Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 03/09/2005, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

58G lighting question?

Just bought a 58g and now that I have the foundation picked out, I'm trying to decide what lighting to go with. This will primarily be an SPS tank so I want to do the lighting right the first time (yes, I'll be starting slowly).

I am really leaning toward the SLS 3ft. dual 250w/39w MH/T5 Maristar fixture, but I am just wondering if this is a good amount of lighting for my setup.

Is this going to be too much light for the lower light demanding SPS if I put them near the bottom of the tank, but still good enough for the higher demanding SPS at the top?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 03/09/2005, 03:57 PM
AEFW Assasinator

I have 250w MH, two 96W PC 10K, and will be adding two T-5 aqua blue. I just set up this tank (tank transfer from a quasi-30ish gallon tank) and everything is doing fine - from Anthelia, to zoos, to SPS - tort is doing fine sitting at the bottom.
Old 03/09/2005, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm also wondering if the T5 bulbs in this setup should be actinics or the blue plus? In other words, what would I gain or lose by using actinics or the blue plus?
Old 03/09/2005, 04:22 PM
AEFW Assasinator

In my particular setup - the 20K Radium bulb is a crisp blue vs. the mega blue 20K XM bulbs. The a single 10K pc bulb would balance it out nicely (imo), but I like bluish vs. blue.

What kind of MH bulb are you getting for your Maristar fixture? The way I look at it is one needs 10K for growth 20k for color or 14k for a good mixture of both in one bulb.

Honestly, you really should go with what visually appeals to you.

check your pm box
Old 03/09/2005, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Now, I haven't totally decided on the Maristar, but it's probably at the top of my list right now. Hopefully, someone who has it on a 3 ft. setup can chime in........

As for the MH, I'm thinking 10k Ushio bulbs, so that's where my question about the actinics vs. blue plus comes in.

The thing is, it's really hard to know what I like when I haven't done this before. Looking online, I can't tell much of a difference, so maybe it's not that big of a deal. I was just hoping there were some out there that have tried both and could give me their experiences, but in the end, I know it's personal preference.
Old 03/09/2005, 05:04 PM
SPS Kibitzer

sounds good! I think water quality is more important than lighintng, regardless I have a 58 with 2x 250 Watt HQI 14K 2x95 Watt Vho Actinics and have had great sucess
Old 03/09/2005, 07:54 PM
troublemaker

I ran 2 x 175w MH + 2 x 55w PC actinic on a PFO parallel reflector for quite a while - upgraded to 2 x 250 a while ago on my 58.

Not that huge a difference IMO, but like how there are few shadows like when I had just one bulb over it.

Probably will bump up to 2 x 96 VHO actinic shortly, PC bulbs are a waste of time IMO - yet what my tank/setup came with.
Old 03/09/2005, 10:06 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i've got 1x400w 20K XM and 1x400s Ushio 10k BURN BABY BURN!

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 03/10/2005, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Lunch I am with you. I run 400 xm 10k, and a 400 Iwasaki 65k.
Nothing but a weed garden of acros and montis
Old 03/10/2005, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

acrohead,, i was thinking running a 250 xm 20k with my 6500 iwasaki . think that would give me a good mix
Old 03/10/2005, 12:54 AM
RockStar

subywankenobi, I have the same Maristar fixture in my 3 feet long 65g SPS tank and I can keep ANY coral with this lightning. It's an extremelly nice and well built fixture, the best. You won't be sorry with it.
Old 03/10/2005, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Lunchbucket, I would recommend spreading those bulbs wider apart. They cover 2 feet x 2 feet. The heat from them being side by side like that may actually hurt the bulb life.
Mine are about 1.5 feet apart.

Nuclear- the color difference is very visable to the eye. But the 65k does give nice growth and still brings out blues and purples on acros and gives GREAT growth.
Old 03/10/2005, 09:35 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by MiddletonMark
I ran 2 x 175w MH + 2 x 55w PC actinic on a PFO parallel reflector for quite a while - upgraded to 2 x 250 a while ago on my 58.

Not that huge a difference IMO, but like how there are few shadows like when I had just one bulb over it.

Probably will bump up to 2 x 96 VHO actinic shortly, PC bulbs are a waste of time IMO - yet what my tank/setup came with.
I agree with Mark here.. I have 1 250 s/e ushio and 2 vho actinics... I hate the shadows and the ends of the tank not having good lighting... I am going to switch out too two 150 hqi d/e bulbs... ...

By the way I love the color of the ushio with 2 actinics... 10 k XM's are cool too.

Dave
Old 03/10/2005, 03:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

acrohead - i have TWO 4" fans that will blow across them when they are on. they switch on w/ the temp controller now but i will have them on when i am running the two bulbs. i wanted them that way so i don't have one side yellow and one side blue. they mix PERFECT that way. Gesheilds ran bulbs like that for a long time and i have asked people before and they said it won't bother anything

how many hours/day you running each bulb?

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 03/10/2005, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newmoon
subywankenobi, I have the same Maristar fixture in my 3 feet long 65g SPS tank and I can keep ANY coral with this lightning. It's an extremelly nice and well built fixture, the best. You won't be sorry with it.
That's some good feedback.....I think I'm set on the Maristar, now just figuring out which supplementation to go with, actinics or blue plus? Hmmm.....
Old 03/11/2005, 02:01 AM
Registered Member

10.5 hrs a day.
Old 03/11/2005, 03:21 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

10.5hrs for BOTH bulbs? you run the iwaki 10.5 and the 10k 10.5hr?

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 03/12/2005, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

Yes. Both.
Old 03/12/2005, 04:28 AM
Registered Member

Ps, the pics in the yahoo album are with single halide.