Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

AD91158- what type of trim did your tech tank come with people had been saying that some were showing up with all-glass trim. i just ordered mine the other day and now im wondering if i should have waited.
Old 07/27/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

The trim on mine is definatly more fancy than all-glass. Im lookin at my all glass 65 and the 120 side by side and the 120 oceanic has the nicer kind.
Old 07/27/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted By rarelyseen;

"i just ordered mine the other day and now im wondering if i should have waited."

I believe you'll find that you get the "nice" trim because of the timeframe you've ordered. I picked up my 120 Tech back in March and got the nice trim.

Joe
Old 07/27/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

sweet! i was getting alittle worried. it still going to be another week and a half before the tank comes in.
Old 07/27/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

rarelyseen,

Make sure you check the small, white tag UNDER the bottom glass, before you run your card or write a check!!! This tag has the last name of the person who made the tank, and underneath that is a "date of manufacture" code. Mine was K1106W4 (meaning my tank was made last November 2006, in the 4th quarter..."K" is the 11th letter of the alphabet, meaning the 11th month, i believe).

Joe
Old 07/28/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Guys, don't you think you are taking this tank thing abit far with the trim and all. I mean love your tank, but please love what its going to host more (Just giving you guys a hard time)

Seems like lots of guys on here got new tech tanks and my be getting ready for saltwater. I have my Tech120 plumbed to a refugium with a external CoralLife 1080 External Pump.

I would love to make this a more quite operation, if you guys figure out some ways to do this please port something up.
Old 07/28/2007, 12:34 AM
Registered Member

joe- thanks for the info. hopefully its one of the new ones with the starfire front glass and if it not..... well then i guess ill have to wait tell they get me the right one.

sditch- no i don't think we are taking this alittle to far. it a matter of getting what you pay for. i know you were only joking but me like other people don't want to pay for one thing and get another im sure you can see were allot of people here are coming from.
Old 07/28/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

we want to see pictures when you get it. What happened to people posting pics? Lets see them. I want to see what LarryW has done and everyone else actually. =) I've just seen the beginning. Lets see some more updates on all of your tanks.

40 breeder, BM 150 Skimmer, 25 gallon sump/fuge, Aqualight Pro, Closed loop with Reeflo Sequence Snapper and Vortech.
Old 07/28/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey, sditch,

Really, I'm just trying to pass along some correct information, and maybe help someone along the way (Lord knows I'm going to need some help as I move forward with my Tech project). I personally LOVE my Tech with front starfire as much as if it had three sides starfire. It doesn't matter to me!! These tanks are the greatest (but that's just my opinion)!!!!! As far as advising you on your plumbing set-up w/ refugium, I'm the complete noob as far as sumps and plumbing are concerned. I've been in this hobby a long time, but this is my first sump (I'd LOVE to see some detailed pics of your set-up).

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07/28/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Sure, I will try and get some pics for you guys this weekend...... My tank is not that load but It's in the living room so I was trying to understand that tread about making your overflow abit more quit.

P.S. I have seen about 4-5 Tech tanks in person thoughout the year and they all look the same to me except for the stand. Each seems to be a work of art
Old 07/29/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Here are some high-res pictures of the plumbing on my Tech120. I had a great guy from one of my LFS store come over and help me plum it all up.

Old 07/29/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

sditch,

Thanks for the pictures. Your plumbing looks a little more "involved" than mine!!! What type of fan are you running on the back of the sump area? Where did you get it? It looks like you have the Tech stand as well, correct?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07/30/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

Yea I pretty much went crazy since its in my living room. PVC can be your friend sometimes The two fans are sold as Honeywell that I got from Wallyworld(Walmart) for $10 a piece and are controled by the ACIII.

It's amazing what fans can do when they blow across the surface of the water like that. You are correct, that is a Tech Stand.......
Old 07/30/2007, 04:38 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by seanb
Anyone know a good source for Tech tanks in California. Here on the Central Coast most LFS look at me like I am speaking a foreign language when I ask about a Tech tanks.
We can get them here in the Bay Area, but it is a special order item.
Old 07/30/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Hi All
I finally got everything moved from my 90 to my 120 tech tank.
Spent 16 hours doing this and no casualties other that a whole handful of frags from my SPS corals and my back. I will try to get pictures as soon a possible. I will need to do more work aquascaping. Also need to finish redoing my canopy.
Old 07/31/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted to say I'm a 120 tech tank owner and I'm very happy with the quality.
I didn't order the stand though, as I thought the "stainlesss steel" decal is not to my taste.
Old 08/01/2007, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

hey guys i was just thinking does anyone use the holes in the euro bracing to hold a sea swril or a wavy sea for the return or a closed loop.
Old 08/01/2007, 11:10 AM
Just call me LDogg

i don't know if anyone is doing it now, but it was discussed earlier in the thread, and would be a great way to plumb returns for a CL.
Old 08/01/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

I'm using the Herbie (silent sump) method for my 45 tech. Both holes in the overflow are used as drains, and I'm running the return up the back to an OM squirt 2-way wavemaker...then into 3/4" bulkheads inserted into the holes in the bracing.

Looks like its going to work nicely....but I'm waiting on my Solaris and sump before filling with saltwater.
Old 08/01/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

I went ahead and used all 4 of the holes in the overflow as drains and I am using the holes for my returns. I upgraded the 2 1"X 3/4" bulkhead fittings to 1". I am pumping 1400 gallon back to the tank and can go more.
Old 08/01/2007, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

sjediets...

Did you use the megaflow return kits on both of them? or did you make something custom? I was about to do that the other day but i didnt think two of the kits would fit within the overflow space...

Quote:
Originally posted by sjediets
I'm using the Herbie (silent sump) method for my 45 tech. Both holes in the overflow are used as drains, and I'm running the return up the back to an OM squirt 2-way wavemaker...then into 3/4" bulkheads inserted into the holes in the bracing.

Looks like its going to work nicely....but I'm waiting on my Solaris and sump before filling with saltwater.
Old 08/01/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by neverwouldof
sjediets...

Did you use the megaflow return kits on both of them? or did you make something custom? I was about to do that the other day but i didnt think two of the kits would fit within the overflow space...
Actually you don't need the megaflow kit at all...but I used the adjustable standpipe as my emergency drain (withouth the top u-strainer piece). It makes it nice because you can easily adjust the level of the emergency drain. The main drain is just a piece of 1" pvc cut to about 1/2 the height of the overflow. It is always underwater

If you haven't seen it....take a couple hours ;-) and read over the thread on the Herbie method.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=344892

When I first leak tested my new tank, I couldn't tolerate the sump noise from all the air put in by the durso standpipe. The Herbie method made my sump and overflow completely SILENT. I can hear my computer over the tank now.

At first I was kinda bummed that I couldn't use the overflow for the return, but I got over that quickly once I found the OceansMotions squirt and realized that I could create a wave affect from my return.

The holes in the bracing fit 3/4" bulkheads perfectly, and I'm using black no-kink tubing from Marine Depot into elbow insert fittings.

Its a win-win in my book.

JGross4 is doing something very similar...and I stole some of his ideas. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1082472

Last edited by sjediets; 08/01/2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08/01/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Here are a some pics of the Herbie method with OM squirt (return and overflow plumbing).

Last edited by sjediets; 08/01/2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08/01/2007, 07:02 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Looking good.

You're going to clamp those hose-barbs, right?
Old 08/01/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
Looking good.

You're going to clamp those hose-barbs, right?
Yeah...they're pretty d@mn tight....but I have plastic clamps for them just so I don't wake up to a saltwater shower