Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09/25/2003, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

StroKnight: First of all, I am no qualified electrician so take this for what it's worth. The easy route would be to total your amperage of all the equipment and see if you are overloading the current circuit. Remember to add all other non-tank devices from the same circuit. If you are not exceeding the circuit breakers rated amperage, just add a power strip or two to gain more plug receptacles. If you are exceeding the breaker, you will need to add a new circuit. If you are not comfortable or experienced with working with electricity, by all means, hire a qualified electrician. If you are capable and willing considering the hazards involved, you may want to first pick up a how-to book specific to wiring. These are great sources of information on how to do this the proper way. You'll also need to consider your local codes. In addition, always turn the power off before working on any electrical project. With that said, it's pretty straight forward but no easy task. I say that because it may involve climbing in your attic or, slightly easier, in your basement. I have attic wiring as basements are not utilized in my area. So, you would first run the Romex wire from the breaker box all the way to the point where you want to add the outlet. This could involve fishing the line through the walls after drilling through studs and headers, careful to not damage existing wiring. You can find retrofit double (or more) gang outlet boxes that require you to enlarge your existing hole or create a new one. Then connect the wires to the new receptacle and mount it in the new box. You'll need to get a compatible breaker for your breaker box of the needed amperage. I used two 30 amp for my setup. If the box is of a new design, the breakers simply snap in place in a open location. Then wire the new line to the breaker box for this breaker. This is where there are differences and you need to follow the same configuration as the existing wiring. Again, this is not a project for the faint of heart or inexperienced as the results can be deadly, as in dead. I have been wiring and rewiring for many years now so I have experience but still a great respect for the power of electricity. Pun intended.