Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/11/2006, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Hard to Forgive.....

HELP!

Girlfriend (yeah she's done salty fish for more than a decade both professionally and as a passion) just f'ing nuked one of my 200's. She thought there was a problem with ick (there might/might not have been) and dosed with enough copper to re-plate the friggin statue of liberty. (didn't measure, squirted and guesstimated) Did it when I was at work....

By the time I came home ms junkie had laid waste to a ~200 gallon tank with the following inhabitants: Goldflake Angel, Queen Angel, French Angel, Red Coris, LM Blenny, Dogface Puffer, and a couple hundred pounds of live rock. Thus far the Goldflake and Queen are dead. Coris is MIA, puffer is huddled and panting, french isn't doing too bad considering. Blenny is 50/50...

She wasn't drunk, tired, mad (that I know of and IF she was the LAST thing she'd take it out on would be an animal of any kind), or anything other than careless and thought she knew best.

Only had enough spare salt on hand for 30 or so gallons so I had to run to Petco and drop almost $70 on a jug of instant ocean. Only thing I hate more than paying too much is paying too much at Petco but they were the only ones open with salt. Still a drop in a large bucket given the damage (haven't even BEGUN to figure the cost in dollars yet...)

Presently, I have about a 3 softballs worth of activated carbon in a filter sock, a massive dose of IO Prime, a fair amount of "stability", and a 50% water change later we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Near as I can tell the rock is toast, the remaining fish are very touchy, and the biological aspects of the nitrogen cycle are ****ed. Given the water change and additives (I know prime fubars test results) I can't really trust chemistry tests. They seem to indicate 8.1 ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ~35 nitrates, temp never gets far from 79f, .020 sg. Seachem and Tetra test kits. Don't have a copper test kit anymore, wouldn't of dosed without one but ahem....

I'm in more than a little bit of shock and dismay. When the person who taught you almost all you know (not counting here, WWM crew, etc) about salty fish goes and does something so arrogant and bone headed your at a bit of a loss.

Only saving thing I can say is luckily I moved the big longhorn cowfish and my eldest dogface (they are bonded/best friends to each other) to a retirement/dedicated tank less than two weeks ago and as of this posting are doing fine.

To you other experts out there....what am I missing? Any steps I need to take I'm forgetting in the confusion of it all? Any ideas or hail mary's? Outside of close observation and another water change in 48 hours I'm tapped. Thoughts?

Anyone have a good plan for going forward for those critters that do make it? Sorry, still a bit mentally numb from the crash...

Thanks all,
Lee