Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2004, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Now is four hours in to the Interceptor treatment I look with my magnifying glass it is some bugs in the acros but no movement looks like they are dead .
i will wait two more hour and look again for a live Bugs and change water the only thing i find that is out of wack is my PH now at 7.7.
Old 04/15/2004, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Is any one use some Kalkwasser to pump up the PH ? and if Kalk will interfered with the treatment ?
Thanks for been patient with me.
Old 04/15/2004, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Well all when just perfect I never dose any Kalk soon as the lights came on the PH when up I did a 35 G water change and I use 40oz of carbon right on the six hour mark.
I put the skimmer back on, was not skimming much just like nothing was put in the water.
All of my adult shrimp was not effected by the Interceptor the only casualty was one acro crab and all of the RED BUGS.
Thanks .
Old 04/15/2004, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Glad it was a success. Do yourself a favor and do those follow up treatments!

Dustin
Old 04/15/2004, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin
Glad it was a success. Do yourself a favor and do those follow up treatments!

Dustin
Can I do the follow up treatments in ten days ?
Thanks .
Old 04/15/2004, 05:45 PM
Reefaholic

Dustin,

Your instructions state to do a 25%? water change immediately after 6 hours and i believe that is states to do them again the next day or so afterwards.

Then it states to do 2 follow-up treatments. Does this medication lose its potency after time in our tanks? Or does running carbon and skimming get rid of it?

Otherwise, i could potentially see the concentration of this medication in our tanks go up by the end of the 3 doses pretty significantly since each time we do a water change, its not getting all of the medication out.

So i suppose higher concentrations won't cause problems?
Old 04/16/2004, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Here's an update almost two weeks after my first dose.

There are still no sign of red bugs. Polyp extension is great and the effected corals are showing signs of improved color and growth.

One thing I did notice is that I'm getting patches of cyno for the first time in a long while. No detectible raise in nitrates and such, but I think this is definitely an effect of the dosing. A buddy of mine suggested that this is due to the die off of all of my mysis and pods. I have a 175 refugium that was full of them. I've started doing more frequent water changes to combat the cyno.

I have also been having a tuff time getting my skimmer to work right, especially the first week after dosing. It's just now starting to produce like is was pre-dosing. I wonder if that's also a factor in the cyno.

Art
Old 04/16/2004, 03:02 PM
Moderator Clone

Okay, here's my experience -

I took the treatment instructions to my dogs' vet. Since my tank is only an 80, I didn't necessarily need the "big dog" version of Interceptor. The vet had recently expired sample packs of the smaller dog version, and gave them to me (one pill per pack).

After figuring out the amount of medication required for my tank from the larger pills, and comparing that to the amount of medication in the smaller pills, it looked like I needed about 2/3 of a pill for a treatment (for about 60 gallons of capacity).

My tank was not heavily infested - you had to look carefully on certain corals and know what you were looking for to see the bugs. I dosed the my tank per the instructions. 6 hours later, I couldn't see any red bugs left (but keep in mind, there weren't that many to start with). Strangely enough, neither the single large cleaner shrimp nor the two peppermint shrimp seemed effected (couldn't catch them to remove them). I did a 20 gallon water change - so about 1/3 of the estimated capacity. Ran carbon and started the skimmer back up.

Two weeks later, the red bugs were back. Since the larger shrimp didn't seem to be effected, my thoughts were that either I underdosed, or the expired medication was less potent than it should have been. I retreated the tank (three weeks after the initial treatment) - but this time used a full smaller dog pill. After 6 hours, my larger shrimp still weren't effected, so I added an additional 1/2 pill and let the treatment continue for 4 more hours.

At the end of this 10 hour period, one peppermint shrimp was dead, and one was wobbling (managed to catch that one and transfer it to another tank). No red bugs visible. Did a 15 gallon water change (about 1/4, based upon estimated capacity), added carbon and started the skimmer.

It's been two weeks since the last treatment, and no signs of the red bugs returning. The only casualties were the two peppermint shrimp (the second one died overnight in the tank I moved it to). Serpent star, large cleaner shrimp, snails, cucumber, urchins, fish, corals, and macro algae all seemed to take the treatment without any negative effects.

Anyway, just my experience...
Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 04/16/2004, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

The day after.

Well I don't think I underdosed
The acro crabs and all my small crustaceans are dead .
non of my large shrimps are effected by the RX .
I saw same small patches of cyno, My skimmer was very slow taking any thing out .
Overall I'm very happy with the treatment.
This is just my opinion , I don't think the skimmer will take the interceptor out of the tank I think we need to use more carbon and just for a longer time,and do more water changes.
Old 04/17/2004, 06:41 AM
I hate the Yankees

Still looking for Interceptor
Old 04/17/2004, 07:00 AM
cnidarian vigilante

A local vet doesn't have it?
Old 04/17/2004, 07:06 AM
I hate the Yankees

I dont even have a cat never mind a dog
Old 04/17/2004, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Doesnt matter if you have no pets, as your friends what vet they go to. Pay that person a visit, print out the instructions and see what happens. Worst case you get shot down, if so pick a different vet, there are a lot of them. Don't be too afraid, they are allowed to prescribe it to you if you arent using it on a dog.
Old 04/17/2004, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Some of you guys are wusses! Lol....

I have a dog, but I have a small dog(scottie). So I went to our normal vet and asked them for some interceptor. He asked why I wanted the large, and made sure that It wasnt for my dog. I printed him out a sheet of info that dustin has posted and he said no problem, as long as i dont give it to my dog.

I am fairly sure most any vet will give it to you regardless of wether you have a dog or cat or whatever.
Old 04/17/2004, 05:02 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by 3_high_low
Has anyone had the bugs disappear on their own? Mine are gone. I cannot find a single one. I have not use dthe medication!
Nevermind. I still have the darn bugs!
Old 04/17/2004, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

3_high_low

Quote:
Nevermind. I still have the darn bugs!
You need to get some interceptor and do the treatment.
your corals will thank you
Old 04/17/2004, 05:32 PM
Reefer

I have some Interceptor. I'm filling a barrell for the water exchanges as we speak. I have so many crustaceans though....

I'm discussing what to do with my Lorikeet, he doesn't speak so clearly, I think he's saying to get going and stop procrastinating
Old 04/17/2004, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3_high_low
I have some Interceptor. I'm filling a barrell for the water exchanges as we speak. I have so many crustaceans though....

I'm discussing what to do with my Lorikeet, he doesn't speak so clearly, I think he's saying to get going and stop procrastinating
The interceptor wiped out all of my small crustaceans and some red scarlet hermit crabs but non of my red and cleaner shrimp was kill.
The are full grown shrimps just to let you know.
Old 04/18/2004, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

sweet. thats some good news. man i have a blood shrimp in my tank and i was worried about that. anyone with left over interceptors that they are willing to "share."

The greatest battles aren't fought on the batlefield, they are fought in your mind: Conquer your mind, conquer the world.
Old 04/18/2004, 03:57 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Is it possible for the bugs to exist ON shrimp?
Has anyone done any close inspections of them?
I ask because I am wondering if taking out the shrimp would then be a good plan if wwe are just reintroducing the bugs that reside on their bodies.
Same with the shells of hermit crabs.
Old 04/18/2004, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

I dont think it is, but anything is possible.
Old 04/18/2004, 09:37 PM
Coral Assassin

I can't seem to get my hands on any of this stuff! If anyone has any to sell me, please shoot me a pm =D
Old 04/18/2004, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Here is before treatment ,and after four days pictures of my SPS frag.

Before

After
Old 04/19/2004, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

Nice pics Zoom. Any noticeable changes in the coral(s) yet?

Interestingly enough....
I was at the Midwest Marine Conference this past weekend, and got to see Eric Borneman give a presentation on his current works in progress, and he showed some information about the bugs. He's just getting involved with them, but had some photomicrographs, and some video taken through the microscope as well. The section of video I saw, showed, what was rather unmistakable IMO, a tiny red bug, digging head first, into an acropora branch.

I know I've been a bit hesitant to rule these buggers out as a parasite from the begining... I'm just an 'innocent until proven guilty' kinda guy... but man. That video was far better than any glove left at the crime scene. Jeeeze, the thing just kept diving face first into the coral, then pull back, bam, dive in again.. the video was only about 10 seconds long, but after seeing that.... I think I'm finally convinced. I wish Eric could/would publish that section of video online somewhere's. After seeing it, I'm sure some of the other hesitant folks, will have a chance of heart, too. The photographs he had were no different really than the stuff we've seen and talked about here, but that video was rather convincing. I can't for the life of me think of another thing that animal could possibly be doing, besides taking bite's out of that coral.

- Mac
Old 04/19/2004, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Nice pics Zoom. Any noticeable changes in the coral(s) yet?
I think the corals look much better now
Some reefer said the bugs don't like some SPS, i think they are everywhere at all of my corals, we just can not see them, all of my SPS extending there polyps more now day or night .
This is just my opinion I think the RX stays in the water longer than we think it is .
Is still killing some small crustaceans in my tank after four days I'm going to wait at list two more weeks for treatment #2.