Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/25/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Here are picks of my replacement pumps.

Old 06/25/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

has anyone tried some kind of....silicone/plumber putty/spray latex?
Old 06/25/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imtheonlylp
im sure it won't, but i was planning on plumbing it externally...im also planning on going ahead and upgrading the pumps as soon as i get it
Actually, the AE400 can't be plumbed externally. Even if you did a recirc mod on all three pumps (which would be way more effort than it's worth), it still has an overflow feature which will... overflow if you raise the water level.

There are recirc skimmers from AquaEuro if you want to give them a try, but the AE400 won't work for you unless you get a bigger sump.
Old 06/25/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
has anyone tried some kind of....silicone/plumber putty/spray latex?
I sealed my initial pumps with Plumbers Adhesive Resin. Seemed pretty simple. I'm not sure how long it would last. I havn't received my new pumps yet, and hopefully, they'll do a better job on those than what some of the other reefers have experienced.
Old 06/25/2007, 03:37 PM
One Good Friend

Here's what i did with my genx's. I sprayed them with krylon fusion, 2 coats, let dry, it seemed to have bonded very well and there are no exposed parts at all, then i used aquarium cauk around all them and they seem very water proof.
Old 06/25/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

and this skimmer can't be plumbed for external-sump use?
Old 06/25/2007, 03:42 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Eventual.y, the silicone and latex (fusion) will seperate from the epoxy. They may stick for now, but its just a matter of time before they peel off. The best you can achieve with such materials is to try and make a flange... using something to press the material against what you are trying to stick it to like a gasket or lid. But ot wont stick on its own for long.
Old 06/25/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
and this skimmer can't be plumbed for external-sump use?
it could be done but it would be a really big project to make it safe from overflow. this is an in sump skimmer, unless you want to basically diy a skimmer out of the ae400 parts.
Old 06/25/2007, 04:41 PM
El Jefe de WRS

The neck overflow feature is still a problem. It the waterline, for any reason, were to raise above the reducer level... you would be screwed.
Old 06/25/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

to really do it, so that wouldnt happen, you would have to take the cone out of the body, fix that little weep hole, and make a new conventional cone/neck and collection cup. it would have to be a completely different skimmer.
Old 06/25/2007, 05:23 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Yeah, in which case, you might as well get a Recirc 265 instead. Sure, its 8" diameter rather than 10, but thats no big deal. 8" is still enough to handle up to about 1800lph depending on how well you can limit the water turbulence. The neck on the 265 though, I would rate at about 1000-1200lph max though. So well within the diameter of the body. Same goes for the 400 IMO. Sure, its 10" diameter, but thats mostly to handle the turbulence from all the water that these pumps throw around. The neck diameter isnt large enough to handle much more than 1000-1200lph either.

So a single mesh modded eheim 1262 is what Im using on mine...

That puts me in the 1000lph range with this skimmer... and remarkably, not very turbulent.
Old 06/25/2007, 05:30 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Some of you may recall that I also have an eheim threadwheel that I can get up to 1800lph with because I bored out the outlet and bonded a 1" union to the face of the pump.

There were two reasons I chose not to use that pump. One was that 1500-1800lph on this skimmer would be overkill, and the second was that because of the way this pump gets mounted on the body, the weight of the pump gets put on the outlet and inlet piping. The modification to enlarge the outlet of the eheim weakens the outlet a bit. It would be enough if the plumbing from underneath with directly under, but otherwise, I would have to make some sort of pump holder bracket to hold that other pump in place w/o breaking off the outlet (just speculation... it might be fine, but this other 1262 I have is just a safer bet). Being that 1000lph is overkill anyways... I just left it stock with this pump.

Notice how I swapped all the metric piping for US at the unions? The metric pipe is the same ID as 3/4" PVC pipe... but I had to machine out the union couplings to make a perfect fit to bond the PVC to with weldon 16. Works great!
Old 06/25/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Is yours running yet Hahn...any chance for stock output measurements in regards to skimmate output for before and after?
Old 06/25/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

hmm, i'll measure the area in my sump tonight and see which one i can fit in there
Old 06/25/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

yea... i got my cs8-2 doing exactly what i want, and it is smaller, more maneuverable, and a recirc. plus i just have a 155, so its plenty. i think im gonna sell my classic 400. maybe with the 2 aquabees. i have to think about it. im really impressed with the performance of the mods.
with all the problems, i wonder if i could get a refund. i think i might email hoops.
Old 06/25/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

skwirl, say it ain't so! Personally with the aquabees I would just keep the classic 400 and sell the cs8-2 and forget about the stupid king 590s.
Old 06/25/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

i though abou tthat, but with the size of the 8-2, and the fact i can run it externally, i gotta keep it. i might want to go reef one day, and need that extra room under the stand. plus.. i feel connected to the er now that i have really done a serious mod. it was my first.
Old 06/26/2007, 12:09 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by HoopsGuru
Is yours running yet Hahn...any chance for stock output measurements in regards to skimmate output for before and after?
You mean do I have the eheim one running yet? No. Not yet. Soon (a few days). I just have to plumb it in next to the tank, but I have some other projects to complete first.

I couldnt get the second uniseal to seal completely on the other side, so tomorrow Im going to heat and bend a piece of 1/4" acrylic to just cover it, and bond it on with weldon. The hole there is pretty much useless anyways now.
Old 06/26/2007, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

I think with all of the problems with these pumps aqua euro would try change the pump not just replace them with more of the same.These (NEW) pumps should have been inspected by there techs. They should make a public statment on this board not just this thread of what the problem is and what they are going to do to fix it and REALLY FIX IT not just give you people who bought these skimmers more fualty pumps. Thats just my opinion.This is not Hoops fualt. Now that you all are getting the(NEW)pumps aqua euro is to blame for not cheking these pumps out.
Old 06/26/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skwirl
plus.. i feel connected to the er now that i have really done a serious mod. it was my first.
it popped your "mod cherry" lol!!
Old 06/26/2007, 09:17 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by Rwinfrey
...These (NEW) pumps should have been inspected by there techs...
ROFL...

what techs?
Old 06/26/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

techs...........amusing
Old 06/26/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

I just got my "replacement" pumps today. Very funny. Almost worth the shipping just to see what they come up with next... almost. I'm getting off this crazy train and buying some real pumps.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 06/26/2007, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the photos. Apparently, the first replacement pumps back from the manufacturer have the thin covering on the metal plating, ones manufactured after, have a thicker epoxy and are the ones currently going out. I received my pumps on the 21st and they have the thick epoxy, I am not sure why there is this mix. I was told that some of the backs were removed just to make sure the plating was covered. In regards to "techs", there are no guys in suits waiting to inspect and failsafe everything. AEUSA outsources their pumps and thus goes by the word of the manufacturer. All they did was check to make sure there was no exposed plating (although I don't appreciate the broken tabs for everyone but I guess there is no other way to check).

If anyone is not satisfied with their pumps, by all means contact AEUSA and request the thicker epoxy. I believe they have already PROVEN that they want to work with customers, even if they are stumbling getting a perfect replacement out. I think we have to look at what they HAVE done recently which isn't easy, going through an outsourced company overseas to receive replacement pumps for all of their customers....in a matter of weeks. Sure, we all expect perfection yesterday (myself included) but it isn't possible. You wouldn't believe some of the customer service demands I deal with, and I don't even have a manufacturing company.

If anyone doesn't like the 590 pumps though, that is a different matter. AEUSA is responsible for replacing the deficient pumps with working ones, and even if it takes a few tries they still must be allowed time to do so. They are not responsible for producing better pumps, as the 590 does its job. It may not knock anyone's socks off and will not satisfy high end skimmer users, but it is the original pump that everyone saw in plenty of videos produces a pretty good amount of skimmate on various tanks. If anyone wants a refund, unfortunately, this will have to be taken up with AEUSA as I will only replace units that arrive in a non-working condition. If you feel too much time has been spent getting you guys working and safe 590 pumps, by all means see if you can work something out with the company as we all have different opinions on things. However, I personally do not think they owe anyone a refund if they are able to provide the thicker epoxied pump units to anyone that wants them. Everyone is trying to do their best.

In lighter news, AEUSA is searching for a new pump manufacturer. Unfortunately, this is not an instant process. Will it include better pumps in regards to LPH I have no idea but at the least it will be a company that has its priorities in regards to quality more in line with the Hamilton/AEUSA brand.

Mistakes happen, with the new pumps I will continue to use the Classic 400 on my 180g until I find a skimmer for cheaper that works as well out of the box. I don't have the time nor tools for modding and won't be going that route. If I find something else, I'll be sure to sell it.
Old 06/26/2007, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Hoops, thanks. I just spoke with Johnnie and they are sending me a RA for the pumps they sent me and are sending me new pumps with the thicker resin. Hopefully this will be the end of it.

I agree with you, these are the pumps I paid for and these are the pumps I should expect. However, at a certain point, if I cannot get the pumps I paid for (SW safe), then a reasonable alternative or credit should be offered. I will keep you posted.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
Solaris H4
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
Nanostream 6055
LifeReef LCR1