Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/23/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

new to reefing and the area. Just moved to Greensboro and I am glad I found this thread. I just purchased my first coral the other day and I think I am already addicted to keeping a reef.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

help sick trigger

I have a small triger [ picoso] in a 20g long tank and he has been laying on his side most of the day , if I give him a little nug he'll get up and swim around a bit but won't eat like he use to . The tank had some cyano in that I was having a hard tiime getting rid of so my lfs told me to use half a maracyn tablet a day and do a water change every 48hrs until I was rid of it. I stopped that 3 days ago and have done a 25% water change yesterday and today . Does anyone have any advice, please help my wife is very very attached to this little guy. Thanx Dave E
PS
All my water levels are where they should be , I really want to give this little guy all the help I can he's really fighting to live so if anyone can help I'd be mighty grateful

Last edited by dne63; 04/23/2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04/23/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

It doesn't take long. Welcome jba.
Old 04/23/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

dne63

Maracyn is an antibiotic. It may have killed the nitrifying bacteria in your tank. Have you checked your levels?
Old 04/23/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

My levels are all right where they should be
Old 04/23/2007, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sorry that I can't offer any advice, just moral support.

We all know how it feels to loose a fish.

Hope yours gets better real soon.
Old 04/23/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanx Gary
Old 04/23/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paintbug
i should have a few corals for sale/trade at the DU swap saturday.

the SEA-T group ( i think you have the link ) is having our next swap May 5th. the greensboro shop will never have anything to do with having a swap. we asked about having our first meeting there, and got turned down. one of our members was handing out some fliers for the first meeting and go kicked out. the kernersville store is a lot more open to doing a swap from the store, but getting it together just has not happened.
Aquamain's? Maybe because they dont want more people coming in and finding out they want 300 bucks for a one inch maxima clam!
Old 04/23/2007, 03:37 PM
Member of SEA-T

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
Aquamain's? Maybe because they dont want more people coming in and finding out they want 300 bucks for a one inch maxima clam!
or $20 for an acro frag that 1/2" tall that they found in the bottom of the bag from shipping. dont even get me started on that place LOL
Old 04/23/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

trying to post pics of kenya tree.
Old 04/23/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Doni, Sonja,
here are pics of my Kenya tree. it looks more pink than purple now. i dont know if that is my lighting (65 watt pc 50/50 bulb) or my photography (not experienced with taking pictures of the tank yet). im sure that you both have this variety of coral (a common capnella maybe?).

Old 04/26/2007, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

New Reef store in Clayton

I haven't seen it posted anywhere so I thought I would let everyone know that a new store - Reef Keepers Aquarium - just opened last January in Clayton. I stopped in and was blown away by the setup of the store. There are two beautiful 12'x4' acrylic tanks stocked full of every coral you can think of. Bill is the owner and seems like a great resource to have in this hobby. He has given me sound advice and not just tried to sell me things I don't need. I plan on frequenting his store often. I live in Clayton and am so excited to have such a great store close to home now. It's located just west of downtown on old hywy 70.

Just wanted to give folks a heads up since I just discovered this store. Thanks.
Old 04/27/2007, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Nano keeper, how about some directions from Raleigh to Reef Keepers?
Old 04/27/2007, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

my trigger

Hi Folks , I'm sorry to say I lost my little trigger. He fought so hard to live for 5 days. My wife was so in love with the little guy, I just could'nt brake it to her so instead of doing so I ran out and got another one. The first one was a picaso and they did'nt have any more of them so I got a bursa. So far she has'nt caught on. I hated to do so but not a bad as I hate seeing her heart broken, so maybe after a few days or so once she gets as attacht to this one it'll take some of the pain away from lossing triggy.
Old 04/27/2007, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I go to the outer banks every year for the past three years and am actually bringing a reefer like myself this year and was wondering if there are any good marine stores down there? I went to some crappy novelty store with an alligator, boa, and snapping turtle. Also, is the north carolina that is in the area any good?
Old 04/27/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thecichlidpleco
I go to the outer banks every year for the past three years and am actually bringing a reefer like myself this year and was wondering if there are any good marine stores down there? I went to some crappy novelty store with an alligator, boa, and snapping turtle. Also, is the north carolina that is in the area any good?
If it just me then sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding what your refering to when you say "Also, is the north carolina that is in the area any good? again maybe its me , Dave E
Old 04/27/2007, 01:41 PM
ostensibly normal

I'll take a WAG and suggest that he meant 'is the north carolina aquarium that is the area any good'
Old 04/27/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

yes, i need to publish drafts of my posts before I post
Old 04/27/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Excalibur s100 skimmer for sale

Excalibur S100 in sump skimmer rated for up to 75g. Extra clean and ready to ship, pics upon request. $60 + shipping/insurance from 27801 NC. PayPal prefered.

Jeff
Old 04/27/2007, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carolina reefer
Nano keeper, how about some directions from Raleigh to Reef Keepers?
This will give you what you need.

http://reefkeepersaquarium.com/go/?page_id=7
Old 04/28/2007, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

All right guys and gals, I am going to either get out of the hobby for awhile or do a downgrade to something like a 24 gal cube. As some of you know I have a 125 w/ a 75 for a sump. I really enjoy this tank but it takes up alot of room in my house and alot of my time. Come around october I may start selling parts of it off starting with some of the livestock, if I go with a 24 cube I will keep my small fish and some corals oh and enough rock for my new tank to and the rest I will sell

I have...
2 Dolphin Ampmaster 3000
2 Auto topoff switches
1 southbay 6-2 skimmer w/ sedra 5000
1 125 gal dual mega overflow w/ stand and canopy
canopy has 3 250 watt MH ballasts w/SE base's
3 110w PC ballasts, canopy also has 2 fans on the top for cooling.
1 Quietone 6000
and various other odd and ins that I cant think of right now due to me being in IRAQ.
Old 04/28/2007, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

All right guys and gals, I am going to either get out of the hobby for awhile or do a downgrade to something like a 24 gal cube. As some of you know I have a 125 w/ a 75 for a sump. I really enjoy this tank but it takes up alot of room in my house and alot of my time. Come around october I may start selling parts of it off starting with some of the livestock, if I go with a 24 cube I will keep my small fish and some corals oh and enough rock for my new tank to and the rest I will sell

I have...
2 Dolphin Ampmaster 3000
2 Auto topoff switches
1 southbay 6-2 skimmer w/ sedra 5000
1 125 gal dual mega overflow w/ stand and canopy
canopy has 3 250 watt MH ballasts w/SE base's
3 110w PC ballasts, canopy also has 2 fans on the top for cooling.
1 Quietone 6000
and various other odd and ins that I cant think of right now due to me being in IRAQ.
Old 04/28/2007, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Please PM me some prices..... Maybe I can help you out. I live in New Bern so we may be able to work something out.
Old 04/28/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

A tall Kenya

Ok guys and gals how about some advice , I have this kenya that about 6" tall and the stock is atleast 1" dia. and all it seems to do is keep going taller and not filling out at the top. I've gotten some differant advice. Cut it in have and try to reattach the top part to another l/r so I was wondering if anyone has any differant advice. Thanx folks, Dave E

Old 04/28/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

None of mine do that. I think it is stretching up towards the light..... give it stronger light and it will get bushy.