Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02/13/2005, 08:22 PM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally posted by tankslave
why the heck would you put sand in your tank, other than it looks pretty....

Why keep a nutrient sink?
Go back to the Berlin system: LR+Skimmer. Its all you need.
Actually, it has been my experience and the experience of many others that a sandbed is required for keeping pods, and pods are required for mandarins. I yanked my DSB to grow shrooms and zoos on the glass (whick looks awesome in other people's tanks, but I'd rather have pods) my pods dissappeared, so I still don't have a mandarin. With ample pods, everything I've read about mandarins says they are a robust fish, and you don't have to worry about feeding them when you go on vacation. Like anything else, you just have to know where they come from. Plus, IMO they are gorgeous. So that's why the heck someone would put sand in their tank.

By the way-when I yanked my sandbed, it was Bomber who first told me I would loose my pods. When I asked why I lost my pods (months later), it was Dr. Ron who pointed out my missing sandbed. So no matter what side of the "DSB/BB" argument you are on (if you give a crap) either side will say you need some sand for pods.
Quote:
Originally posted by tankslave
I wouldn't talk about "raping the ocean" on a reefer thread. If you have a tank with one fish in it, there was about 5-10 fish that died on the way so that your fish could get to your tank.
Let us not generalize, grasshopper. I have 3 fish in my 125-a pajama cardinal and 2 clowns. All three were captive bred. The clowns were ORA, I don't know who bred the cardinal but the fish was tiny and the price was not. From what I understand, cardinals are not often bred because of the high price needed. All my rock was either made by me, dry limestone-type rock, or bought from local clubmembers who had some to spare.

So, while I plan on a some wild-caught fish in the future (maybe this year, maybe not), I wouldn't say I've been raping the ocean. I eat more fish in a year than I buy, anyways. Someday I'll get that mandarin, maybe a copper banded butterfly, which is a baitfish.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!