Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 10/13/2006, 11:14 PM
Nature is my valium =)

It is actual scale weight vs. medical weight terminology of the amount of drug in the pill... 23mg active drug in pill but weigh out 25 actual mg on a scale of the crushed pill powder.

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F
Old 10/14/2006, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

I used a whole pill on my 240 system. no more bugs and no side effects unless better color, growth and polyp extension are side effects..
Old 10/14/2006, 08:40 AM
Nothing to put here

Quote:
Originally posted by pham411
wow, k thats a difference, did i do the math wrong or is eric off on the dosage?

http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes...0treatment.htm
There are 23 mg of the active ingredient in each pill. Each pill weighs more than 23 mg due to the flavoring, binders, etc.
Old 10/14/2006, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

When I did my treatments (both times) I did the first treatment with an extra 25% over the reccomended dosage, the next 2 treatments I did at the recomended dosage. Even at those rates my pod life still didn't die off completely and what did came back very quickly, which in a way makes me wonder if I should have treated longer with an even higher dose? If pods can make it through then can't the Bugs. Also I did get them a second time and from the first to the second I put in very few new corals and treated all in coming corals and QT'd them. But I still got them again. On Eric B's web site he does note the Bugs becoming immune to the treatment...
Old 10/14/2006, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
There are 23 mg of the active ingredient in each pill. Each pill weighs more than 23 mg due to the flavoring, binders, etc.
icic, thanks... that was easily confusing... geez i wouldve been the only guy posting on RC with bad results from treating my tank....haha thatnks for clearing it up.
Old 10/14/2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

i dont think you can overdose with interceptor...jmo
Old 10/14/2006, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
i dont think you can overdose with interceptor...jmo
I would agree a friend did one pill at once on his 120, for a one time treatment and it nuked every last bug, but he did do more then the usualy water cahnges.
Old 10/14/2006, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

After treating five times with low interseptor all the bug came back. After that did one pill ounce on my 200G total water volume and i saw no more bugs for two years now anything new getting nuked before is going to the tank..
Old 10/14/2006, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blstravler
Ditto.

FYI this is slowly turing into the new DSB or BB debate so be careful I've had A LOT of people send me nasty PM's and tell me I have no idea what I am doing and that I am a poor reefkeeper because I live with them in my tank. Do what you think is best for your tank, but you can live with them just keep the rest of your tank in line (water quality, etc) and you can be fine; just my opinion and experience.
I agree it has been the same for me and I know the sharks have been waiting for me to join this one

Also the dog has fleas analogy is played out
Old 10/14/2006, 10:24 PM
Free Thinker

For what it's worth, I don't think this is anything like the DSB- BB debate. It's two totally different concepts. People going BB are trying to better there aquarium by reducing wastes and hoping to in-turn, grow healthier corals. They have a choice. No one "goes RB" on purpose to better there aquarium. It's not something you choose to do. It's something you either choose to deal with, or not.

How about the Herpes analogy? That one played out yet?
Gotta love it!

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian
Old 10/14/2006, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
For what it's worth, I don't think this is anything like the DSB- BB debate. It's two totally different concepts. People going BB are trying to better there aquarium by reducing wastes and hoping to in-turn, grow healthier corals. They have a choice. No one "goes RB" on purpose to better there aquarium. It's not something you choose to do. It's something you either choose to deal with, or not.
You missed my entire point totally.....

My point being the DSB / BB debate got very nasty, as does the live with or without Red Bugs debate every time.
Old 10/15/2006, 07:11 AM
Free Thinker

No, I see your point and no offense but I just don't agree. Im not a "shark", I just find it funny that you guys post in every thread that gets started about RB's, and then announce that everyone will attack you. Are you guys looking for a sympathy vote? If people send you nasty PM's it's pretty easy to forward it to a mod and get it taken care of. Now I don't send nasty PM's, I just read the crap posted and laugh. When I see people post things like wishing they had less PE, or telling people that the reason RB's have a bad effect is b/c there tank conditions are not up to par, it's very easy to see why you guys cause such a controversy. Theres so many threads on RC that get "Nasty" and the reason is b/c people comment w/o any experience or proof, just disbelief. If you guys shot up some detailed pics before and after RB's, and everything looked kosher, I think you would be able to prove your point. With no proof, it's gonna be the same argument everytime. When you read what clkwrk just posted, it looks like he came in here looking to start an argument, and then you guys are complaining about getting attacked! Reminds me alot of that kids book "The boy who cried wolf".

On a side note...good luck w/ your recovery Blues, surgery sucks!

Serj Tankian
Old 10/15/2006, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

I never mentioned any names? Are you guilty? If not why respond?If you take my post as a comment trolling for an argument why bother wasting your time to type? I have nothing left to argue go back thru the other rb threads and you will see what I have to say . That is why I have said almost nothing here. All of my post are not speculation they are my experience.Also they are not my 1-3 month experiences either . I have more experience than you assume.

IMHO its not 100% kosher that we dump interceptor in our tank. We wouldn't go dumping interceptor in the ocean to kill the red bugs in the ocean.
Old 10/15/2006, 09:43 AM
SPS Freak

That is true but the ocean has it's natual predators that keep this in check. Our tanks do not have the diversity of the ocean, thus other measures. Beside the genocide of little guy in our tank, I think it is necessary personally. Yes some can live with them but like I said before, there is something in your tank keeping them in check. Otherwise they would be covering your corals.

It's your decision to live or kill them but it seems like a few are saying that there are no issues and it isn't a big deal. IMO, I think it is wrong to tell someone that.

Fine if you want to tell them, YOU have no issues, but I wouldn't convince them to keep them unless they want to.

People on this board LOVE to argue lol.
Old 10/15/2006, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

I agree it has been the same for me and I know the sharks have been waiting for me to join this one (clkwrk)

your gonna need a bigger boat
Old 10/15/2006, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

For those who have treated their tanks, did the treatment kill sea stars, urchins, and/or fan worms?

Allen
Old 10/15/2006, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

nope.. killed pods.crabs, etc... and killed red bugs... after 3 months my pods are coming back..
Old 10/15/2006, 10:44 AM
Gastropod E.M.T.

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk

IMHO its not 100% kosher that we dump interceptor in our tank. We wouldn't go dumping interceptor in the ocean to kill the red bugs in the ocean.
That's my opinion too. I think there are also alot more people living with them than people think. And most of them seem to be the veteran's with the most experience. I've personally heard from someone you'd all listen to that dosing the tank is not really a good idea. And no, I won't say who. But most of these people worry about flatworm's, not red bug's. The bug's won't nuke you're tank, the only like a few species od acropora and they are easily treated outside the tank if need be.

Just my opinion
Old 10/15/2006, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike O'Brien
That's my opinion too. I think there are also alot more people living with them than people think. And most of them seem to be the veteran's with the most experience. I've personally heard from someone you'd all listen to that dosing the tank is not really a good idea. And no, I won't say who. But most of these people worry about flatworm's, not red bug's. The bug's won't nuke you're tank, the only like a few species od acropora and they are easily treated outside the tank if need be.

Just my opinion
its not 100% kosher to treat with interceptor.. it kills useful crustaceans. that said i would treat again if i had to. my corals have greatly improved since i killed the little bastards.Most reefers agree that this is true. Corals are better off without red bugs on them. Flat worms are by far worse than red bugs obviously. FW can decimate your acros. red bugs wont. IMO this is a dead horse discussion. you either treat or dont treat. agree or disagree.
Old 10/15/2006, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

I don't understand you, you start by some what questioning my or clkwrk's experience and ask us to post pics, when you and I both know clkwrk and I have have posted many pictures of our tanks with bugs.

Then you say go in the opposite direction and say something nice....

Quote:
On a side note...good luck w/ your recovery Blues, surgery sucks!
And I do think you meant it in a nice way, I don't think anyone would make light of of a person having an organ removed. I'm lucky, over 600 internal stitches and 45 staples in my chest and I'm still alive and kickin' all be it slowly.
Old 10/15/2006, 12:30 PM
Catch and release

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferAl
For those who have treated their tanks, did the treatment kill sea stars, urchins, and/or fan worms?

Allen
Quote:
Interceptor only kills arthropods and nematodes.
...at the regular dosage or apparently even at much greater than Dustins recommended dosage. The medication is intended to kill heartworms(nematodes) and mange mites(arthropods) in canines.

Chris
Old 10/15/2006, 01:15 PM
Free Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by clkwrk
I never mentioned any names? Are you guilty? If not why respond?If you take my post as a comment trolling for an argument why bother wasting your time to type? I have nothing left to argue go back thru the other rb threads and you will see what I have to say . That is why I have said almost nothing here. All of my post are not speculation they are my experience.Also they are not my 1-3 month experiences either . I have more experience than you assume.

No, I am not. I was actually using you as an example, not responding to your troll ( Yes, thats exactly what it was). It's also a bit hypocritical to accuse me of that when you have been a "shark" in many of my recent postings. I have read every RB thread on here so I have heard what you have to say. I think you do have experience but you are in denial and don't want to post the facts. IMO it is irrisponsible to say that they have no negative effects on SPS. No one is debating whether or not SPS can still live and grow with them....we all know they can.

I agree that we wouldnt go dumping interceptor in the ocean to get rid of RB's but that is such a bad analogy. We also dont spray all the forests for thirps, aphids, leafminers and harmful insects although in a greenhouse or any closed facility you would. Our corals are in closed systems with specific animals, and a controlled environment. The ocean is EXACTLY the opposite. As Jay24 said, the ocean has natural predators and the biodiversity that creates a balanced ecosystem. It's like comparing apples and sausages.

Serj Tankian

Last edited by Stoney Mahony; 10/15/2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10/15/2006, 01:32 PM
Free Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by blstravler
I don't understand you, you start by some what questioning my or clkwrk's experience and ask us to post pics, when you and I both know clkwrk and I have have posted many pictures of our tanks with bugs.

And I do think you meant it in a nice way, I don't think anyone would make light of of a person having an organ removed. I'm lucky, over 600 internal stitches and 45 staples in my chest and I'm still alive and kickin' all be it slowly.
Yes Blues, I know you guys have posted pics but there far away and blurry. No one is questioning wether or not your corals will live and grow. Many corals are unaffected color wise so that doesnt tell us anything to see a pic of your whole tank with a bunch of corals. If you want to make a statement against what is known to be fact by the vast majority, you should be able to prove it. You can't just expect people to believe it b/c you have a million posts or your profile says youve been reefing for 20 yrs (not you, just an example).

As for the comment...yeah, that was Stoney code for I hope you die? Cumon give me a break! When your feeling defensive I guess it's easy to take everything as an attack. No one is attacking you in this thread, just debating the facts. I actually remembered you posting up that you were having major surgery and that you would be out of commision for a while. You said that this was another reason that you were not treating for RB...b/c you couldn't lift all the water for changes. I thought that it was one of the few good reasons anyone would have not to treat for them. I have actually had major surgery in the past and been out for months and like I said, it sucks. Thats it, your off my prayer list....

Serj Tankian

Last edited by Stoney Mahony; 10/15/2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10/15/2006, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I've seen tanks with redbugs do fine..and I've had stuff go bad that I blamed on red bugs but can't prove as it could have been the combination of red bugs & paremeters.. Me personally now.. I would prefer to treat for red bugs just so I know i'm not spreading them if and when I trade.
Old 10/15/2006, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Stoney- What I was tryign to say to you is that you seem like a nice person when you say things like that but then you go off like some is throwing rocks at your tank. I just want to speak on a subject that I have had experience with and if you want to have a reasonable talk about it that is fine. This board is about learning from others experiences, I'm going back to that now.

Not really a prayer person myself, though after coming close to getting to see the "man up above" my mother is slowly swaying my mind....