Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 01:24 PM
El Jefe de WRS

True, when you look at BK deluxe and the new SWC sicce run skimmers, the bubble plate is off the bottom anyways by a bit, so putting the pump in this otherwise unused space is just plain efficient.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

yes, more efficient. and in addition to the low mount adding to efficiency, an internal pump eliminates some of the potential for leaks! running the cord out of the effluent pipe is a great idea -- another way to help decrease the risk of leaks for out-of-sump skimmers.

and to think ... i just built a skimmer that has union fittings for a pump on the outside. well, now i know what to do with the leftover pieces of 6-inch pipe! i guess i'm going to start a DIY skimmer collection!

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"

Last edited by pescadero; 12/20/2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12/20/2007, 01:58 PM
El Jefe de WRS

yeah, you can run the air hose and power cord through the standpipe... just make sure the standpipe is large enough to accomidate both these cords and its own flow! But the airline going up this pipe just makes sense, since you can put a muffler on the drainpipe, and so the airline would be completely invisible. The power cord as well is easy to do, and having a small notch coming out the top of the standpipe, well, easy enough to do.

Like so...
Old 12/20/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
ostrow: Measure from the center of the output (or theimpeller, whichever is lower) on the pump to where the water level meets the foam head, that will be your total inches of head on the pump.

IME smaller dia, thicker meshmods tend to start better, while still producing as much air as a larger dia, thicker mesh.
Jeff, Jon, I'm wondering if you or anyone else who is familiar with the QO 3k can help me with a column height question:

I've got a 6-inch skimmer plumbed with 1-inch pipe for an external QO 3000 pump and a reduction-fitting type venturi patterened after your designs. The pump impeller hasn't been modded yet though modding it is an option. (I'd prefer a mod that provides absolutely reliable restarts over one that provides max airflow.) Right now the body is very tall (so tall that the venturis won't pull air if I fill the chamber with many feet of water) and needs to be cut down.

I'm trying to determine how tall of a water column a QK 3k can handle well. My preference is for a taller skimmer where I won't have to make lots of restrictions on inlet airflow; Instead of a short body that would require a lot of air inlet restriction, i'd prefer a taller body that would require less air inlet restriction. I'd like a taller body for the increased bubble path length. i'm not worried about compactness.

from a practical standpoint, how tall can you make a 6-inch skimmer that performs well if you're using a QO 3000 for the recirc pump? unfortunately i don't have an airflow meter yet, so at this point i'm still dependent upon the recommendations of others to determine how much bubble path length / head will work well. this skimmer will go into a water closet, and i'm not worried about fitting it under a tank stand.

thanks.

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"

Last edited by pescadero; 12/20/2007 at 03:59 PM.