Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03/15/2007, 10:45 AM
Reef Crazy

Question Anyone compared T5 to VHO PAR yet???

I remember a few months back, I raised this question, and was shocked that no one knew the answer or had data, especially with so much talk of how good T5's are.

If you compare, say, a 48" 110W UVL Super Actinic VHO to a 48" 54W UVL Super Actinic T5, which would put out more PAR? The same could go for a "daylight" bulb comparison.

The T5 would have it's own individual reflector, like a TEK or Icecap, and the VHO would have it's normal internal reflector

The T5 would be driven on the spec T5 ballast (not overdriven on the IC 660), and the VHO would be on the Icepcap or similar VHO ballast.

...and I'm talking about real data, not a blanket statement the T5's are better...

BTW, I have both T5's and VHO's on my 90g.

Dan