Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02/20/2006, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

Toto,
If someone pecked my brain, ordered online, then came to me for support I would not like it. But don't get me wrong, I don't pretend to know what it is like to be a LFS owner/operator. I have owned a couple of small businesses that have failed so I do know what failure is like. And both failures were MY fault. But they were not comparable businesses to LFS's. One business was an electrical contracting business and the other was a tube amp repair and customizing business. But that's beside the point.
The first time I asked for advice at the LFS was for the pump to put in my sump. He reccomended a Mag Model 3 for my 90 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump down below. It had a difficult time pushing the water up the pipe. I took it back and traded it for other items and ordered a Mag 750GPH pump for less than they sold me the model 3. Since then I have used this forum almost exclusively for advice. I use my LFS for advice on livestock, consumables, and items I need quickly and I buy there.
BTW, all I ordered online was my heater, skimmers, lights, test kit, and pumps. I bought my tank, stand, canopy, live rock, sump, plumbing, power strips, timers, hydrometer, bio-balls, filter media, food, supplements, and everything else local. BTW, my LFS is the one who reccomended bio-balls. I'm going to phase them out after reading about them being nitrate factories here on RC.
I did order a claening crew online but that was because my LFS did not have any snails and only 6 big hermit crabs and did not expect to get another bunch until next month.
And I bought my first skimmer at the LFS, a Red Sea Prizm. That is what the LFS reccomended and it was what they had on the shelf. I found out here that it was not enough. My Won Brothers WU-200 is pulling much more crap out of my water.
I have spent much more money locally than online, but a majority of the useful information I got was online.