Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 06:46 PM
Frag-a-holic

I just bought a DNW 110 for my 40 breeder with 40 sump. I don't want to do any mods yet, just want to get it set up. there are really no instructions with the thing, just an exploded diagram. So, my questions are,
1. what should be my water height in the sump be?
2. the standpipe on the exit, I am sure I can cut it down, but what should be the lowest I can cut it? even with the top of the collection cup?
3. for the t and 90* on the exit, can I cut the runners between them shorter so they don't stick out so much from the skimmer?
4. do I need to glue these pieces together, or can I count on compression to hold them together?

Thanks in advance, I am planning on getting the tank going this weekend and hope that everything goes smoothly. I just need to know these answers before I run into serious problems. Also, can I reduce the break in time by cleaning the whole unit out with some vinegar? I am doing a switch over from another tank, so I need to be filtering soon so nothing dies.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 10/11/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Mesh mod?
Do you think it is really necessary for me to mod the skimmer?

I thought with a system 1/2 the size the skimmer is rated for i would be able to run the skimmer factory and get good results.
Old 10/11/2007, 07:36 PM
I buy in bulk!

Scott you honestly did more harm than good modding it with the ball valve. They work good out of the box. I would remove the ball valve if possible and replace it with the standpipe.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/11/2007, 07:43 PM
I buy in bulk!

Quote:
Originally posted by GrandeGixxer
I just bought a DNW 110 for my 40 breeder with 40 sump. I don't want to do any mods yet, just want to get it set up. there are really no instructions with the thing, just an exploded diagram. So, my questions are,
1. what should be my water height in the sump be?
2. the standpipe on the exit, I am sure I can cut it down, but what should be the lowest I can cut it? even with the top of the collection cup?
3. for the t and 90* on the exit, can I cut the runners between them shorter so they don't stick out so much from the skimmer?
4. do I need to glue these pieces together, or can I count on compression to hold them together?

Thanks in advance, I am planning on getting the tank going this weekend and hope that everything goes smoothly. I just need to know these answers before I run into serious problems. Also, can I reduce the break in time by cleaning the whole unit out with some vinegar? I am doing a switch over from another tank, so I need to be filtering soon so nothing dies.
1) Being that it is a recirc model water height is not important as you can actually run them outside of the sump. If you had a typo, which I dont think you do but I will answer it anyway, and it is actually the NW100 then 8-10 inches is fine. A steady water level is the most important thing. Also you are aware the recirc model needs a separate pump capable of flowing 1- 1 1/2 times the system volume to feed it or you need to tap into the tank drain.

2) The standpipe height can be cut to a little under the collection cup. You have the true union ball valve on the recirc model that will actually adjust the water level.

3) There should be no problem with shortening them as I mentioned the water level is adjusted by the ball valve

4) You do not need to glue them together. In fact DO NOT glue them together as when cleaning time comes or if by some strange reason one part breaks you are screwed.

Vinegar will help cut down on the break in time, but it really just needs to run to build up a slime layer inside. Best bet is to just have it skim wet and empty and clean the collection cup more often until it is fully broken in.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/11/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

How long is the break in time?????
Old 10/11/2007, 08:01 PM
I buy in bulk!

Up to 4 weeks.

Old 10/11/2007, 08:21 PM
Frag-a-holic

Todd, it is the recirc model. So, anywhere is fine for the water level up to about the neck would you say? I am planning on running it in about 14-15 inches of water. Will this be ok, or will I need to build it a platform to chill on?

Old 10/11/2007, 08:27 PM
I buy in bulk!

The deeper you put it in the water the more pressure the pump has to overcome. You can see the wattage increase on a kill a watt. I would put it on a platform. The great thing about the recircs is that you can have them out of the water and they still work great. Anyway back to the wattage. The harder the pump has to work and the more wattage it draws the more heat created and the sooner the pump will fail. The OTP pumps can be quite temperamental.

Old 10/11/2007, 08:47 PM
Frag-a-holic

I guess I should have mentioned that the skimmer will be supplied by one of the overflows.

Old 10/11/2007, 08:51 PM
I buy in bulk!

The recirc pump is still working against water pressure. That is the pump I was referring to. My NW200 with the OTP3000 has a wattage of about 55 or 60 in 6 inches of water and 78 in 15 inches of water just to give you an example.

Old 10/11/2007, 09:07 PM
Frag-a-holic

Thanks Todd, I will work something out then to raise it up. Maybe I will just make my sump dividers a little lower.

Old 10/11/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

would i be better off putting my coral life skimmer back in my tank and running the oct in vinegar and water for 2-4 weeks?
Old 10/11/2007, 11:48 PM
I buy in bulk!

No. Run the skimmer. As I said you unfortunately made an error by putting on the ball valve but the skimmer will not break in properly until it has been run in the tank for a while. Vinegar will help but it is no where near a substitute for being in the tank. Set the water level to near the top of the cup and every day you will need to adjust it down a little. You can rectify the ball valve issue by getting one that is 2 sizes larger and using reducers to match the pipe. That way the flow size is the same all the way through.

Old 10/11/2007, 11:51 PM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by scottflanagan
would i be better off putting my coral life skimmer back in my tank and running the oct in vinegar and water for 2-4 weeks?
Nah, you'll be fine. the skimmer really needs saltwater and the bacteria in our tanks to "break in". If you're worried about the corals and fish...just cut your feeding back a little and do an extra water change in a week if it hasn;t broken in yet.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:52 PM
DIY Junkie

Hi todd!! don;t forget to tell the good people about our friend the kill-a-watt
Old 10/12/2007, 09:21 AM
Frag-a-holic

Todd, I cut my baffles at 10.5 inches for the sump. That is what the water level is going to be at. I think I should be ok. Thanks again, Joe.

Old 10/12/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

the silicone O ring that lets you adjust the adjustable standpipe broke on my octopus, can I use just a standard black rubber O ring (kitchen faucet type) , or how would I find a silicone one?

Thanks!
Old 10/12/2007, 09:58 AM
I buy in bulk!

Quote:
Originally posted by JCTewks
Hi todd!! don;t forget to tell the good people about our friend the kill-a-watt
I only preach that when they start modding.

Old 10/12/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

"The recirc pump is still working against water pressure. That is the pump I was referring to. My NW200 with the OTP3000 has a wattage of about 55 or 60 in 6 inches of water and 78 in 15 inches of water just to give you an example."

Slowcobra-I'm confused, how does the water level in the sump have any effect on a recir. The height of the water in the body itself should dictate how much water pressure the recir pump works against.
Old 10/12/2007, 12:16 PM
I buy in bulk!

The height of the water, regardless of whether it is a recirc or not, will only have so much water in it. You cannot fit 5 gals in a 3 gal container. Perhaps I am wrong and the recirc will not see as much of an effect as the non-recirc. I posted empirical data on what happened with my non-recirc using a kill a watt. Water pressure is water pressure. It does not distinguish between containers or pumps. I may be way off base on this one. I guess someone with a kill a watt and a recirc would need to test it for us to prove or disprove me. I don't mind being proven wrong as long as there is real data to back it up.

The way I look at it, is someone has to be wrong. It isn't so much about being wrong it's learning why you are wrong.

Old 10/12/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

has anyone tried to add another pump to make it a dual pump dnw200?
Old 10/12/2007, 12:47 PM
I buy in bulk!

I don't think the body size can handle 2 OTP3000 pumps without severe cavitation. Others a little more versed in the multiple pump to body size will chime in with a definitive answer.

Old 10/12/2007, 12:50 PM
I buy in bulk!

Quote:
Originally posted by rtecanoe
the silicone O ring that lets you adjust the adjustable standpipe broke on my octopus, can I use just a standard black rubber O ring (kitchen faucet type) , or how would I find a silicone one?

Thanks!
If I was in need of a replacement I would use a standard rubber one. Just rinse it well to make sure there is nothing on it that might contaminate the water.

Old 10/12/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I have noticed a signifigant wattage change when lowering or raising the water level in the skimmer, as much a 3-4 watts per inch.

BTW-I was not trying to prove anyone wrong. The reason I asked about the level in the sump, if this level does effect wattage on a recir., I would try to raise the skimmer in effort to reduce wattage. My wattage is running a little high, I'm looking for ways to reduce it without sacrificing air.
Old 10/12/2007, 01:31 PM
I buy in bulk!

Sometimes writing on a message board tends to have the ability to be perceived the wrong way. I am with you on the wattage. No need to run the pump under more stress that it needs to be. The less wattage, the less of an extra heater and the longer the pump should theoretically last while performing the same task.