Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Welp still getting around, and I wanted post 300, lol. Here is a pick of my newly named frog "Dozer"

Old 06/16/2006, 08:51 AM
VILP

Gorgeous kpk.....wait, I really mean butt ugly.....nah, I'll stick w/ gorgeous!

Lefty - so sorry to hear about your losses. It is so frustrating to me to know how many of these fish perish soon after purchase, even by experienced marine aquarists that do all the "right" things. I wish I knew how to influence better collection and handling practices for this species.
Old 06/16/2006, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

He's a beauty lol. I showed my girlfriends mom pics and she said it looks like a melted rock, and then she saw some yellow variants and said "someone puked in the tank" lol. No offense to fuggly.
Old 06/16/2006, 09:11 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

Lefty, sorry to hear

Ok, something that might help.

I have a new striatus that I'm quarantining in hyposalinity right now. He's made it to the point were you tend to see early frog deaths.

I"m seeing right now that he has stringy white poop, which can mean internal problem/parasite/infection. He's not breathing hard, which is a good sign. It may be that the hyposalinity is giving him enough edge to withstand the current problems.

It kind of fits in with new anglers dieing upon the first feeding. I've had or seen that happen maybe half a dozen times this year.

For new frogs, I'm thinking hyposalinity, no feeding for a week or so, and try to clear out any internal probs.
Old 06/16/2006, 02:54 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I just saw a post on grimreefers about a maculatus for sale on liveaquaria
http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...8213&siteid=20

So Cool!!!
Old 06/16/2006, 02:56 PM
Tailspot Blenny

is a Gumdrop Coral Croucher a frogfish? scorpionfish?
(Caracanthus maculatus)

Old 06/16/2006, 02:59 PM
VILP

It is not a frogfish. It belongs to the Scorpionfish order.
Old 06/16/2006, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Today I got some 1" white shrimp from seawaterexpress.com for my frogfish. He ate them right up! The yellow tale damsel that I gave him last week is still in there though. How many 1" shrimp would you feed a 4" long angler and how often? I have had him for about three weeks now with no problems. I think keeping him properly fed is going to be the key.
Old 06/16/2006, 05:09 PM
VILP

If you are going to ration them, I'd go w/ no more than two at a time and twice a week.

My approach w/ Fuggly and now w/ Jabba is to put 50+ shrimp at a time in at once and then the frogfish self-regulates. I'd only suggest trying this approach when the frogfish is already quite full though.

Hopefully you got the warning from George at Seawater Express that you need to keep the shrimp well fed to keep cannibalization to a minimum. Feed them good quality marine fish food and you've gut loaded them for your frogfish!

Best of luck.
Old 06/16/2006, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

I don't think I can put many shrimp in there at one time. When I put 5 of them in, he at them all! I guess he was hungry, but they always seem to think that =)
Old 06/16/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Cool

I just got a frogfish today and I'm trying to figure out what species it is. I think its either A. pictus or A. commersoni based on it being collected from Hawaii, but beyond that I have no idea. Is there a good way to tell the difference between the species?
Old 06/16/2006, 11:55 PM

Reef Fishes vol 1 has a really great section on frogfish. Also check Zubi's frogfish page http://www.starfish.ch/frogfish/index.html
Old 06/18/2006, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Hey you guys really seem to know about frogfish...mine seems to have air in his stomach after I transferred it into my tank...is there anyway to get this out and will he be ok?...thanks!
Old 06/21/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

Maybe too late, but earlier uberfugu told me to push on his belly to relieve him of the bubble that mine gulped up, but it came out itself.

Just a little update on my new guy. He finally at 2 ghost shrimp today. I guess he really doesn't want the feeder fish because everytime I put them in he just looks away, but the ghost's did stand a chance in hell. Makes me feel good that he ate.

Kyle
Old 06/21/2006, 04:53 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Hi Guys,
After much debate, I've decided to go with an A. Maculatus (max 4 in.). They're currently available at liveaquaria, which seems like they should be more available now a days (or maybe they're just lucky to have a few). I've decided to go with a small tank so the little guy doesn't get lost, but also empower the use of a nice skimmer and make it a nice show tank.

I've planned a 7.5 gallon display with a 12" x 12" x 12" sump that will house a Tunze Nano Reefpack (which has skimmer and carbon/phosphate media chambers). I'm also installing two iceprobe chillers to the sump, along with a pretty big fuge of 12" x 6" x 9". This will all be topped off with an ATO that will be in the future be tied to the RO/DI resevoir that my larger system has.

The tank itself will be a rimless tank made from thick acrylic, rounded front corners, and an external overflow. It will get about 250gph of flow, 70watt HQI lighting, amongst other things. I'll probably only keep zoanthids, cloves, xenia in the fuge, and maybe some neat LPS (maybe try some acans and more blastos).

Anyway, I'd like some input to see if my plans would suffice for a maculatus (I'm sure I spell this differently every time). Below is the thread for the tank plans.

Thanks!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=870526
Old 06/26/2006, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Been following this thread for a while but thought I'd jump in. Here's a quick pic of my latest acquisition currently acclimating in a holding tank...

and here's a pic I dug up of my first frogfish from back in 2001. A. dorehensis about an inch long...

Eat them up, yum!
Old 06/26/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Texsun
Been following this thread for a while but thought I'd jump in. Here's a quick pic of my latest acquisition currently acclimating in a holding tank...

Histiophryne, my favorite Genus and species Tex. If you're looking to sell him, I've got a girl waiting.

I got a pair of Antennatus tuberosus over the weekend.

Old 06/26/2006, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

I was able to visit the Seattle Aquarium this past weekend. I was impressed with their tanks and had had a great time. They even had a frogfish! I was not able to get a good picture of him but I gave it my best.
Old 06/26/2006, 11:29 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by uberfugu
Histiophryne, my favorite Genus and species Tex. If you're looking to sell him, I've got a girl waiting.

woah crazy! where did you get the tubers in the bay area? Or were they shipped? I've been trying to find these guys or similar dwarves for awhile.
Old 06/27/2006, 06:32 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by uberfugu

Uber - have you learned how to sex your frogfish or do you just know you have a girl because she's released an egg raft since you've had her? Have you learned to figure it out by behavior? I've had a few anglers now over the last few years and I have no idea of the sex of any of them...

gotfrogs - no wonder it was tough to get a good shot of that frogfish - he blends That is cool that a public aquarium had one. I've never seen that and I visit as many of them as I can. I've always hoped to see a full grown Commersons.
Old 06/27/2006, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Uber, don't think I'm quite ready to play matchmaker but you will be the first to know if I change my mind. I'm also curious as to how you can tell he's a he.

Reefcherie, we had what had to have been close to a full grown (10"+) bright yellow commerson at the Aquarium of the Pacific a few years back. Quite an impressive sight.
Eat them up, yum!
Old 06/27/2006, 10:28 AM
PKSN

New Alameda often gets tuberosus.
Old 07/07/2006, 02:42 PM

Just a quick post. Sorry for the blurry pics.

Set up a new frog house this week Still working on it. So far, 4' cubicle tank, sump, Euroreef skimmer, UV sterilizer, 2X ODNO fluorescent lighting with 1 Phillips daylight and 1 ZooMed actinic.

Froggy family right now includes 3 mummifer, 3 tuberosus, and 2 maculatus. No pics of the little guys yet.
Old 07/07/2006, 03:39 PM
Tailspot Blenny

wow!!! I'm coming over! whatcha doing this weekend?
Old 07/07/2006, 05:22 PM
VILP

Very cool!!