Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10/08/2005, 12:09 PM
TRC Leader

Lightbulb Quarantine 101

Well I haven’t received any new fish in a long time so it’s been awhile since I have needed to set up my quarantine tank. I am getting ready to welcome a pair of Percula clownfish today and I needed to be ready. They wild caught and I am anticipating disease (not to say that captive breed can’t have disease). I thought I’d document what I will be doing for them and how I go about quarantining my fish. For as much as Anthony speaks of the need to quarantine I thought it would be a good idea to have such a thread in here with his (and many others) input!

So I thought my 17 gallon acrylic tank would do the trick. It’s the right size for the fish I want to QT as they are both under 2�. It’s pretty basic. I use to use this tank as sump many years ago (you can see the hole in the right side for the return pump, and how beat up it is) but have it sealed up to use as my QT tank. It was a cheap and fitting idea. People don’t need to go out a buy a brand new fancy tank. I’ve seen quarantine tanks using a Rubbermaid tub and it was excellent! I lined the back and sides black, leaving only the front open for viewing. I also covered the top with eggcrate to keep any jumpers in place

Equipment list:
  • 17 gallon tank
  • Heater
  • HOB (hang on back) filter
  • Small powerhead and or air pump (I’m using the air pump this time)
  • PVC for hiding
  • Tank cover (eggcrate)
  • Thermometer
  • Test kits
  • Medications (think ahead!)
  • Ammonia lock and Ammonia badge (to let me know if things get out of hand)
  • Refractometer

I don’t use any lighting right now. This is in a dimly lit room and the tank will only really get ambient room light and a little sun light from a near by window. Later on I will add some lights, but for now I don’t bother. I think it helps keep the fish calm to have a dimly lit tank. The PVC is for the fish to have a place to hide and escape to. No live rock and no sand! It is likely that I will treat this tank with some sort of medication so I am not out to destroy good rock or sand.

The hang on back filter has a sponge in it, which had been in my main tank for a good 5 days. The tank is filled with salt water from my main display. SG 1.025, pH 8.3. Temp at 81 degrees. I will be doing frequent water changes to keep the water quality nice and high. As well as siphoning out food and waste at the end of the day to help make my water quality upkeep easy. The ammonia lock is in case of emergency and the ammonia badge lets me know if anything is getting out of hand. I also have 10 gallons of aged salt water ready at all times in case I need to do a big water change.

Here are some links about a basic setup that will prove helpful.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure

QT Procedures for Clownfish

OK, some pics! Forgive the poor quality. I was wrestling a puppy the whole time trying to take them.

Pretty simple, nice area to slide this tank (it’s in a guest bathroom that gets no use).

You can see the HOB filter in this one. Pardon the puppy, he is a camera whore.

Places to hide! Also that bowl is pretty nifty for clowns, that or a clay pot. They love to swish around in there.

The ammonia alert and you might make out the bubbler in the background. I am using the bubbles because it is better at keeping the pH up. This room can get stuffy so it really does need it. Also, you can see the hash mark for the water level. So I know when it's time to top off with RO/DI water.

As of now this QT has been up and running for three days.