Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 07:35 PM
One Good Friend

They may be harder to clean but the pump is not restricted at all so your getting the full output of your pump......ever wonder why a BK is set up like that? Its because you'll get all the pump is worth this way and not put all the pressure on it. Its worth the tradeoff imo.
Old 10/22/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

its funny that they don't show the surface skimmer for that model though.. it's gotta be different than the one for the skimmer you have since it has to fit around the pump... any pictures of the actual surface skimmer for that model? I'm on the fence with which one I want to get.. the internal or the regular w/ surface skimmer.. I'm just getting fed up with my remora, I'm going to have to stop feeding my fish so much since it doesn't seem to get much skimmate after a week.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 10/22/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Please...more feedback on the one with the internal pump. I am thinking of getting one.

I'm broke!
Old 10/22/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Darn my dad just emptied the collection cup. Well I'll give ya a update in the next few days. Let me know what you would like to know about the skimmer. My skimmer has been runnning for a week and I have no clue when a skimmer fully breaks in. I still have some minor micros but it doesnt bug me its not a eye sore, most of it is near the surface of the tank. The skimmer stops skimming if you feed your fish, like every skimmer and selcon makes the skimmer shot out alot of micros. I am still looking for the sweet spot, as luke mentioned no pressure on the pump means to me it might have a different sweet spot that what PIankton showed. so far I am getting pee yellow like the pics shown by venge. I know there are a few others who have already purchased the internal pump one but have not given their reviews yet, I have seen a few posts asking about them but no reviews from others. And for thoes who want to use the surface skimmer for the internal pump one you have no choice but to shorten the intake or else the box will be subermged and useless for skimming. It still has a purpose which is to stop a fish from swimming up there.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:22 PM
One Good Friend

Usually it will take a month or so to find your sweet spot that you like. The first two weeks are just breaking in skimming.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

I thought breaking in a skimmer only took 2 or 3 days guess I was mislead by others. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

This remora of mine throws a TON of micro bubbles in my tank.. total eye sore. I think that's a problem with that kind of return.. just a flow out. It just drops into the water causing bubbles as well. I'd imagine that it'd be a problem with that Rogue skimmer as well. But what do I know other than I want a different skimmer and it sucks that I paid for this one!

Old 10/22/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

was it earlier in this thread that someone said that the new versions of this skimmer will be out soon? Like the HOB recirc model w/ bubble plate? I wonder if it's worth waiting for newer models...

Old 10/22/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Yeah luke mentioned it will be out soon maybe in a couple of months or so. But what I dont understand is that the extra pump doesnt have a venturi attached to it. And its intake is also sucking water out from the same place as the the first pump./ So whats the benefits of having the extra pump there if it doesnt shoot in air? Im trying to understand their design better care to chime in luke?

Last edited by happyface888; 10/22/2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:18 PM
One Good Friend

I don't think the pic tells all the story. We'll just have to wait and see about this one. If both pump's don't push air, then its a total waste of design. But i guarantee they both push air.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Do you think the neck can handle two pumps shooting up bubbles up there? mine looks pretty white with white bubbles like their display pic here

If it can handle two pumps someone should take that pump out and throw a qo1200 in there since it wouldnt mater if the outlet isnt centered. Now for the price just curious how much this thing will go for?
Old 10/22/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
This remora of mine throws a TON of micro bubbles in my tank.. total eye sore. I think that's a problem with that kind of return.. just a flow out. It just drops into the water causing bubbles as well. I'd imagine that it'd be a problem with that Rogue skimmer as well. But what do I know other than I want a different skimmer and it sucks that I paid for this one!
From what I learned is that all hob skimmers still shoot micros back into the tank. Some skimmers can shoot too much some spews a few micros that arent a eye sore.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

My Remora started to spew out a ton of microbubbles after a couple of years, that's why I got the 100. Even though I pulled the sponge out of the return, there are only a few micros in the tank now.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

It will be interesting to see what the cost of this one is. Maybe I will wait a while to see. My Prizm Deluxe Pro is working just fine so it is not real pressing that I get one ASAP. However my Prizm Deluxe on my frag tank is another story. It takes FOREVER to get a 1/2 cup of scum from that tank. It has 3 fish a dozen snail, a dozen or so hermits and an emerald crab, so I know there is junk needed to be to skimmed out.

I'm broke!
Old 10/22/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I'd sell that prizm pro delux and use that money in exchange for a new skimmer. for a odd reason they still sell up to 200 dollars.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

On the picture a few posts back there, the one of the 100f working w/o the collection cup in it, it appears to have a set-screw to possibly raise or lower the intake syphon tube. Happyface, is this true or is that an old photo and not an option? It seems as though you could raise the tube up to get the surface skimmer to match your water height...

Old 10/23/2007, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Nevermind, answered my own question.. page 9 shows yours in the box with the intake tube coming through the plexi as opposed to the picture above where the tube is going up and over the plexi.. wonder why they changed that?

Old 10/23/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I noticed that too. I think they changed it because it wasnt too safe to use as a hang on skimmer. The screw can come loose and you got yourself a floodable skimmer. Doesnt seem safe, since it usese the arms to sit on the tank.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:19 PM
Moved On

VengefulNemesis,
Do you like you octo better than your old remora ? Also happyface888, doy you run carbon or anything else in the las chamber...could it be done ? I am still torn between the octo internal, (same as happyface888) or the rouge.... i dont know what to think about my remora pro with mag 3 , i have a quiet one 3600 laying around, its about 900 gph so i might try it on my remora, i have a very light bio load..lost most of my livestock when i moved to my new house, however my remora has only pulled wet green skimmate about half a cup worth a week or dry about 1 to 2 " inches of light brown dry skimmate a week. its on a 72 gal bow
Old 10/23/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

Reefnut
Yes you can put checmical or mechanical filtration back there.I havent put anything back there in the chamber yet. But I can put filter floss, carbon, phosban or any filtration. And also the chamber is pretty big. I can pratically stack a few chemical filtration stuff in there. Right Now I just stuck my heater in there so I see one less eq and it gives a cleaner look with one less eq hanging around in the tank. I think luke mentioned its not a good idea to put a bigger pump on remoras because all it does is give you a wetter skimmate.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:37 PM
One Good Friend

The pump isn't going to help the remora, they are designed to skim exactly what you are getting. As far as putting chemical filtration and floss in the skimmer, you can but it may cause your skimmer to have backpressure and raise your water level in your skimmer body for wet skimmate. But should be ok if you don't go overboard.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

But even if it raisese the water the cup can be raised higher since it has that rubber band.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:47 PM
Moved On

in another thread, about h.o.b skimmers jkims wrote:

I have had a remora for almost 3 years now and only saw dramatic increases in skim after I upped the circulation in my tank (i.e. kept detritus suspended and kept gas exchange - surface agitation high). IME this made more of a difference than any pump feeding the skimmer, making skimmable waste reach the pump is the most important factor in any hob.

I get a few cups a week on a remora with my current set up at 55x turnover after getting the same amount of skim every month when I was at a 25x turnover with the same bioload.

Look at all the recent hob threads and keep an objective view on who posts, what experience they have with the skimmer that they are praising or slamming (for example the rogue that nobody praising has any first hand experience with), and see what is ignored what is put on a pedestal. Ironically, everyone of the people who routinely slam the remora on these threads continues to praise skimmers that they dont have personal experiences with yet they are some of the most outspoken people on this issue.

The rogue has not proved itself better than any hob skimmer (except through its own marketing). My own pics of skim from a remora with a mj1200 show that I get WAY more skimmate than anyone has shown with a rogue so far. Why are the same people praising the rogue (which they have no personal experience with) and slamming the remora? Hype rules this hobby unfortunately. And I know they are going to respond with the same will it has 3x's the air input and cost the same arguement. No one outside of bermuda reps have measured that without debate, the rogue has a microbubble problem, and remoras can be easily found in the used equipment forum for less than $100.

The rogue, the typhoon, the modified octo's really have never shown any more success than the remoras. Drop the vendetta. As a matter of fact I posted some one day shots of skim on a remora to prove that I get a lot of skim and they got ignored. It is kind of annoying to see that every hob thread is dominated by the same few people (who mainly admit not to have first hand experience) knocking skimmers and recommending skimmers that are themselves reviewed poorly or not recommended at all.

I jusst installed a wavy sea and a t4 veloicty pump and i can already tell a diffrence with my skimmer for the better .....

hapyface...what kind of bioload do you have on your skimmer?
Does bio load really affect the color and denisty of the skimmate that much.....
Old 10/23/2007, 12:56 PM
One Good Friend

Bioload makes a huge difference when it comes to skimming and color. I"m pretty sure jkins could add a mediocre hot skimmer to his tank and it would skim 5x's what the remora does. Once again, i wouldn't suggest the remora, but if you would like to buy one there's tons of people begging you to take it from them as they realize there terrible. Its the most popular skimmer for sale on teh used forum......makes you wonder why?
Old 10/23/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Heres what I have in my 45g,
1 coral beauty
1 bicolor blenny
2 ocellaris clowns
1 6line wrasse
1 yellow tail damse
Few Zoas
Few Mushrooms
some Anthielias
1 Tube anemone