

Last edited by Silverfin; 01/06/2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
malawi - I mainly go to Aquatic Specialties, Coral Connection, and Paradise Pets (in laplace). The folks at Aquatic are very helpful and they take very good care of their fish. That's also where I got my very nice pieces of live rock.

crt81 - I got that little mushroom rock from Aquatic. They don't have much right now [holidays], but they'll be getting some soon.
cool thank you very much.I know them guys at Aquatic Specialties.ha ha now I know where to get my live rock from thanks peace and I also know about Paradise Pets.it's a lady that run the place ;I think she the owner they real good two for as the fish nice off of 51 right by a school and homedepot.Thank you for the info I had some rock before from Aquatic Specialties. I going to show you some step by step pics once I get started.buying my equipment this week: peace
Old 01/06/2008, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

malawi - good deal. I'll be looking for your build thread!
Old 01/06/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
We spent yesterday and today painting the living room. Not very entertaining, but I woke up this morning and my skimmer was going nuts! It had completely overflowed. I emptied it out and turned it back on, and it immediately started overflowing again. It's better now, but we just finished painting. Does painting affect skimmer performance?

Later!
Is it possible that there was some die off from that rock that your skimmer had to deal with?
Old 01/06/2008, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

Possibly. I'm not sure - I also thought it could have been from the powder brown. New bioload...
Old 01/06/2008, 11:38 PM
TRC Leader

No, it was the painting. Whenever I paint, I air out the house thoroughly with open doors and windows. You can adjust the water level lower in the skimmer, or just turn it off for a while.

Or, come to think of it, hook up more tubing so it draws air from outside instead, provided you make sure it isn't somewhere that could suck in pesticides or fertilizer.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Oooo, thats like a CSI answer. Very cool. I am getting ready to paint a room across the hall from the sump room. I will have to remember to turn off the skimmer.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Wow thats cool, good reason not to paint in the winter
Old 01/07/2008, 12:06 AM
TRC Leader

Imagine staining, varnishing, and using oil-based paints. Not only will the skimmer go crazy, but the tank's water may turn milky as well.

The air around our tanks is very important to the life within, which is why we are so careful with various cleaners and pesticides. Painting is another thing to consider.