Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Good to hear all's doing well, with the exception of the wrasse

As for your upgrade, go the 125, I couldn't imagine giving up my fav's for any reason.You will then have an excuse to upgrade again later, to the 240
You'll then have a spare tank that could be converted to a sump, refugium or whatever your needs

Cheers

Chris
Old 12/07/2007, 11:05 AM
Girls Rule!

Thanks =) Yes, I was thinking that the 125 could be converted so it wouldn't be a waste of money as well. I would miss my 75 thread tho! lol
Old 12/07/2007, 05:56 PM
Girls Rule!

Friday Update!

Okay! I worked on the tank today and did a lot of scraping and cleaning. It's still not where it needs to be, but it looks much better then it did yesterday. It actually looks like a tank again. I really can't believe how bad we let it get.

I removed most of the mushrooms that I could and placed them into my nano tank. I am done with mushrooms in my large display. They just populate way too much and I can't control them. I also tried to remove as much coraline algae as I could from the front and sides. I have to wait until I get my nanostream holders before I can work on the sides more.

I also did a 15g water change and will repeate again in a few days. My nitrates were really high and it's been way too long since I did a WC. Everyone seems okay and happy though and the rest of the levels tested good.

Here are some photos from this afternoon. I will try and get a FTS tonight once the water clears a little bit more.

Oreo - Zebra Eel

Eightball & Orca - Ora Black Clown Pair

Red lobo I bought for $25 at LFS. It's grown and doing really good.

Watermellon zoas. Sorry about the missed streak through the photo!

Fire & Ice zoas. They have grown a ton.

Ocean - Powder Blue Tang =) I <3 Ocean

Ocean

I also found this crawling around the sandbed. It's orange and pink and like a worm/catepillar.

Anyone have any ideas what it is? It's sitting in a cup right now I'm scared to put it back but it's so pretty I hate to kill it.
Old 12/07/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Looks like a bristle worm to me, but I'm not real sure. If you can put it in your sump, maybe until it gets id.

I definately wouldn't put it back in your tank untill then though, as it could be a fireworm. Nasty little buggers. I have a few in my tank, which I'm trying to get rid off.

If it is a common bristle worm ie not a fireworm, which fall under the same name, it will be beneficial, so lets hope that's what it is. I would post a pic over the other invertebrates forum, as their will be more knowledgeable people there that can help

Cheers

Chris
Old 12/07/2007, 08:43 PM
Huge Member

Its a bristleworm.

Personally, I'd sump it. I don't go hunting for them, but if I see one I'll sump it just because I can and to limit the population in the DT.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/07/2007, 09:01 PM
TRC Leader

Finally some pictures.

Ocean looks beautiful, and your tank looks nice and clean. I can't make out the little guy you got, so if you could get a closer macro shot of it, that might help (me at least).
Old 12/07/2007, 09:25 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright

If it is a common bristle worm ie not a fireworm, which fall under the same name, it will be beneficial, so lets hope that's what it is. I would post a pic over the other invertebrates forum, as their will be more knowledgeable people there that can help

Cheers

Chris
Thanks =)
Old 12/07/2007, 09:25 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
Its a bristleworm.

Personally, I'd sump it. I don't go hunting for them, but if I see one I'll sump it just because I can and to limit the population in the DT.
Thanks
Old 12/07/2007, 09:27 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Finally some pictures.

Ocean looks beautiful, and your tank looks nice and clean. I can't make out the little guy you got, so if you could get a closer macro shot of it, that might help (me at least).
Thanks Marc =) It's getting there! Really nice to be able to see shimmer effects again lol. Sorry, my camera won't get any better detail that's as close as I can get
Old 12/07/2007, 09:29 PM
Girls Rule!

Best FTS I could get tonight =)

Old 12/07/2007, 09:35 PM
TRC Leader

I don't even see the flatworms. That's a heck of a camera.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:41 PM
Girls Rule!

The camera is okay... it's more me then it.. but I can't figure out how to get a good FTS shot. It's got to do with the white balance.. but I just can't figure it out.

The flatworms are about 90% gone. I should treat now but I was thinking about waiting until March when we move and do it then. I'm still really nervous too.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

The beauty of a setup such as this is the ability to let it go for a few weeks and not have to worry about everything crashing (such as an SPS tank). This is ultimately the goal I'm going after - there may be a time period that I can't devote hours a day to the tank, and I don't want it to go all downhill in that time. With just a little bit of attention, your tank looks good as new.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

your tank has come a long way since i first saw ur thread posted! ocean is looking great and oreo has grown just a tad! how are ur flying "rats" lol. been a while since ive seen ur thread. hows the house coming along?

>>Click The Red House To See My Solana 34 Gal All In one Build<<
Old 12/08/2007, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Future Fish Room Update!

Here is a photo of the new fish room in our new house. They have started constructing that part now. It's not going to be used only for a fish room, but I'm calling it that =)

Our original goal was to get a 240 in wall on the left hand side... but that's not going to happen right now. Maybe eventually...

in the basement. cool. as is mine. makes it much easier to control temps within the water column...

i take it you have not found your wrasse yet. maybe its part or all of the reason for your high nitrates. which would also explain the algae problem...

Last edited by dga; 12/08/2007 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:21 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
The beauty of a setup such as this is the ability to let it go for a few weeks and not have to worry about everything crashing (such as an SPS tank). This is ultimately the goal I'm going after - there may be a time period that I can't devote hours a day to the tank, and I don't want it to go all downhill in that time. With just a little bit of attention, your tank looks good as new.
Thanks =)

I agree really. Some of the prettiest tanks I've ever seen are SPS dominated, but I'm really not looking to do that. I really like LPS and softies as well as keeping like my zebra eel and fun stuff. I never really wanted to turn my tank into something it's not. It's not impressive like a SPS tank, but it's fun and I enjoy it and that's what I was going for =)

I would like to get a few SPS pieces, but my water quality is just not good with a zebra eel. Maybe I will try a few pieces to see how they do once I upgrade.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:59 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by Devtech
your tank has come a long way since i first saw ur thread posted! ocean is looking great and oreo has grown just a tad! how are ur flying "rats" lol. been a while since ive seen ur thread. hows the house coming along?
Thanks! =)

The house is really coming along now. It's been a lot of fun and really exciting.

The "rats" are great I just had my first pair of twin leucistics born on halloween and they are growing really well and are so cute! Thanks for asking =)

Old 12/08/2007, 01:00 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by dga
in the basement. cool. as is mine. makes it much easier to control temps within the water column...

i take it you have not found your wrasse yet. maybe its part or all of the reason for your high nitrates. which would also explain the algae problem...
Nope =( It's possible, but I think it's more my zebra eel and PBT in a 75 that's causing the problems. Def time for an upgrade.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:20 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Thanks =)

I agree really. Some of the prettiest tanks I've ever seen are SPS dominated, but I'm really not looking to do that. I really like LPS and softies as well as keeping like my zebra eel and fun stuff. I never really wanted to turn my tank into something it's not. It's not impressive like a SPS tank, but it's fun and I enjoy it and that's what I was going for =)
You're such a girl.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:21 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
I would like to get a few SPS pieces, but my water quality is just not good with a zebra eel. Maybe I will try a few pieces to see how they do once I upgrade.
Ah ha! So you ARE going to upgrade. That's what I like to hear.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:22 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
The "rats" are great I just had my first pair of twin leucistics born on halloween and they are growing really well and are so cute! Thanks for asking =)

Those little guys are so adorable. Go start a thread in the lounge or the photography forum so we can talk about them all the time. That way I won't have to get any, and can just enjoy yours vicariously.

They look like Anime to me, like little Pikachus.
Old 12/08/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Nope =( It's possible, but I think it's more my zebra eel and PBT in a 75 that's causing the problems. Def time for an upgrade.
i meant if your wrasse is dead (bummer) and behind a rock somewhere, that of coarse would be enough to cause some of your nitrate problems.

"PBT" ???

great photo of "the rats" on that tie died blanket/sheet/whatever.
how perfect of a pic would it be with them on a solid bright red background.
great photography skills nanogurl...
Old 12/08/2007, 06:46 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
You're such a girl.
You're such a reef nerd :P
Old 12/08/2007, 06:48 PM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Ah ha! So you ARE going to upgrade. That's what I like to hear.
haha :P I guess so. 125 here we come? I would miss this thread though.. the thought of starting another one over is depressing!
Old 12/08/2007, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Those little guys are so adorable. Go start a thread in the lounge or the photography forum so we can talk about them all the time. That way I won't have to get any, and can just enjoy yours vicariously.

They look like Anime to me, like little Pikachus.
LOL marc u read my mind, i was just thinking they do look like little pokemon ahhh those were the days LOL