Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2006, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

That's so true, dwculp. I just bought my first non-hitchhiker corals last week and mounted them, (pics to come shortly!) and did a water change two nights before that. And there are some authors who support giving your tank a large rearrangement/disturbing event, kind of like simulating the effects of a hurricane in nature, in an effort to stimulate not hurt your corals. Perhaps your tank perked up from the attention that you gave it?
Old 12/12/2006, 03:43 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
I could probalby use about 50 of them then.
Just in case anyone reads this, it is recommended to have 4 square feet of open sandbed per fighting conch in order for it to get enough food. I know you were just joking around Dennis, but a new person might not. Of course, who is going to spend $500 on conchs?

dwculp, I've tried placing mine on a rock a couple of times, but it quickly retreats to the sandbed. One thing you can try is putting the rock on the sandbed and the conch will feed as far up as it can with its trunk, cool to see!

Brian
Old 12/12/2006, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Well I'm getting close to the point of breaking the whole thing down and doing away with it.

Algae just wont give me a break and the darn red slime algae just sucks to no end.

I'm going to TFP this weekend to get some hermits because that is the only thing I have found to eat the algae. It is against my better judgement because I really don't care to have the hermits but that is the only thing that is different in my tank than from the beginning and that is the lack of hermits. I was down to only about 1 or 2. I got about 20 or 30 a few weeks ago and can see that they are eating it but it is just too overwhelming for that few hermits so I think I will go for about 50 or so more.
Old 12/12/2006, 03:48 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by techreef
That's so true, dwculp. I just bought my first non-hitchhiker corals last week and mounted them, (pics to come shortly!) and did a water change two nights before that. And there are some authors who support giving your tank a large rearrangement/disturbing event, kind of like simulating the effects of a hurricane in nature, in an effort to stimulate not hurt your corals. Perhaps your tank perked up from the attention that you gave it?
Actually, what I think happened was it took a small downturn because I have been adjusting some parameters for the eventual betterment of the tank over the last few weeks. It just took awhile to rebound is all.

First, I switched salt brands, from plain IO to IO Reef Crystals for the added calcium and alk. My alk and CA are always way low.

Next, I started adding C-Balance to keep the Alk and CA up where they need to be.

Finally, I upped the temp a few degrees, winter is here or at least coming in and I wanted to up the temp a bit to 26C for a little added protection against the cold.
Old 12/12/2006, 03:49 PM
Robotic Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianPlankis
Just in case anyone reads this, it is recommended to have 4 square feet of open sandbed per fighting conch in order for it to get enough food. I know you were just joking around Dennis, but a new person might not. Of course, who is going to spend $500 on conchs?

dwculp, I've tried placing mine on a rock a couple of times, but it quickly retreats to the sandbed. One thing you can try is putting the rock on the sandbed and the conch will feed as far up as it can with its trunk, cool to see!

Brian
You are kidding?? You mean I have to return the other 49 I bought??
Old 12/23/2006, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Anyone ID this?

Tank is all TBS and about 6 months old, never seen this critter before. I removed it and waiting for an ID before I decide what to do with it.

Scott
Old 12/23/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a type of cucumber
Old 12/23/2006, 04:53 PM
Robotic Overlord

I agree, looks like a cuke to me. I would leave it.
Old 12/23/2006, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Guys, I agree. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I put it back.
Old 12/25/2006, 11:52 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Strykur
Thanks Guys, I agree. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I put it back.
Kudos to you for ISOLATING and IDENTIFYING Very cool to see people doing that.

Yours is a type of filter feeding cucumber. I have several of them in my tank and am beginning to wonder if they are reproducing or just becoming more bold. Here is the best picture I have of one so far:

Brian
Old 12/26/2006, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Well I'm getting close to the point of breaking the whole thing down and doing away with it.

Algae just wont give me a break and the darn red slime algae just sucks to no end.

I'm going to TFP this weekend to get some hermits because that is the only thing I have found to eat the algae. It is against my better judgement because I really don't care to have the hermits but that is the only thing that is different in my tank than from the beginning and that is the lack of hermits. I was down to only about 1 or 2. I got about 20 or 30 a few weeks ago and can see that they are eating it but it is just too overwhelming for that few hermits so I think I will go for about 50 or so more.
Check this site out www.garf.org they have reef janitors that are specified for individual types of algae blooms. Really nice people and service is great Ive always been happy with theyre products. When you call ask for Lionel
Old 12/27/2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Hi folks, this is Patsy from Raleigh. I've been away for a while but I have a problem. My skimmer pump has quit (Red Sea berlin skimmer) and I don't know the best place to buy a replacement pump or if I should just replace the skimmer. That would present a different sort of problem because I'm not great with plumbing. The guy at the fish store tells me that I can only use the same pump with that particular skimmer. Very grateful for any advice! Thanks
Old 12/27/2006, 07:53 PM
Robotic Overlord

What is the brand and model of pump?
Old 12/27/2006, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

The label says "Red Sea Skimmer Pump/Made by Hydor s.n.l./115v AC 55watts/221 P10.27

I've talked to the guy at the fish store about this skimmer before. He had one on one of his tanks in the store and hated it, finally through it away. So, does anyone else have an opinion of this skimmer? This is my first tank and I have no other experience with skimmers. This tank is one I bought from someone here in Raleigh who was moving and couldn't take the tank. They started in Feb '03 with tbs rock - and that is what I was looking to find. I've had it since July '05 and now have a 12 gal. nano too. Thanks.
Old 12/27/2006, 08:53 PM
Robotic Overlord

Is the skimmer an in sump or hang on back skimmer?
Old 12/27/2006, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

It is in the cabinet with the pump in the sump that has a hole drilled to get the water to the skimmer which sits outside the sump. The water returns to the sump via two pvc pipes which lead from the skimmer and hang over the edge of the sump. I'd post a picture but I don't know how to post pictures here. I do know how to email pics. Thanks!
Old 12/27/2006, 09:19 PM
Robotic Overlord

I would try contacting Red Sea and finding out what a suitable replacement pump would be.

You can contact Red Sea here: http://www.redseafish.com/contactus.asp
Old 12/27/2006, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much. I'll do that for starters
Old 01/03/2007, 06:05 PM
Robotic Overlord

One of my better ful tank shots

One of my better full tank shots:

Old 01/11/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Hello Again! Just thought I would catch up and tell you that I replaced the pump for my Red Sea skimmer from MarineAndReef.com That was the best price that I could find and I am very satisfied with their customer service, etc. I considered replacing the skimmer and became very interested in the new ATI bubblemaster, that is only available at reefgeek.com. If any of you need to think about a different skimmer you might take a look. I have a red turf algae situatiion going on in the 12 gal. nano. Does anybody have a cure? I've been all over the internet and all I've come up with so far is turbo snails. Actually it's pretty, but I've read that it becomes a real problem because it overtakes everything else.
Well, life intrudes, gotta run
Old 01/12/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hello Again! Just thought I would catch up and tell you that I replaced the pump for my Red Sea skimmer from MarineAndReef.com That was the best price that I could find and I am very satisfied with their customer service, etc. I considered replacing the skimmer and became very interested in the new ATI bubblemaster, that is only available at reefgeek.com. If any of you need to think about a different skimmer you might take a look. I have a red turf algae situatiion going on in the 12 gal. nano. Does anybody have a cure? I've been all over the internet and all I've come up with so far is turbo snails. Actually it's pretty, but I've read that it becomes a real problem because it overtakes everything else.
This was from earlier in the thread and although I have not ordered anything from them, it really sounds like they put a lot of research and energy in to everything they do.

Quote:
Check this site out www.garf.org they have reef janitors that are specified for individual types of algae blooms. Really nice people and service is great Ive always been happy with theyre products. When you call ask for Lionel
Old 01/12/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

While looking in the tank today, I noticed clown fish eggs all over the back of the glass. It's the first time I've ever seen eggs. They may have deposited some in the sand, and I never saw them.
I tried getting pictures, but they didn't come out well.
Old 01/12/2007, 08:08 PM
forever newbie

That's too cool, Pat. I've been waiting and waiting. Maybe I missed mine too
Old 01/16/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
That's too cool, Pat. I've been waiting and waiting. Maybe I missed mine too
Well, it took almost 2 years for it to happen Peggy. They ate all the eggs, but it was still pretty neat just seeing them.
Old 01/17/2007, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Speaking of eggs, i'm waiting for my ipsf.com stomatella snails to start breeding like I've heard many other reefers experiencing. they've been in my tank for a week now.

Something else interesting for the TBS crew out there; does anyone else have a mat of greyish-white "stuff" growing on either their glass or LR? I have two patches of this stuff, one on the back glass and another growing on the roof of one of my overhangs of LR. At first I thought it was just a mass of snail eggs, but it's been six months and nothing is hatching! So upon closer inspection, it looks like there may be little valves periodically positioned throughout the mat. I'm wondering if it's some type of sponge or tunicate? I'll try and get a good pic tonight.